WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:47 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 21:57 pm 

Hi folks,
I have a PIAT that came from a fellow who had had it badly stored. The inside is full of cosmolene but the outside had surface rust. Not bad, but enought that a good scrub wont do... I will need to do some serious sanding, then repaint it.
I have the repro of the infantry trainign manual ( No 24) and have gotten the spring and cockign rod out.

Now I can't figure out how to separate the mainspring from the cocking rod. I have most all the cosmoline cleaned offbut I don't see any pins holding the sleeve bolt on.

It looks like the cocking rod & tube guide is attached tot he shoulder piece and welded, so it doesn't look that that is supposed to be messed with (g)

I have found that unscrewing the Striker fromt he spigot, the striker is still attached to a thiner threaded rod.

That's about as far as I have gotten.

Do I need to compress the spring so I can grab the skinny threaded rod (Cocking rod?) and hold that while I unscrew the Striker? It looks like that is all that is trapping the spigot/sleeve bolt to the cocking rod, but it looks like to grab on to the threads with any kind of pliers to hold it while I unscre the stiker would buggar the threads.

If you compress the mainspring, should the striker only be finger tight on the end of the cocking rod?

Is there a particular spot ont he Cocking rod that has two flats to put a spanner on it to have some resistance when putting a wrench on the striker?

Is there any more detailed armourer's manuals available that I can buy?

Hey Dave Gordon!
My number is 215-721-8967 EST. If you have some answers on this, could I give you a call one evening? I need your number... it has been years since we talked last.

Cheers,
Jim Burrill
15 Recce
Philadelphia PA area

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 20:59 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Hey Jim,

Just surfing and found your message. I'll ring you up early evening today but if we miss, my number is 512.301.1702 here in Austin.

David