WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:59 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: DP-28 Non Guns
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:09 am 

Hi y'all
been reading up on soviet infantry tactics and if we manage to recruit enough people on this side of the Irish sea to form a rifle section, we will need a light machine gun.
Saw this on an American site: http://www.mg34.com/DP28.html
Does anyone know anything about these? Would it be a good investment?

Thanks

Hugh

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:16 am 
3000+ Poster

Group: Za Oboronu! (For Defence!)
I don't think that American 'non-guns' are legal here in the UK but things may be different in Northern Ireland.

Obviously over here on the mainland we use de-acts - price range seems to be £195-£250 at the moment depending on who you go to.

The 13th have two so we can represent a 'Shock Army' section :wink: .

Quote:
"Memory is deceptive because it is coloured by today's events." Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:20 am 
5000+ Poster

Location: Performing my Internationalist Duty in the People's Democratic Republic of Felixstan
No the American "non guns" definitely are not legal here as at the very least they contain a real barrel.

I know NI has a slight variation on mainland gun laws, but I don't think it will allow for the possession of automatic weapon parts :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:25 am 

Hi Guys
thanks for the info on this.
I suppose I'm looking for something more than a deact for displays. Would Steve Vickers have one of these for hire as a blank firer?

H

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:53 am 
5000+ Poster

Location: Performing my Internationalist Duty in the People's Democratic Republic of Felixstan
Can't remember if I have seen either of the two usual S5 theatrical hire dealers with a DP28.

I suspect the problem will be (like several other WW2 weapons) that it would be hard to make it work with the short 7.62x54R blank that we use with both MN rifles and the Maxim MMG.

Thats probably why its not a regular feature in our skirmishes with the fascists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:03 am 
3000+ Poster

John Oxlade used to have one - that's a few years ago now though so not sure if it's still there.

As Comrade Kozlov says the magazine needs to be adapted to take the short 7.62x54r blanks.

I wonder if the DT would work better?

Quote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:09 am 
5000+ Poster

I dunno if the DT would be better, the principles still the same, the rounds need to drop from the mag into the open breach and be pushed home. Usually the problem is because of the lack of the pointy end on the blank makes it not go so easily into the tapered breach.

There has to be a reason - especially with John, why they arent available and its almost certainly because of misfire problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:21 am 
3000+ Poster

Actually I think it was de-acted. The issue is that the base of the round needs to be out at the edge of the pan otherwise it isn't in the right position when it's presented to the weapon and mis-feeds. So, you need a 'filler' in the centre of the pan.

Similarly with drum mags on SMGs you need something to hold the round against the back of the drum. I know Steve Vickers has a small piece of metal welded to the front plate to 'kick' the round backwards as it comes up to the feed lips and I presume John does something similar. Interestingly, (well, if you're a saddo like us :wink: ) when out in the CR I noticed that they used ring shaped bakelite fillers to hold every round back. I don't know if it was an issue item or just something they'd knocked up.

Why do I know all this stuff? :roll:

Quote:

Last edited by Frontovik on Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:22 am 

So, it's looking like we will need a couple of strong volunteers to tow the maxim up and down the hills. :roll:
How about a lendlease bren gun :?:

:D H :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:27 am 
5000+ Poster

Yes, we normally use the Maxim :D

One thing with the Maxim, you need to have a damned good understanding of this pretty complex weapon to keep it firing with blank.

Luckily our #1 Maxim man is actually very knowledgable.

Its not too much of a problem to move about actually - not on the wheels anyway. Our crew have got it pretty well sorted with moving, setting up and firing now - but only through a lot of trial and error!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:35 am 
3000+ Poster

Quote:
How about a lendlease bren gun

Only if it's got a lend lease carrier underneath it :wink:

Quote: