WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:52 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: blank firing Maxim
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 22:58 pm 

The 2nd guards have occassionally trotted out a firing maxim under a Section 5 firearms licence: Does anyone know whether it fired normal blank ammo or tipped blanks?

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 23:57 pm 
5000+ Poster

Location: Performing my Internationalist Duty in the People's Democratic Republic of Felixstan
The standard Russian military crimped 7.62x54R that you nearly always see used with MN's... which is why the MN's are always so loud, its high power stuff for use with machine guns (PT/PK/PKM probably as the Maxim is long out of service!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:25 am 

ta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:03 am 
4000+ Poster

And not particularly reliable with it...

Ð

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:44 am 
5000+ Poster

Location: Performing my Internationalist Duty in the People's Democratic Republic of Felixstan
I'm never quite sure where the reliability issue comes from... at one point Colin had it pretty well sussed and all was well as long as he was part of the gun team... but then again I seem to remember him saying at Detling that he simply couldnt get it running :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 16:43 pm 

To the point of hitting the breech block into place with a gun butt to make it reseat. Of course, by that point it might just have been because he was rather angry with it...

'In the Name of the People!'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 18:35 pm 
1000+ Poster

I have a Finnish blank firing adaptor for a Maxim if anyone has any interesting Maxim related swaps.

Post subject: maxim
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 19:08 pm 
I NEVER HIT THE MAXIM WITH A WEAPON ! :shock:

I USED MY FIST , WHICH WAS WHY MY HAND WAS BLEEDING :D

THE CUP AT THE MUZZLE KEPT TURNING ITSELF LOOSE , CHANGING THE HEAD SPACING , WITHOUT A MARK ON THE THREAD TO SHOW THE EXACT POSITION TO TURN THE CUP TO , THE COCKING HANDLE DID`NT FULLY RETURN TO ITS CORRECT POSITION ( DOWN )

HENCE SWEARING , HITTING WITH HAND , MORE SWEARING , OH! NO! BLOOD MOTHER , BLOOD ........... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 23:47 pm 
5000+ Poster

No, I can't imagine Comrade Grigoriev ever abusing the People's Weaponry... he has more respect for them than that!

Did you ever work out why it was doing that? Its never done that before has it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:13 am 
JOHN OXLADES MAXIM WAS FINE , WE USED IT AT THE TANK MUSEUM NORFOLK , THE ONE AT DETLING WAS THE EVENT ORGANISERS .
RAY AND MYSELF EXPLAINED THE PROBLEM TO HIM , BUT HE BRUSHED IT OFF WITH A ` ITS ALRIGHT I TAKE IT LIVE FIRING , IT MUST BE THE MAN USING IT `

SO , WE STRIPPED IT RIGHT DOWN , CLEANED IT ALL ( FILTHY INSIDE ) AND TEST FIRED .
ALL SEEMED FINE .
NEXT DISPLAY THE SAME PROBLEM .
A HANDY HINT , WHEN USING THE MAXIM , KEEP A WET CLOTH TO TIGHTEN THE CUP TO THE CORRECT POSITION IT GETS RED HOT .
IT ALL BOILED DOWN TO THE GAS RETURN CUP , NO WAY TO RESET IT TO THE CORRECT POSITION WITH NO MARKS TO GUIDE YOU .
I`M NOT SURE HOW TO LOCK THE CUP INTO POSITION TO ENABLE SMOOTH FIRING , ANY IDEAS OUT THERE ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:17 am 

Group: Second Battle Group
GRIGORIEV wrote:
THE ONE AT DETLING WAS THE EVENT ORGANISERS .RAY AND MYSELF EXPLAINED THE PROBLEM TO HIM , BUT HE BRUSHED IT OFF WITH A ` ITS ALRIGHT I TAKE IT LIVE FIRING , IT MUST BE THE MAN USING IT `

And therein lies the problem. Live firing is way different than blank firing, and if the weapon is not set up correctly, well you know what happens.
They all run OK on live ammo, its an art to make them run well on blank.

gurowski

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 18:45 pm 
THERE MUST BE MORE TO IT THAN BLANK VS LIVE , JOHN OXLADES WAS LIVE FIRING BUT HE MARKED THE THREAD WHERE THE CUP SCREWS ON, SO IT COULD BE RE-ALIAGNED WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS , IT WENT BANG MANY TIMES VERY SMOOTHLY .

ITS VERY ANNOYING TO BE DOING A SHOW IN FRONT OF HUNDREDS OF PUNTERS WHEN YOUR TRUSTY MAXIM DECIDES ITS NOT GOING TO PLAY ANYMORE , UNLESS ITS SINGLE SHOTS ......AND INVOLVING MY BLOOD AS LUBRICANT .

( BY THE WAY , HI STEVE MK11 GOES FANTASTIC )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 20:33 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: 2nd guards rifle division
the maxim at detling was awful every day it was a different problem every day we took it back told them the problem and the next day something new wasnt workng waste of time especially having about 6 men standing around it swearing and trying to figure it out.

cheers andy

http://2ndguards.com/index.html

Post subject: maxim
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:18 am 
I THINK THAT IF 2nd GUARDS ARE GOING TO USE A MAXIM , IT WILL HAVE TO BE HIRED FROM JOHN OXLADE , HIS WORKS :D

AT DETLING WE HAD NO CHOICE , JOHN HAD HIS MAXIM THERE , BUT WE WERE NOT ALLOWED TO USE IT ,THE SHOW ORGANISER TOLD US WE HAD TO USE HIS FOR ALL THREE SHOWS , EVEN WHEN HE WAS TOLD ITS NOT WORKING :evil:

FROM MY OWN POINT OF VIEW , I WILL STAY CLEAR OF MAXIM`S UNLESS SUPPLIED BY JOHN . :wink:

I HOPE THE PROBLEMS WITH THIS TYPE OF WEAPON DOES NOT PUT YOU ALL OFF HAVING A GO WITH ONE , YOU DO GET TO KNOW THE IN AND OUTS OF IT , :D .

AND BESIDES , WHEN IT DOES WORK :D :D :D :shock: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 21:42 pm 
 WWW  Profile

REME 245 wrote:
I have a Finnish blank firing adaptor for a Maxim if anyone has any interesting Maxim related swaps.

I would be interested, but the only thing I have to swap is cash. If you're interested in selling please PM me.