WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 0:51 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Not interested - sadly
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 17:09 pm 

I was having tea & sarnies in a café in Sandown Isle of Wight and on the table next to us was a young lady (mid 20's) and her granddad. I couldn't help overhearing as he began telling her stories of his experiences in WW2 (the café was right above the beach and I think looking out to sea may have got his memories stirring).
The point is this - I was eavesdropping, as like most of us, I can never hear enough veterans' stories, but sadly she didn't seem particularly interested and quickly changed the subject to other things. He tried twice to bring it back to his wartime experiences (he obviously REALLY wanted to talk about it) but again she showed a lack of interest. I wish now I'd given him my phone number as I'd happily spend hours listening to his exploits, but I didn't. Then as I was leaving they were now sitting in silence - how sad...

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 18:10 pm 

Should have done it Bob or at least made the attempt, at least if you had tried and he hadn't got in touch you'd have been no worse off!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 20:16 pm 

Group: independent
its so sad that the younger members of society - ie, my age range (i`m 30) and younger - seem to have the attitude of 'oh its ancient history, so what?!?!'. both my grandfathers served, 1 in Italy and the other through Normandy. Both my grandma`s served at home, making munitions and parachutes. unfortunately, 3 of them had passed away before I was born, so its not like I can hear their experiences but I CAN listen to the stories of other veterans. I`d have loved to have been sat nearby (in my ww2 kit, btw! 8) ) and made an effort to listen to him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 16:41 pm 

Same here Bob, I talked to a WW2 Veteran at a exhibition, about a month ago, he told me he was in the Royal Navy, and his job on D-Day was to ferry the Americans to Utah Beach, then later a Naval Officer told him as there hadn't been many Naval casualties, he was going to be put into the army, and sent out to the war in Japan, then they dropped the bombs, thank goodness he said, this was all said in a short time, has school children just coming in, wish now I had asked him could I meet up with him and talk more.

Last edited by pioneer64 on Wed Jan 14, 2015 22:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 22:29 pm 
1000+ Poster

Bob, had almost the same thing sat of a bench in Bournemouth last summer. It was about an hour before the air show was due to start. There was this old fella sat on the bench with a bloke in his late 20's (turned out to be his grandson), there was this old boy talking about the support ships of the RN in the bay, well again this young guy was more interested in his phone. So I just chipped in with the opening, do you know what sort of ship that is? and that was it, he was off, His name was Ronald HardCastle, at the age of 21 he was a gunner on the British light cruiser HMS Black Prince.
We chatted for so long the grandson went of for a phone call and was gone 4 hours!. we were going no where so Ronald stayed with us till the grandson returned, we watched soom of the air show, but talked most of the time about his war..... I wish I had a recorder with me, i had all interest in the planes over head, till the spitfire came over. I was amazed and amused by some of the stories, include firing on the Germans from off Utah beach, then moving off to the south of france.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 22:11 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: AFRA, Oxf & Bucks LI, British Airborne Platoon
"Not interested - sadly"

Strangely (or sadly) enough I am thinking the same about people on the forum at the moment.

Living History Group
An AFRA affiliated group

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 18:16 pm 

It's not just youngsters who aren't interested. I was at Duxford yesterday in WAAF uniform when a woman in her 50s came up to me and said "oh my mum served in the WRNS so I suppose she must have had a uniform just like that. I never asked her about it though, all a bit boring."
I couldn't believe my ears. Not only did she think I was a WREN but she clearly had no interest whatsoever. It was all I could do to keep my mouth shut!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 18:27 pm 

On an even sadder note I was in London over the VE Day weekend. a number of us dressed in 40's clothes and uniform and met up in Trafalgar Square. The number of people who asked us why we were dressed funny was amazing. I can understand the foreign tourists but when a British Bobby asked us I was gobsmacked! When we told him we were celebrating the 70th anniversary on VE Day he said "Oh yes that was the end of some battle or other wasn't it?" I was speechless.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:52 pm 

To-day's people have a different value system that exactly contrary to the one our ancestors and a few of us to-day have. This is something that saddens me greatly as well, but if at least a few people remain grateful and show forth their gratitude all is not lost. One of my great-grandfathers got incapacitated in the First Battle of the Marne (He was in the French Army) and awoke during his own burial, spending the rest o the war in a hospital but thankfully having a full recovery, whereas his brother, who was in the British Army got fatally gassed in 1916. I wish I knew more about the latter, but I do not even have a rank, unit or first name. I only know that his last name was "Wright", which is not very helpful considering that there were hundreds of Wrights who served. I always hope that one day I will find at least a photograph of him.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 17:24 pm 

If only modern people realised that if we hadn't won then 30% of us wouldn't be here for the slave labour camps and the death camps, and opposing the regime would be suicidal.