WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri Jan 24, 2020 0:20 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Question on the Bren
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 15:52 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: 20th Century Revisited
After looking over Shauns bren at the weekend at East Fortune we've noticed a little loop on the bipod sleeve just above the bipod swivel, no ones got any idea what its for. Someone mentioned it being an attachment for a bren bayonet as they'd heard that from a vet. But... this cannon be as the Gas shield on the body prevents anything being attached. Have heard of the Japs with bayo's on theirs... but not a Brit ane.

Also... Bi-pods.... is the Mk.1 pod have a spring catch on each leg? As this one just has solid legs.

The Butt has the attachments for a butt handle however my manual shows no images with the handle attached so is it actually needed?

will probs have more questions as I tinker away with it.

"If you know of a better 'ole, go to it"

A Gordon for me, a Gordon for me,
If ye're no a Gordon ye're no use to me.
The Black Watch are braw, the Seaforths and a'
But the cocky wee Gordon's the pride o' them a'.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Question on the Bren
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 19:02 pm 

Stuart.Noble wrote:
After looking over Shauns bren at the weekend at East Fortune we've noticed a little loop on the bipod sleeve just above the bipod swivel, no ones got any idea what its for. Someone mentioned it being an attachment for a bren bayonet as they'd heard that from a vet. But... this cannon be as the Gas shield on the body prevents anything being attached. Have heard of the Japs with bayo's on theirs... but not a Brit ane.

Also... Bi-pods.... is the Mk.1 pod have a spring catch on each leg? As this one just has solid legs.

The Butt has the attachments for a butt handle however my manual shows no images with the handle attached so is it actually needed?

will probs have more questions as I tinker away with it.

The second loop is a stop, to prevent the gun rotating to far to the left. (The L4 did away with this) The gun wouldnt rotate to far to the right due to the way the bipod sleeve fits to the gas cylinder. I think it had a hole in it simply as another fixing point for the sling. the mark 2 bipod had a spur instead.

It sounds like it has the Inglis (Canadian) mk3 type bipod, which is a mk1 bipod with fixed legs.

The butt handle fixings are there also for the Tripod T & E mount. The handle was dispenced with in 1940-41 as it was a luxury and of no functional use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 19:54 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: 20th Century Revisited
Knew youd have the info mate... cheers.

"If you know of a better 'ole, go to it"

A Gordon for me, a Gordon for me,
If ye're no a Gordon ye're no use to me.
The Black Watch are braw, the Seaforths and a'
But the cocky wee Gordon's the pride o' them a'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 0:08 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: The 20th Century Revisited
I got the impression that most Mk I bipods were changed to the later ones. Certainly, it would appear that the fixed leg type are more common on deacs doing the rounds.

Re-enacting is for fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:57 am 
Forum Legend

Group: Unable to commit
Tartan_Smudger wrote:
I got the impression that most Mk I bipods were changed to the later ones. Certainly, it would appear that the fixed leg type are more common on deacs doing the rounds.
A case of chopping & changing whenever Guns were refurbished Tony?

Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 19:49 pm 

Yep, alot of spares came from John Inglis during the war. Also, I would think about 80% of deac Brens in the UK are made from spares. Only the Lithgow FTR'd guns appear to have matching numbers. The UK Brens mainly come from one dealer down Devon way, who sells onto the trade (Dosn't do retail). The dealers basicly by a load of spares of everything and then make up guns.