WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003
 

It is currently Fri Jan 24, 2020 0:16 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
Offline
 Post subject: Bren accessories
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:06 am 
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:52 am
Posts: 24
Hello group,
I am looking to buy the following items for my Bren:

Bren tripod
Adaptor for the Drum mag
antiaircraft butt grip

Thank you.


Top
 

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 15:18 pm 
3000+ Poster
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2005 21:44 pm
Posts: 3121
Location: The North West Frontier
If you dont mind paying top price, then try the gunner at sentimental journey. or wait till stoneleigh for better prices.

Gliderinf


Top
 

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 15:31 pm 
Forum Legend
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 13:36 pm
Posts: 25060
Location: Hartlepool, awaiting a Zulu charge, cuppa in hand
Real Name: Ian Hannant
Group: Unable to commit
I assume that you are wanting the early Tripod that converts to an AA mount?

_________________
Lo, There Do I See My Father
Lo, There Do I See My Mother, My Sisters And My Brothers
Lo, There Do I See My People, Back To The Beginning
Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam


Top
 

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 18:46 pm 
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:52 am
Posts: 24
Oggy wrote:
I assume that you are wanting the early Tripod that converts to an AA mount?


I do not have any problem about it, just a Bren tripod.


Top
 

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:26 am 
Forum Legend
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 13:36 pm
Posts: 25060
Location: Hartlepool, awaiting a Zulu charge, cuppa in hand
Real Name: Ian Hannant
Group: Unable to commit
gerolykos wrote:
Oggy wrote:
I assume that you are wanting the early Tripod that converts to an AA mount?


I do not have any problem about it, just a Bren tripod.

There were 2 types, the early one (the most numerous) that converts to an AA mount (by your choice of kit required, I'm assuming that's what you need), and the later one, which did not have that facility. If you give me a bit of time, I'll try to find a supplier.

_________________
Lo, There Do I See My Father
Lo, There Do I See My Mother, My Sisters And My Brothers
Lo, There Do I See My People, Back To The Beginning
Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam


Top
 

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:29 am 
1000+ Poster
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 19:29 pm
Posts: 1160
Location: Northants, England
Real Name: Paul Bellamy
Group: Summer of '44
Oggy,

There were a few types, I'll have to dig the relevant references out to ID them properly....

Mk1: the original one with the AA legs.

Mk2(?): Similar, but without the AA capacity.

Mk1/2(?): Folding version of the Mk1. ( i.e. the traverse bow hinges and folds in.

Mk2/2(?): As above, but shorter legs

All of the above other than the MkI are liable to have the Mk numbers changed when I get the proper info....
I don't have it to hand, but I do remember things like no AA leg, and shortened main legs, etc..

_________________
Paul Bellamy
Summer of 44

http://www.geocities.com/ramc181
http://www.summerof44.org.uk
http://www.geocities.com/paulbellamy194 ... _Page.html


Last edited by RAMC181 on Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:44 am 
Forum Legend
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 13:36 pm
Posts: 25060
Location: Hartlepool, awaiting a Zulu charge, cuppa in hand
Real Name: Ian Hannant
Group: Unable to commit
I bow to your knowledge Paul. That earlier generalisation was to establish what was required. The 2/1 & 2/2 are just modifications to the mk 2 tripod I take it? A duffer like me probably could not tell the difference...

_________________
Lo, There Do I See My Father
Lo, There Do I See My Mother, My Sisters And My Brothers
Lo, There Do I See My People, Back To The Beginning
Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam


Top
 

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:00 am 
1000+ Poster
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 19:29 pm
Posts: 1160
Location: Northants, England
Real Name: Paul Bellamy
Group: Summer of '44
Thinking a little more, I seem to recall the Mk2 tripod was not just a non-AA jobbie, but also a short legged one....

I know all the various models are in the Boys Book of Brens.....
sorry, "The Bren Gun Saga",
along with a whole load of other tarty Brenness...... bakelite furniture, double-ended barrels, muzzle brakes, belt-feeds, No32 Scopes (originally designed for the Bren), disposable factory filled magazines., etc.
oooooooh, suit you sir.....

Sorry.... 1st and 2nd editions of the book are available, 2nd editions new in the £40-£50 area IIRC.

_________________
Paul Bellamy
Summer of 44

http://www.geocities.com/ramc181
http://www.summerof44.org.uk
http://www.geocities.com/paulbellamy194 ... _Page.html


Top
 

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:16 am 
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:52 am
Posts: 24
Oggy wrote:
gerolykos wrote:
Oggy wrote:
I assume that you are wanting the early Tripod that converts to an AA mount?


