WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:36 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Machine gun gas powered
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 18:40 pm 

Group: 212 squadron
Hi Guys
Just wondering if anyone has experience in making a gas powered machine gun and what advice and pit falls they had.

I am making a replica lewis gun and want to incorporate a gas system to simulate the firing.

What I was thinking was to use a oxygen, butane or propane mix but I am unsure what mix would give the best results.
There is also the problem of how to regulate the gas mix. Should I use a pressure regulator or would a flow restriction regulator be OK or should I have a combination of both.

If anyone can advise on the best size and design of the combustion chamber that would be good. I would prefer to go on the smaller size but don't want to compromise the sound quality

I intend to use a 6v or 12 v DC current supply (please advise if 6v would be enough) that alternates between the solenoid valves and the igniter so that the gas injection and ignition will not happen at the same time. This should make it safer.

The ignition would either be using a peso igniter unit from a standard gas lighter or from a spark across a gap. I think the peso unit would work better but please advise if you have experience with this.

Any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated.
rgs
Bryan

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:14 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Stars and Stripes LHG
First you use oxygen and propane, you need a circuit board and two solenoid valves one for oxygen the other for propane. You need to build a mixing/firing chamber, a spark plug, barrel, coil, best to use a 12 volt system. two regulators for your bottles. Your best bet would be to contact Steve Smith in the states, he sells many kits over here and his instructions are easy to follow, he also has a great back up service if you need to query him for advice. I trust that you are good on a lathe or have access to machinery to make and fit the parts in a Lewis sized gun. PM me and i will pass on his details.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 14:34 pm 

Group: 212 squadron
Hi
Thanks for the reply. If you can pass on Steve's details that would be great. I will cirtainly contact him to see if he can help.
I do have access to all the machinery and have already started to build some minor parts on the gun but I need to know the sizes of the internal workings before I build the main parts.
Thanks again
Bryan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 18:38 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Stars and Stripes LHG
PMed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 22:05 pm 

Hi,

I think this is his website:
http://www.ww2steel.com/Gasguns/Gasguns.html

Doug