WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 16:09 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Piat rounds chest info??
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 17:40 pm 

Over here, we are having some good luck making Nerf foam PIAT rounds we can ***SAFELY*** launch from modified PIATs.

(By the way, the device was demonstrated at a vehicle driver's safety meeting a few months ago and all agreed to let these be shot at them prior to the field event.)

One of the lads is making repros of the three-tube cardboard carriers for the rounds, using an original as the model.

My question is the transit chests these tube carriers came in. I know there were metal ones but I have not been able to get my hands on one. Did they also come in wood chests like the 3" mortar rounds came in?

I have one of those with one "rack" of tubes. I would like to try to make up some repros based on that for the PIAT, if such a thing existed.

Anyone having information and willing to share would be greatly appreciated!

In case you're wondering, the round is foam and cardboard, launched by a PIAT with a slightly cut down spring, and a .12 ga blank shell. A baffler plate stops the rod from coming out, just the nib to trigger the blank.
Nothing metal goes downrage at the target.

All vehicle crew wear goggles while in the field, and gunners don't aim at the crew. Accidental people hits are less tramautic than getting hit by a tennis ball on the court.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 17:59 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Stars and Stripes LHG
Funny that, i happen to have a Piat bomb metal box the bombs come in. I will have to dig it out. It was found as a storage box on a farm years ago. In good condition but some t*** painted it, so when i decided to sand blast it and repaint it i found all the original paint markings underneath. I took a photo of it to repaint it and copy the original markings back on the box using the photo. I can remember seeing the same box in a pre- airborne market garden photo loading the boxes onto the gliders, at the photo section of the IWM. I can't find the photo i took of the box, i know it's some where. but i do remember that there was a turquoise coloured band around the box and the yellow writing denoting the piat's contents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 18:47 pm 

Can anyone say what "H" number the steel PIAT ammo chests were? I hope I am asking the right question... I remember the "H45" was the steel chest for the two plywood .303 amo boxes. I think there is an "H" number for the 2" mortar rounds as well.

Am I correct that this numbering system carried through for a wide range of steel boxes?

Is there any list of what H numbers were used for what kinds of boxes? Can anyone post the list or a URL to find it?

Cheers,
Jim Burrill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 19:45 pm 
1000+ Poster

Steel ammo boxes of two inch and piat begin with B. I will look it up for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:50 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: Thunder From Heaven Retired list

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:53 am 
4000+ Poster

visualcollector.com/.../MortarsMines.htm

Pix of 4 round types....

Last edited by LAH 650 on Wed May 23, 2007 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:55 am 
4000+ Poster

:roll:

Twice

:oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 13:54 pm 
1000+ Poster

A metal 2" mortar round box that holds 18 bombs is marked up as B167. The metal Piat bomb box i have is marked B166 and has 1942 HFA embossed on it as well, HFA i assume is the makers initial. This box hold six bombs in an upright position taller than the box shown. Try and get some pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 14:01 pm 

Thanks all for taking the time to help with this! I do appreciate it.
Nothing yet on a wood chest it seems, but I can still hope... I am unlikely to find PIAT steel chests here in the USA like we do for .303 ammo. My best hope is to make repro wooden ones.

I have a shipping container coming to the States in the Fall with my Humber Mk4 A/C and it will have room for ammo boxes, if I can source any.
Thanks again!
Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 16:39 pm 
 WWW  Profile

The large metal PIAT bomb carrier linked earlier in the thread is the early pattern. That particular example was made in 1942 and is coded "C224" and it was found in the USA. The later pattern was a dual purpose metal box "B166 II" which could work with two PIAT bomb or two 3-Inch Mortar bomb carriers since the carriers are virtually the same size. In the case of the mortar version, the tubes are slightly less in diameter and won't have the fitting in the end caps for the PIAT tail tube. Like the standardized wooden ammuntion carriers with a metal tin inside, spacers with black foam padding were added to take up any extra space so the contents wouldn't rattle around.

The metal box for three 2-inch bomb carriers is "B167" as also mentioned earlier in the thread.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 22:31 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Summer of 44 LHG, 1st Airlanding Light Regt RA
I have the wooden box for piat ammo... takes a pair of the sets of 3 cardboard tubes.

I will see if i can sort out some photos - not sure when this will be though as the lot is buried somewhere in the garage.

Give me a nudge in a couple of weeks if you dont hear anything - my memory fades from time to time and often I completely forget things.

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 23:16 pm 

Hi Tim,
This thread has been quiet for some time now. Your post is quite welcome! Any pics of a wooden chest I may be able to replicate would be worth waiting for!

Cheers,
Jim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 23:22 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Summer of 44 LHG, 1st Airlanding Light Regt RA
Jim

Sorry to say have just realised the box I'm thinking of is for the 3in Mortar !

Apologies for getting your hopes up... late night and tired...

Suddenly realised my error - but you beat me to a reply before I had a chance to delete the post !

Regards

Tim

Edit - However, given that the Metal B166 boxes were for either PIAT or 3in Mortar, I'd be happy to send you photos an dimensions of the wooden box I have as is likely the dimensions and construction would be the same or very similar, assuming a wooden box was constructed.

The alternative will be for you to import some B166 boxes - these are pretty common here and shouldnt be too much effort to ship to the USA.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 23:31 pm 
2000+ Poster

The cartridges came in a box coded H32, 450 per box

CSM "Are those your best boots corporal?"
Cpl "No sir, I have no favorites"

You want it when? :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 23:38 pm 

Hi Tim, As it happens, I have a single, wooden 3" Mortar box with one set of tubes. That was to be my guide to making the Piat box replicas if I could get a sample.

I haven;t shipped my Humber yet... I could still go for the steel chests in the UK. Anyone have any, say 3-4 or more?

Cheers,
Jim