WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:12 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Bren Transit Chest
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 15:15 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: The Stonewallers
I am in the process of paint stripping my Bren box as it was covered in a horrible orange paint, can anyone tell me what colour the box should be repainted in, what markings it had and what the chest carried apart from the Bren.
Thanks
Mark

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 20:05 pm 
2000+ Poster

Hi there;
just wondering which Mark bren yr box is for. Any idea..? I can email you some info if needed.
Regards
Matt Gibbs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 16:35 pm 

My BREN box is a glossy dark green, and has markings stencilled in white at the front, below the 'bumper' that goes all the way round.

Unfortunately, it was actually delivered to my house in that box, and so the stencils were painted over in grey paint so it didn't advertise it's contents, but it's came off a bit and I can see the word 'BREN' at least, so the box is kosher.

I'll have a go at getting the gray crap off and clean the box up and try and get you a snap of it soon...

EDIT: It shouldn't be long before I get a pic, but until then this is roughly the colour of th paint on my box...

ANOTHER EDIT: So I just cave it a bit of a going over with some light paint remover to get the gray stuff off, and the white stencilling reads:

CHEST BREN .303in MG Mk 1/1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 17:18 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: The Stonewallers
finaly got rid of the layers of crap paint and i have found out it is a chest for a MK1 bren and it was marked both sides and ends but still not sure of which shade of green to paint it with. Any idea of what it carried inside, apart from bren and mag.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 17:26 pm 

Inside there should be sections divided by wooden slot in pieces. The Bren should rest on some of these dividers. There is a felt lining along the inside edge of the chest and on the tops of the wooden dividers where the bren rests in a "U" shape cut out. There is also felt lining on the inside ends of the chest. There are various other wooden pieces included.

There is also a hole in one of the wooden sections which a spare barrel may rest in.

Hope this helps

victory in spite of all terror,

victory, however long and hard the road may be;

for without victory there is no survival."

- Winston Churchill, 1940.

Post subject: Re: Bren Transit Chest
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 21:33 pm 

resurrecting this one. has anyone a good colour code for painting a Bren box?

cheers

www.frontlinehistory.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:42 am 
4000+ Poster

From what i can remember(my transit chest is in the shed under a ton of crap)my bren chest also had all the wording obscured with grey paint.The chest itself was a glossy bronze green type colour.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:47 am 

cheers Lipton,

thats the beast! oddly the grey crap is around the base of mine and on one face only and is 100% undamaged wheras the old green is pretty rough. whatever sort of primer it is, it does the job.

resorting to childhood as usual, i have the humbrol colour as green Matt M102 , how do i equate this with Dulux, International paints or A.N.Other manufacturer? :D

secondly, how do you explain to the wife that restoring 'just an old box' is a worthwhile project?, much better than, say the woodwork in the Hall? :P

www.frontlinehistory.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 16:10 pm 

Apologies for resurrecting this one, but does anyone have a list of the contents that fit into the transit case - the position for the gun, spare barrel (underneath and on the hinge side of the box) and one spare magazine (front right hand side) are obvious, but what about the other sections?

Any photographs or equipment lists (so I can attempt to work out what fits where) would be greatly appreciated!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 16:59 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: EAFVG, EMLRA & other
We've got one in the garage sparky if you want to have a look

Freedom of expression is essential in enabling democracy to work and public participation in decision-making. Citizens cannot exercise their right to vote effectively or take part in public decision-making if they do not have free access to information and ideas and are not able to express their views freely. Freedom of expression is thus not only important for individual dignity but also to participation, accountability and democracy. Violations of freedom of expression often go hand in hand with other violations, in particular the right to freedom of association and assembly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 17:08 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: HBSA, Lovat Society, UKPSA
I make the leather hinges & handles for these too - though they are mainly sourced by the folk using the No.4(T) chests: a restored one of which sells for several hundred £'s

May be able to scan the pages from the Bren manuals for you if that'll help?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 23:37 pm 

These are some photos of the box labels posted on another forum by my friend Kev G. The first are instructions and the second is the CES.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:56 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: HBSA, Lovat Society, UKPSA
2nd box label appears to be Australian...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 18:21 pm 

Thanks Gents!

Saddler - if you could post an image and list from the manual that would be great

M3bobby - thanks, I have all of the items for section C, do you know what the weight in section B refers to?

Rob8066 - is your transit case all fitted out?

If I manage to answer the questions and kit mine out, I'll be sure to post the photo's for you all to decide if it looks right!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 17:04 pm 
1000+ Poster

would u like me to take photos of my bren carrying box just dug it out during week

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 15:29 pm 

Is there someone with the blueprints / measurements of the MK1 Bren transit chest?