WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 23:10 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Bargin Mosins
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:56 am 

Not to sure where to post this,but here we go. http://www.worldwidearms.com/popup.cfm? ... &p_i=97161 Mosin rifles £79.00,could be a good deal if your good at repairing em!

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Bargin Mosins
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 13:06 pm 
1000+ Poster

WWA can't sell their Mosins because for £120.00 from Ryton Arms you can get an arsenal refurbished unissued example.

The WWA examples are pretty worn knocked about examples so it depends on what you want.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 22:53 pm 

Its kind of tempting... I have sympathetically repaired/restored a few WW1 rifles. Don't like mint condition as I feel they never had a life if mint. Just clean them up and repair cracks/ splits and pretty much leave as it is otherwise. I'd love one of the IMA Nepalese Cache :)

Would like a better picture though.

Gaz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:29 am 
3000+ Poster

Group: Za Oboronu! (For Defence!)
Plus sling and cleaning rod if you can find one. You're looking at c.£100 plus the work.

They're really not such a bargain.

Quote:
"Memory is deceptive because it is coloured by today's events." Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:12 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
I've been looking at MN's for the last few months (as surprisingly I don't currently own one) and basically it comes down to that you can get a decent GPW or pre-GPW dated deac one with bayonet, cleaning rod and sling for 120 quid and they aren't exactly rare.

You can get examples for less than 120 quid, but they won't have the aforementioned bits and will be scabby.

Now if we were talking about 1000 quid for a complete one, then some DIY might be something to consider, but for 120 quid, I'll just hand over the cash.

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:28 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: A humble militaria collector at your service
Quite a good option if you wanted a relatively inexpensive test piece on which to practice gun restoration / repair. But as mentioned, in terms of eventual resale value it would be a money-loser.

E.g. About 5-6 years ago I bought a semi-knackered military style percussion musket from WWA at Detling for £50. I had some fun / gained some knowledge cleaning it up and repairing the lock and it now hangs on the wall.

Give the brightest light.
Safe in your place deep in the earth
That's when they'll know what you were really worth.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:08 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: lytham wartime
might try one

james

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 14:22 pm 

For me it would be a wall hanger as I dont reenact Soviet, so no need for a sling or Bayonet. It all depends whats you want and what you do. For me it would be a little fun project, for you something for your display. Its out of my time frame as I collect WW1 but I do have an interest in ww2 firearms.

See how I feel next payday and might give it a go.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 23:28 pm 
4000+ Poster

Bear in mind that the cleaning rod, bayonet and sling are all part of the original weapon, not optional extras... even to stick on the wall I'd want at least the cleaning rod and the bayonet...

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:35 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Location: WPFG Centre. (Operating within Moscow Centre's Scale of Norms)
Group: Za Ob/WPFG Complex e i gentiluomini.
Comrades,
If the Weapon System was an early De-ack then I would be interested, but to have a decent Weapon System to throw your self against the Gitlerite Vandal horde is better, a Ryton Complex in good condition with matching numbers is rather than a "bitter" that looks like it was buried by one of the "Encircled", it just looks much more Soldierly....

"We are an Army, not a Circus!" (a Red Army Kommendeer on seeing unauthorised Slogans painted on his Tanks.)

Now, if it is a Research and Development project it be undertaken by your Rezidency, then permission can be sort from Moscow Centre, having achieved such a Production quota in the past it is soothing your Political Perception to return a piece of State Property to serviceable condition and the defence of Mother Russia.

Of course, the hunting down of the Wrecker that caused the liquidation of such a Complex in the first place is beyond the scope of this Thread, but allows others to fill their quotas :twisted: .

:D

"We have internal enemies. We have external enemies. This, comrades, must not be forgotten for a single moment"
( Comrade Stalin, 1928)

"Who watches The Watchmen?"... The NKVD.

"The Devil came to me one night, he struck his claws into my hands, I prayed for him to stop but he wouldn't .....so I told him to F' off..... he did".
(An old Russia lady)

"We will fight for peace until there isn't one stone left standing on another".
(Soviet folk-saying)

"Gesplitzenblitz !" ( Peter Sellers)

"To err is to be arrested ".
"To forgive is not within the Scale of Norms".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 15:20 pm 
3000+ Poster

peregrinvs wrote:
Quite a good option if you wanted a relatively inexpensive test piece on which to practice gun restoration / repair. But as mentioned, in terms of eventual resale value it would be a money-loser.

Mosins are never an investment. Back in 1999 I bought a WWA one for about £80. It is true that I didn't have to do any work to it though - I'd describe it "Fair Condition, Used". I then had to source the cleaning rod, sling and bayonet. All told I probably spent around £120.

And that's probably about what I'd get for the bits if I sold them.

Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 16:19 pm 
4000+ Poster

[quote="FrontovikMosins are never an investment. [/quote]

And so it should be! None of that capitalism here, the value of the item should be the value of the labour ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:52 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: A humble militaria collector at your service
Frontovik wrote:
Mosins are never an investment. Back in 1999 I bought a WWA one for about £80. It is true that I didn't have to do any work to it though - I'd describe it "Fair Condition, Used". I then had to source the cleaning rod, sling and bayonet. All told I probably spent around £120.

The second deact I ever owned was a M1891/30 - purchased in about 1988/1989 from a gun shop somewhere near Brentwood for the grand sum of £35. (Advertised in Gun Mart - they had a load of them) One thing I recall compared to more recent deacts were the tiny, token spot welds holding the rod in the barrel.

It was 1935 dated and had a hexagonal receiver, so probably relatively desirable now. I later sold it - along with a sling and bayonet - for a modest profit.

Whilst idly reminiscing, my third deact was an old-spec Czech ZK-383 SMG from R.I.F.L.E. in Little Eaton. Some of you may recall how said dealer later turned out to be seriously dodgy, but thankfully their activities had nothing to do with me.

Give the brightest light.
Safe in your place deep in the earth
That's when they'll know what you were really worth.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 18:03 pm 

Has anyone bought a nagant from WWA recently? If so do you have pics of what it is like, condition etc. Their site doesnt really show you much, and I havent received a reply from them.

I only ask because I am considering getting one. As it will just be in my room it does not have to be in great condition etc.

I have considered Ryton Arms but I'm looking to spend as little as possible because I'm pretty skint.

I was also on the lookout for a (cheapish :o laugh if you want lol ) carbine

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:08 am 
1000+ Poster

Go to one of the shows they attend and hand pick one.

Even then as has already been commented it will be a well worn in complete example which you will probably never get your money back on.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:16 am 
3000+ Poster

For some strange reason carbines seem to be as expensive (if not more so) than the full length rifles at the moment.

It can be worth trawling the militaria fairs. There's usually several Mosins at Chatham for example.

Otherwise;
- there's Milweb (there's a 91/30 been on there for a couple of weeks),
- you can hang round here (tubbystail is selling a 44 carbine at the mo'),
- panzergrenadier.co.uk
- RedArmyLivingHistory.com

Quote: