WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2020 23:08 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Sten Gun
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:05 am 
 WWW  Profile

A brief introduction to the Sten Sub-machine Gun

The Sten gun was a product of wartime expediency and production methods, born through the necessity of an island nation with limited resources.

At the beginning of World War II, Great Britain had bought many Thompson sub-machine guns from the USA, via the Lend-Lease agreement but the supply was severely threatened by U-Boat attacks on the ships conveying these supplies to Britain.

British authorities decided to produce a native design, to enable a constant supply. The Lanchester design, based on the German MP28, was chosen in 1940 but was still too production intensive to create the numbers of sub-machine guns needed.

In 1941, a new design was tried and eventually accepted. Its name, ‘STEN’, came from the initials of the designers - R. V. Shepard & H.J. Turpin and Enfield, the manufacturers.

It was still a well made gun in its Mk.1 form and the more basic Mk. 2 model simplified production further. The Mk. 2 model is the most well known model of Sten and was supplied to resistance groups, as well as Allied forces. Further simplification of production came in the form of the Mk. 3, as prototyped by Triang, the tin toy maker, around the end of 1942.

The Mk. 4 was an experimental, folding airborne model that never saw large scale production. Airborne forces were issued with the Mk. 5 in 1944. This has a wooden rifle type butt, wooden pistol grip and similar wooden fore grip. This is a higher quality gun and is more pleasing to the eye. Silenced Stens were produced in the form of the Mk. 2 S and Mk. 6 (a silenced Mk. 5) for clandestine purposes.

The operation of the Sten is simply the blowback principle, with a stick magazine. Selective fire capability is contained within the trigger mechanism.

The Sten was copied by other nations well after World War II had ended and just goes to prove that its simple but effective design could perform admirably in combat.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:03 am 

The manufacturer of the MK 3 was Lines Brothers Ltd. who made indeed tin toys and had expertise in stamping sheet steel.
Concerning the Sten you´ve got to distiguish between manufacturing and assembly. Parts were made in factories and garage shops all over the country and then collected and brought to the assembly factories, where the parts were welded together and the finished guns tested and zeroed prior to shipping.
Assembly plants for the MK2 and Mk 5 in Britain were ROF Enfield, BSA Tysely and ROF Fazakerley near Liverpool.

Jan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 15:16 pm 

very intresting reading , why dont you ask the blokes who used them ?
i belive they might say somthing like ,cheap , rusty and you cut your fingures on them ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 17:38 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Yes thats all well and good and interesting stuff, but I had to laff when I read who made the prototype.

SINGER, yes them that make sewing machines

I could picture the company owner saying at the first prototype, "Well its very nice, but where do you fit the bloody treadle???????"

"When I go from hence, let this be my parting word, that what I have seen is unsurpassable"

Rabindranath Tagore 1861 - 1941

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 18:16 pm 
3000+ Poster

Location: Trying to work out why the GPO has the guns pointing the wrong way
Group: Garrison
have seen one or two pics of the mark 4 why was it never adopted?

Pte Pat Cleary ANZACS

Heard on VHF gunner net in Borneo in 1960's
US Accent: Unknown call sign this is USAF over North Veitnam clear this frequencey we're fighting a war here
UK Accent: USAF funnily enough so are we.....but we're winning ours!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 19:16 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Briefly,it was more complicated than the the existing Sten,and the advantages of the new model did not out way the disadvantages of switching. It had a folding stock, and would have taken more production ,more metal ,more "war effort."More than likely this model is a case of Army experimenting,and trying things out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 23:38 pm 

populus02 wrote:
i belive they might say somthing like ,cheap , rusty and you cut your fingures on them ....

I'm a bloke that uses one. Cheap? Yes. Rusty? Possibly. Cut my fingers? Never.

They are cheap and nasty but they do work. I personally consider it a joy to hold. How so many pieces of cheap metal welded together can make an automatic weapon. I guess I'm alone here though...

Dan

Tony Blair announced today that he is changing the Labour Party's emblem to a condom because it more clearly reflects the government's political stance.

A condom stands up to inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation, protects pr*cks, and gives you a sense of security while you're actually being screwed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 23:44 pm 

Madness Garages wrote:
populus02 wrote:

They are cheap and nasty but they do work. I personally consider it a joy to hold. How so many pieces of cheap metal welded together can make an automatic weapon. I guess I'm alone here though...

Dan

Not really! I got fascinated by the Sten when I first saw one in a Danish Resistance Museum in Frederikshavn 25 years ago, together with a resistance made copy. A few years ago I had the opportunity to buy an old spec German deact MkII, strippable and clickable, just the barrel and breech block got mutilated to a point, where it can neither feed nor fire a round. I like the low tech approach. I think, being a qualified mechanic, I could make a bunch in less than a week, if I would set my mind to it and if I would invest in a second hand milling machine from Ebay (though I don´t fancy going to jail for it).

Jan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 0:10 am 

jkrusat wrote:
Madness Garages wrote:
populus02 wrote:

Dan

Not really! I got fascinated by the Sten when I first saw one in a Danish Resistance Museum in Frederikshavn 25 years ago, together with a resistance made copy. A few years ago I had the opportunity to buy an old spec German deact MkII, strippable and clickable, just the barrel and breech block got mutilated to a point, where it can neither feed nor fire a round. I like the low tech approach. I think, being a qualified mechanic, I could make a bunch in less than a week, if I would set my mind to it and if I would invest in a second hand milling machine from Ebay (though I don´t fancy going to jail for it).

Jan

I dunno. Spend, what 6 months in gaol then get out. Can't be tried for the same crime twice. Just make sure they only arrest you for making ONE. That's all.

Joke. They are gonna come knocking on my door now. Ha ha.

Seriously though, I'm a bloke and as such I love mechanical stuff. Anything mechanical. The Sten is just a logical piece of machinery. Something I love. I have always loved weapons for their mechanical composition and have always enjoyed finding out how they work but I have, for some reason, been especially captivated by the Sten.

I prefer to use my Mk3 Sten to a 1928A1 Tommy gun or a No.4. Or even Bren. But then I'm just odd. Ha ha.

Dan

Tony Blair announced today that he is changing the Labour Party's emblem to a condom because it more clearly reflects the government's political stance.

A condom stands up to inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation, protects pr*cks, and gives you a sense of security while you're actually being screwed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 0:30 am 
3000+ Poster

Location: Trying to work out why the GPO has the guns pointing the wrong way
Group: Garrison
the loyalist paramilitaries did in various light and heavy engineering factories in northern ireland during the troubles

Pte Pat Cleary ANZACS

Heard on VHF gunner net in Borneo in 1960's
US Accent: Unknown call sign this is USAF over North Veitnam clear this frequencey we're fighting a war here
UK Accent: USAF funnily enough so are we.....but we're winning ours!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:19 am 

There were serial production of Sten Mk2 set up in Norway, Denmark and Poland. In Denmark one group had the different parts made in sheetmetal stamping factories, often under the eyes of the Germans. Then these parts were transported by resistance couriers to 5 trusted people, who would assemble the guns and then test fire them (again under the noses of the German troops) in disused air raid shelters.
Muchthe same happened in Poland and Norway. The local authorities assume that there are a few hundred Stens still around in each country.

Jan