WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:58 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Replica Bren barrels
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:40 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: 53rd Welsh
VCR *ACT!* would not apply to the barrel as its only a part of a RIF.

You can buy all the parts to make a RIF but not manufacture it as such unless you have the relevant defence to do so (does that make sense?)

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:38 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A humble militaria collector at your service
Swiper wrote:
VCR *ACT!*

'Act' indeed - as I did politics at uni, that's quite an embarassing error. :lol:

It would be as an accessory for my deact Bren rather than to make a repro Bren. Sounds like it's OK then.

Cheers,

Mark

Give the brightest light.
Safe in your place deep in the earth
That's when they'll know what you were really worth.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 13:41 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: Unable to commit
Swiper wrote:
VCR *ACT!* would not apply to the barrel as its only a part of a RIF.

You can buy all the parts to make a RIF but not manufacture it as such unless you have the relevant defence to do so (does that make sense?)

Erm - can I say - Gas Plug...

Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 19:16 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A humble militaria collector at your service
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I came across some interesting intel about spare Bren barrels in the UK on the Milsurps forum:

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=17258&page=3

Formally deactivated barrels are a no-no. But it appears if they're sufficiently chopped about, then the Proof House will pass them as 'scrap'.

Mark

Give the brightest light.
Safe in your place deep in the earth
That's when they'll know what you were really worth.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 13:11 pm 

Group: Tommy Atkins
Hi Guys

My resin replica is nearly complete (just tweaking the mould box). I will be posting up some miscast barrels in the for sale section soon.

Regards

Karl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 19:27 pm 

Hi just to resurrect an old thread, can anyone shed any light on the current situation on spare barrels?
I'm looking for a MK2 for my display if anyone has any info.
What happened about the resin one's, any good?
Would I be able to machine a SOLID one for display out of aluminium?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 20:16 pm 

WWA sold probably about 100 or so deact Bren barrels a few years back, I think they were about £90 for Mk1 and £70 for Mk2. These occasionally come up for sale, there was a Mk1 last year which was £200 and it sold.

WWA had to stop after complaints from the London PH to Birmingham PH due to a misunderstanding between them. It was out of WWA control and the decision had nothing to do with them, they had the go ahead from Birmingham so had done nothing wrong. When the LPH and BPH actually come to an agreement, I'm sure we will see deac barrels for sale again. I personally would like a spare 1919A4 barrel for my cover.

As a side note, Barrels can no longer be imported to the USA so all the spare barrels that come with guns i.e. The Bren with 2 barrels, have no retail value. Previously, the second barrels could be sold on to the US.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 23:53 pm 

I think Solomon Adler/Battledress and Bayonet had a stack of resin and metal based repro bren barrels for sale at Stoneleigh and War & Peace a few years ago (if memory serves original handles, sights and flash hiders (!) on repro barrels C£80). Might be worth contacting to enquire:

http://www.battledressandbayonet.com/

The open Deac window of a few years ago seems firmly shut per the rumour-mill. Of course you could always buy yerself a very early deac bren with removable barrel!!!!!! Search bren on Battleflag Militaria and drool:
http://www.battleflagmilitaria.co.uk/shop.php

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:49 am 

LeeWeb wrote:
I think Solomon Adler/Battledress and Bayonet had a stack of resin and metal based repro bren barrels for sale at Stoneleigh and War & Peace a few years ago (if memory serves original handles, sights and flash hiders (!) on repro barrels C£80). Might be worth contacting to enquire:

http://www.battledressandbayonet.com/

The open Deac window of a few years ago seems firmly shut per the rumour-mill. Of course you could always buy yerself a very early deac bren with removable barrel!!!!!! Search bren on Battleflag Militaria and drool:
http://www.battleflagmilitaria.co.uk/shop.php

Nice strippable bren, and at £1100.00 still affordable, but not just for the barrel tho!!
My local pawn shop has a standard MK2 for sale at £1200.00!!!!!
Second it came from Normandy, mine probably did too with about 2000 others!!! Got to smile haven't you?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 23:49 pm 

Bump on this please. Any barrels being made to a good standard out there??

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 18:03 pm 

[quote=e"hoseman"]Bump on this please. Any barrels being made to a good standard out there??[/quote]
Answer to my own question, got one now AND it's a short para one!!! Looking lovely all wrapped up in its spares bag with the rest of his toys!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 18:17 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
hoseman wrote:
[quote=e"hoseman"]Bump on this please. Any barrels being made to a good standard out there??

Answer to my own question, got one now AND it's a short para one!!! Looking lovely all wrapped up in its spares bag with the rest of his toys!![/quote]

Do you mean a MkIII barrel? (Unless there was another type of short barrel, tho I've always heard it in reference to the MkIII which I was told was designed for airborne use, tho not a MkIII expert).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 18:25 pm 

Yin717 wrote:
hoseman wrote:
[quote=e"hoseman"]Bump on this please. Any barrels being made to a good standard out there??

Answer to my own question, got one now AND it's a short para one!!! Looking lovely all wrapped up in its spares bag with the rest of his toys!!

Do you mean a MkIII barrel? (Unless there was another type of short barrel, tho I've always heard it in reference to the MkIII which I was told was designed for airborne use, tho not a MkIII expert).[/quote]
Yes mate, it's a MK 111, good to show off tho in my displays and compare the differences. Even found a MK 1 stripping tool to finish kit off and bought a resin breech for show!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 18:31 pm 
1000+ Poster

I guess it is interesting to show how the Bren developed though be careful Whilst the first MkIIIs were produced in 44 (I think, certainly not earlier), they didn't see use then. A friend of mine was looking into buying a MkIII (should of considering it came with transit chest and was cheap) but was put off because he couldn't find evidence of its use during the war. I suspect people on here might tell you it was used at some point (I suspect late 45). But I don't think there's evidence it was used by the airborne during Normandy or Arnhem, I've not seen it myself. Possibly Varsity but even then I doubt it.

Just something to bear in mind if you tell people its an airborne barrel and a re-enactor or a MOP gives you stick for it. ;) But in terms of showing the evolution of the Bren it is interesting. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 18:48 pm 

Yin717 wrote:
I guess it is interesting to show how the Bren developed though be careful Whilst the first MkIIIs were produced in 44 (I think, certainly not earlier), they didn't see use then. A friend of mine was looking into buying a MkIII (should of considering it came with transit chest and was cheap) but was put off because he couldn't find evidence of its use during the war. I suspect people on here might tell you it was used at some point (I suspect late 45). But I don't think there's evidence it was used by the airborne during Normandy or Arnhem, I've not seen it myself. Possibly Varsity but even then I doubt it.

Just something to bear in mind if you tell people its an airborne barrel and a re-enactor or a MOP gives you stick for it. ;) But in terms of showing the evolution of the Bren it is interesting. :)

I don't say it's airbourne, they were also jungle used too I think. I'm no expert on brens either just a slightly knowledgeable novice!! My mate came round today while I was sorting out kit, he spotted my no4 under a wrap and asked to see it. He said he had a pic of his dad during the war with 'his' Bren. I then had to unwrap mine without a word and passed it to him.....had a propper man smile on his face!!! :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 18:56 pm 
1000+ Poster

I've heard of the possible jungle use. I only brought up the airborne point because you said you got the short para one. ;)

And yes there is nothing quite as enjoyable as allowing a friend to hold the weapons. haha. Their faces are priceless.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next