WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri Jan 24, 2020 0:22 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: deac bren
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 20:54 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: 95th nacht abt..attached 85th gebirgs
little story here of what we are up against.

had a "freind" come round my house the other week,
he had just been given a deac bren (old spec),
he was after info on how to go about getting a coppy deac certificate,because around six months ago the deac was confiscated by the police during a routine house search,the deac was returned minus the deac cert .
the police have since been unable to trace the cert,so the deac was given to my "freind".
after explaining that when he hands it over to the proof house for the cert to be isued it would be deacted to current regulations,he pulled a huge ugly face ,then said "huu im not going to do that ",
so i told him that it is going to have to be done to get a cert anyway.
anyway a few weeks has passed now (about six weeks)and now i have since found out he has been on variouse websites now throughout the world trying to purchase "componant parts" for the deac.
all i have to say is i hope he gets a visit ........just as i had allready warned him about .

trouble is he is the type of person who is absolutely obliviouse to the laws governing deacs and parts.

and thinks he can do as he likes because he is so "gung ho".
loves to drive about in an ex army landy and wear army trousers.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 21:11 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: 20th Century Revisited
Can you not just take the bren off him and give it to me? I'll look after it :D I promise...

Apart from that... EEJIT!

"If you know of a better 'ole, go to it"

A Gordon for me, a Gordon for me,
If ye're no a Gordon ye're no use to me.
The Black Watch are braw, the Seaforths and a'
But the cocky wee Gordon's the pride o' them a'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 22:44 pm 

If its an old spec, and its not been messed with, (or if it has, and he can correct the messing up), it will be proofed to pre '95 spec for around £30-£35. If you see him and he needs that in writing I have an email from the Birmingham proof house. As to buying parts, and worse section 5 parts over the net, he'll get cought!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 19:25 pm 

The De-Act. spec on a Bren gun has Not changed.

All that will happen when He re-submits it .The Nice men at eather London or Birmingham will smile sweetly take His money and re-appear with a duplicate ticket.

What will speed things up is taking it to the proof house that passed it first time.

London is Scimiter (curved sword) And I think Birmingham is cross sabre's.

Having said this what is a "routine house search" I've had firearms both modern and antique for some time and the only time I got a visit was a cabinet and security check about once a year.

Sorry I tell a lie, I had a visit when a nieghbour thought it would be mildly humourous to phone the police that I had a shotgun, took them 3 days and 2 phone calls too arrive as I didn't have a shotgun on My ticket. *cost Me a fortune in tea-bags brewing up for 7 officers whilst they went through 2 cabinets full of antiques. But they took nothing and I heard No more of it.

So it sounds like Your "mate" has been drawing the attention of the local bobbie's and is Now lookin for a bucket of trouble by attempting to buy component parts(section 7 Ones at that).
The said Bren would perhaps have a much better home with Stuart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 23:14 pm 

I agree. Young Stuart would indeed give it a loving home.

Doing Bird is a pain in the arse.....especially when you drop the soap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:37 pm 

Majik wrote:
The De-Act. spec on a Bren gun has Not changed.

All that will happen when He re-submits it .The Nice men at eather London or Birmingham will smile sweetly take His money and re-appear with a duplicate ticket.

What will speed things up is taking it to the proof house that passed it first time.

London is Scimiter (curved sword) And I think Birmingham is cross sabre's.

Having said this what is a "routine house search" I've had firearms both modern and antique for some time and the only time I got a visit was a cabinet and security check about once a year.

Sorry I tell a lie, I had a visit when a nieghbour thought it would be mildly humourous to phone the police that I had a shotgun, took them 3 days and 2 phone calls too arrive as I didn't have a shotgun on My ticket. *cost Me a fortune in tea-bags brewing up for 7 officers whilst they went through 2 cabinets full of antiques. But they took nothing and I heard No more of it.

So it sounds like Your "mate" has been drawing the attention of the local bobbie's and is Now lookin for a bucket of trouble by attempting to buy component parts(section 7 Ones at that).
The said Bren would perhaps have a much better home with Stuart

There are some differences between new and old spec Bren's, and even between proof houses. One of my London proofed guns went to the Birmingham proof house and they required the locking shoulder screw hole to wielded up, London do not. The differences between specs are minor and dont effect the dry firing of the gun, and most people wouldn't even notice.

The illegal components for a Bren would fall under section 5 of the Firearms act ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 13:43 pm 
 WWW  Profile

to be honest les this guy sounds a bit of a knob, leave well alone mate.

Having said that, for future ref what the guys above say about getting a duplicate cert is right. It is simple if you take it to the originating proof house.

www.39-45society.com