WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:43 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Australian Bren Bipods
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 23:05 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A humble militaria collector at your service
Hi,

I'm currently tempted to look for a Lithgow MkIm Bren at Stoneleigh next month as it would fill a logical gap in my current collection of an Enfield MkI and an Inglis MkII. I prefer 'factory spec' guns, but I'm currently confused as to what type of bipod a post-1943 Lithgow Bren (the 'upgraded' model with a Canadian type Mk2 barrel) would have been originally fitted with.

Would it have had a Canadian type Mk3 bipod or a British type Mk2 bipod? I was under the impression it was the latter, but I haven't been able to pin down a firm answer and there seems to be a lot of deact Lithgow Brens out there with Mk3 bipods. :?

Grateful for any clarification. My copy of 'The Bren Gun Saga' isn't very illuminating.

Cheers,
Mark

Give the brightest light.
Safe in your place deep in the earth
That's when they'll know what you were really worth.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:23 am 
1000+ Poster

peregrinvs wrote:
Hi,

I'm currently tempted to look for a Lithgow MkIm Bren at Stoneleigh next month as it would fill a logical gap in my current collection of an Enfield MkI and an Inglis MkII. I prefer 'factory spec' guns, but I'm currently confused as to what type of bipod a post-1943 Lithgow Bren (the 'upgraded' model with a Canadian type Mk2 barrel) would have been originally fitted with.

Would it have had a Canadian type Mk3 bipod or a British type Mk2 bipod? I was under the impression it was the latter, but I haven't been able to pin down a firm answer and there seems to be a lot of deact Lithgow Brens out there with Mk3 bipods. :?

Grateful for any clarification. My copy of 'The Bren Gun Saga' isn't very illuminating.

Cheers,
Mark

I would tend to agree the latter; there are a lot of 'bitzer' Brens around as the lack of sufficient (correct or indeed any) bipods has led to a lot of oddball configurations around now..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 20:27 pm 

Group: Independant. Commando
peregrinvs wrote:
Hi,

Cheers,
Mark

Hey!! why don't you buy mine??

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:43 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: A humble militaria collector at your service
Dodgydave wrote:
Hey!! why don't you buy mine??

Hi,

I've PM'd you.

It appears I've been getting confused between the Canadian Mk2 bipod (designated the Mk3 in the UK) and the Australian Mk2 bipod that looks like a Canadian Mk2, but has different bipod legs and feet.

Kev Groom (Black-Belt Brenmeister and general good egg) has since clarified things for me. I'll need to confirm the finer details of the bipod on your one.

Cheers,
Mark

Give the brightest light.
Safe in your place deep in the earth
That's when they'll know what you were really worth.