I do not have any problem about it, just a Bren tripod.

There were 2 types, the early one (the most numerous) that converts to an AA mount (by your choice of kit required, I'm assuming that's what you need), and the later one, which did not have that facility. If you give me a bit of time, I'll try to find a supplier.


Dear Oggy, I really appreciate your interest. Thank you in advance.


Top
 

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:53 pm 
Forum Legend
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 13:36 pm
Posts: 25060
Location: Hartlepool, awaiting a Zulu charge, cuppa in hand
Real Name: Ian Hannant
Group: Unable to commit
RAMC181 wrote:
Thinking a little more, I seem to recall the Mk2 tripod was not just a non-AA jobbie, but also a short legged one....

I know all the various models are in the Boys Book of Brens.....
sorry, "The Bren Gun Saga",
along with a whole load of other tarty Brenness...... bakelite furniture, double-ended barrels, muzzle brakes, belt-feeds, No32 Scopes (originally designed for the Bren), disposable factory filled magazines., etc.
oooooooh, suit you sir.....

Sorry.... 1st and 2nd editions of the book are available, 2nd editions new in the £40-£50 area IIRC.

I seem to remember that there was a double ended barrel, to cut down on the spares. Wasn't the Belt feed designed as an answer to a post war specification?

_________________
Lo, There Do I See My Father
Lo, There Do I See My Mother, My Sisters And My Brothers
Lo, There Do I See My People, Back To The Beginning
Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam


Top
 

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 17:14 pm 
 Profile

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 21:39 pm
Posts: 720
Location: LINCOLNSHIRE
There was a bouble ended barrel designed and trialed but never produced, the belt fed Bren was a BSA trial to fulfill the requirement for a GPMG. It was a great sucess but the FN MAG won the race as it was an off the shelf design.

You can get a Reproduction AA handle by Mike Priest, very nice too, do you have a spoon for the butt plate? he also has those if you need one. Being an early Bren you would need the scaloped version not the straight version.


Top
 

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 17:31 pm 
Forum Legend
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 13:36 pm
Posts: 25060
Location: Hartlepool, awaiting a Zulu charge, cuppa in hand
Real Name: Ian Hannant
Group: Unable to commit
gerolykos wrote:
Oggy wrote:
gerolykos wrote:
Oggy wrote:
I assume that you are wanting the early Tripod that converts to an AA mount?


I do not have any problem about it, just a Bren tripod.

There were 2 types, the early one (the most numerous) that converts to an AA mount (by your choice of kit required, I'm assuming that's what you need), and the later one, which did not have that facility. If you give me a bit of time, I'll try to find a supplier.


Dear Oggy, I really appreciate your interest. Thank you in advance.

gerolykos, check out this website www.jpdeacts.com , he might have what you want plus a few more items.

_________________
Lo, There Do I See My Father
Lo, There Do I See My Mother, My Sisters And My Brothers
Lo, There Do I See My People, Back To The Beginning
Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam


Top
 

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 17:35 pm 
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:52 am
Posts: 24
Oggy wrote:
gerolykos wrote:
Oggy wrote:
gerolykos wrote:
Oggy wrote:
I assume that you are wanting the early Tripod that converts to an AA mount?


I do not have any problem about it, just a Bren tripod.

There were 2 types, the early one (the most numerous) that converts to an AA mount (by your choice of kit required, I'm assuming that's what you need), and the later one, which did not have that facility. If you give me a bit of time, I'll try to find a supplier.


Dear Oggy, I really appreciate your interest. Thank you in advance.

gerolykos, check out this website www.jpdeacts.com , he might have what you want plus a few more items.


Guys I do not know what to say, probably a big THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP will be ok. Keep on...collecting!!!


Top
 

Offline
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:41 am 
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:52 am
Posts: 24
RAMC181 wrote:
Thinking a little more, I seem to recall the Mk2 tripod was not just a non-AA jobbie, but also a short legged one....

I know all the various models are in the Boys Book of Brens.....
sorry, "The Bren Gun Saga",
along with a whole load of other tarty Brenness...... bakelite furniture, double-ended barrels, muzzle brakes, belt-feeds, No32 Scopes (originally designed for the Bren), disposable factory filled magazines., etc.
oooooooh, suit you sir.....

Sorry.... 1st and 2nd editions of the book are available, 2nd editions new in the £40-£50 area IIRC.


thank you all for your emails.


Top
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: