WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:51 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: MkV stock colour?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 14:33 pm 

I have recently bought a deactivated Mk V Sten. It was cheap and in a bit of a state. All the original paint had been stripped off and it was covered in surface rust (pitted in places) the stock was seized on and the woodwork in a bad way generally...it had marker pen writing on the stock!

I picked this sten out of a batch of 50. It was about the worst one but did have MkV stamps as opposed to Mk5 on the others in the pile. I wanted one that I could restore to look like it was just issued in 1944, so I don't feel bad about attacking this one as it was so bad anyway.

After cleaning off the majority of the rust all the metal parts are now soaking in a bath of white vinegar, which is a great way to cure rust and will also get to the internal rusty bits in the receiver. I have stripped and cleaned the stock, steamed out as many dents as possible and using a hair dryer managed to 'weep' out 95% of the oil staining.
The stock in its natural state which is now very very blonde!! It is quite a wide grained wood which has a similar appearance and colour to vintage pine.

So what do I do next??
Most MkV's that one see, have 70 year old woodwork and have that reddish, mahogany colour which is the colour boiled linseed oil goes after 40 years. Do I just apply BLO onto the blonde, light wood? OR do I stain it to look a little redder? If stain, what colour stain?
Can any Sten expert help and tell me, would MkV stocks have looked very light when first issued or is my stock just an odd one? Is it wrong to have light coloured woodwork?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Regards Chris.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: MkV stock colour?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:33 am 

Sounds like the wood is now dry and bleached. If you look at the NOS No.4 stocks you'll get an idea of the colour. I can't see a problem with using any reddish tint dye but I have found the dye doesn't really take after you've put BLO on it. The way I've cleaned them in the past is to use over cleaner, hot water and a tooth brush and then placed it in a pirex dish full of BLO over the gas ring. It stinks but the thin BLO gets in the grain and lifts any remaining dirt and dents out. It's just very messy. I can also feal the stock is heavier afterwards. Best to leave it hanging after and wipe of the residue before it solidifies.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:06 am 

Thanks so much for the reply. I will have to dig out a camping stove, a pyrex dish and wander off to the bottom of the garden.
Regards Chris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 18:12 pm 

I just use the cooker, the wife has a twine and then leaves me to it. When it's taken as much as possible wipe off as much as you can and let it air dry. When it's dry you can buff it up to a sheen but not a shine. As the wood cools it will contract and seal in some of the oil. On a really hot day my Brens will leach some of the BLO out but it soon wipes off.