WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:12 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 16:37 pm 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
Did the thousands of Thompsons shipped to the Soviet forces get any field use?
Got an airsoft game coming up and I'm searching for a suitable weapon. Soviet systems are rare and expensive in the airsoft world.
An MP40 is one other option.

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
"Truth is incontrovertible, ignorance can deride it, panic may resent it, malice may destroy it, but there it is."

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 20:53 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Location: WPFG Centre. (Operating within Moscow Centre's Scale of Norms)
Group: Za Ob/WPFG Complex e i gentiluomini.
LeMaitre wrote:
Did the thousands of Thompsons shipped to the Soviet forces get any field use?
Got an airsoft game coming up and I'm searching for a suitable weapon. Soviet systems are rare and expensive in the airsoft world.
An MP40 is one other option.

Comrade,
Lease-Lend Vehicles were supplied fully equipped, so if a AFV Complex had a Thompson as part of its Scale of Issue Norm, then it would be so supplied.
Lease-Lend Small Arms Weapons had little use in the General Red Army Armoury scales, a lot went to State Organ's that would only need limited Ammunition supplies that were available to Foreign Weapons... Historical Documents show The NKVD used P14's on the Leningrad Front... :oops: nice thought, is it not?

:D

"We have internal enemies. We have external enemies. This, comrades, must not be forgotten for a single moment"
( Comrade Stalin, 1928)

"Who watches The Watchmen?"... The NKVD.

"The Devil came to me one night, he struck his claws into my hands, I prayed for him to stop but he wouldn't .....so I told him to F' off..... he did".
(An old Russia lady)

"We will fight for peace until there isn't one stone left standing on another".
(Soviet folk-saying)

"Gesplitzenblitz !" ( Peter Sellers)

"To err is to be arrested ".
"To forgive is not within the Scale of Norms".

Last edited by Viktor on Fri Nov 20, 2009 19:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 21:38 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: Za Oboronu! (For Defence!)
As Viktor says the majority arrived as part of a vehicle's equipment.

Having said that apart form the famous picture of the Stuart crews in the maize field I've seen...

A picture of a Northern Fleet landing party where one sailor is carrying a Thompson.
One picture of a German soldier carrying a captured Thompson.
And the picture that's about eighth if you scroll down here... http://www.katardat.org/marxuniv/2002-S ... ngrad.html

Quote:
"Memory is deceptive because it is coloured by today's events." Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:30 am 
 WWW  Profile

Group: E Co. 2 Batt, 16th Regt. 1st Infantry Division
I have heard that they were not used much due to lack of ammo availability.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 0:20 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
Ttaskmaster wrote:
I have heard that they were not used much due to lack of ammo availability.

Well, thats what Wikipedia says, but on the other hand, the actual lend-lease documents say that 306,065,000 rounds of .45 ACP were shipped to the Soviets (approximately half the figure sent to Britain) to go with 137,729 .45 calibre SMG's (which may also include M3's as well as Thompsons). 651,086 were sent to Britain.

The actual total does become more difficult to work out, because the figures don't allow for any items Britain might have onward shipped to the Soviets themselves - this did go on a fair bit with lend lease stuff you might be surprised to learn.

But anyway, at face value, thats ~2222 rounds per .45 calibre SMG in Soviet hands.

In the vast scale of the Great Patriotic War thats still quite small numbers BTW.... :D

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:51 am 
1000+ Poster

There is an interesting thread here if you can read it.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=127083

If the Russians received any M1 and M1A1 rather than the 1928 model dealers are yet to import any.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:41 am 
 WWW  Profile

Group: E Co. 2 Batt, 16th Regt. 1st Infantry Division
I'd heard it elsewhere, actually - I don't actually use Wiki much. However I did just go look, for the sake of it.
Perhaps whoever I heard it from was quoting that.

Andrei Kozlov wrote:
But anyway, at face value, thats ~2222 rounds per .45 calibre SMG in Soviet hands.

I actually went and did that calculation before I continued reading your post :oops: :lol:

Love your Sisters Of Mercy reference, BTW!!

I did wonder how that quantity would pan out, given that it'd be split between different weapons and that likely not everything would have been issued....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 13:05 pm 
4000+ Poster

Anyway, to answer the original question, for airsoft I would be inclined to say it was possible, there is some photographic evidence and as was stated for some bizarre reason broad availability of Soviet AEG's is not available in the marketplace yet.

I have carried my old M1928A1 for RKKA reenactment a few times in the past too ;-)

(glad someone likes SOM too :D)

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 13:31 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: Za Oboronu! (For Defence!)
REME 245 wrote:
If the Russians received any M1 and M1A1 rather than the 1928 model dealers are yet to import any.

Didn't Ryton bring some M1s or M1A1s in from Russia a handful of years back? Mind you they could have been 'untraceable weapons' given as a quid pro quo from somewhere in SE Asia. :wink:

Quote:
"Memory is deceptive because it is coloured by today's events." Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 13:38 pm 
4000+ Poster

Yup, Ryton had quite a few M1/M1A1's a while back and all definitely came from their usual Karkhov arms dump.

I wouldn't read too much into what American collectors say they see on their market.

The Lend Lease doccos don't actually specify anything beyond ".45 calibre SMG", so its impossible to say what was actually shipped and indeed the weapons from Ryton are not guaranteed to be Lend Lease and could have been aquired anywhere along the line. You'd need to check the serial numbers and follow it up with the manufacturer as to where they went - although that would probably just lead to "the US military" before they were transhipped to either the Soviets or some dodgy despotic post-war third world fascist regime ;-)