WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:14 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Polar Gelignite
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 22:37 pm 

Hi All, I would like to make up some inert explosives, the sort of stuff that was issued to the Auxilliary Units, and was wondering if anyone has any info regarding the wrapper of a stick of N.S. Polar Gelignite, as mentioned in the "countrymans diary", I've managed to find info on Du Pont Gelignite, 808, and PE 2, and 3A, but the Polar evades me. The diary says it's marked as N.S. Polar Gelignite, but doesn't give any reference to a manufacturer, was it Nobel ??, or CXL, or an American company ??,. any info would be most welcome. Kev

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Polar Gelignite
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 17:50 pm 

I think Polar is the manufacturing company, if it's the same company they still exist in Canada as 'Polar Explosives Ltd'. It may be coincidence of course.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 22:50 pm 

I really don't know, but the Nobel works in Ardeer was manufacturing "Polar Ajax" and the wrapper for that had the Nobel logo, and I've found an old catalogue advert on Ebay, for "Polar Ammonia dynamite" showing a sketch of the crate which had a "Canadian Explosives Ltd" logo on it, I found Polar Explosives Ltd in a web search, and from what I could see, the company was recently formed, and some explosives used chemicals that are said to be "Polar", so I'm lost really, and half expecting it to be a product of a Mr. Norman Stanley Polar, working from his shed at number 43 Arcasia Terrace (1939). Mind you, a load of stuff was coming our way from Canada and the USA, so maybe it was Canadian, Kev

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 23:14 pm 
3000+ Poster

it is about polarity
not Mr Polar of Manitoba

you need a scientist to explain why though

Polar explosives used to be used in the mines a lot in the 1930 I thought it had something to do with whether it got damp and stopped working

If you have the last word and no one heard it - Did it happen? https://youtu.be/mQZmCJUSC6g

(No)

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:15 am 

Hi, Yes I got the "Polar Ajax" info, and a scan of a 4oz stick of the stuff, which to me looks 1930/40 ish, and can be used to make up a wrapper, but the "N.S. Polar Gelignite" remains a mystery, maybe the N.S. bit is the company and the stuff contains polarised ingredients, or the N.S. bit stands for something else, like Nitro Starch, another scientists plaything of the time, the description in the "calenders" is a bit vague, unless it did simply read N.S. Polar Gelignite, with nothing else on wrapper, I don't think the wrapper would have had a lot of printing on it, the Du Pont gelignite one is quite plain, but it does have a company trade mark, and a few other bits of print. It would be worth finding the info to make up wrappers for inert sticks, because in the early days of the Aux Units, due to shortages of "plastique", it was one of the main weapons they had to fight the invaders with. Kev

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:51 am 
3000+ Poster

Sodium Nitrate or nitrate starch.

there was a lot of types of mining explosives back then .. nowadays there isn't

If you have the last word and no one heard it - Did it happen? https://youtu.be/mQZmCJUSC6g

(No)