WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:11 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 18:26 pm 

On Thursday I will say goodbye to my grandfather for the last time
He joined the army in 1938 ( it was one of the choices the magistrate gave him) he was at Dunkirk an went in side his tank to retrieve a pack of cigarettes when a shell hit his mates on the outside were killed but he survived although wounded and was evacuated later he went to Egypt and El Alamein and on to Sicily then Monte cassino were he was wounded after recovering he ended in Berlin until he left in 1949 a few years ago I took him to the royal armouries were the IWM were recording stories for the national archives I also managed to get him replacement medals and a
battledress jacket with badges and a beret the family got the British legion to present then to him later the same year l took him to the local armforces day were he and some other veteran received the salute
Today when I went to collect the last of his things from the nursing home the matron asked to see me she gave me a letter my grandfather had dictated and a box containing his medal photos playbook and beret and jacket as he said that understood what they meant to him and would keep them safe
To my grandfather Mr J Bender

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 19:23 pm 

Rip ikm in a similar situation at this time

Private When i said there was a camel close by for you to ride i meant you could ride it into town !!!!!!!!!

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

http://vietnamreenactors.myfastforum.org

http://vietnamuk.moonfruit.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 21:02 pm 
1000+ Poster

Hat-tip to your grandfather Andrew