WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:18 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 14:40 pm 

A request from your Yank friend, I need a good pic of the attachment of the Enfield sling swivel to the vertical foregrip of a 1928 Thompson. I want to be sure that I attach mine in the correct position and all of the pics I have are too low resolution to make out the exact point of attachment. I would really appreciate someone who has an original war modified grip ;posting a picture of the sling attachment. Yours, John McP

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:08 am 
3000+ Poster

Any good?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:55 am 

Lovely and thank you but what I need a picture of the vertical hand grip used on the 1928. I understand that the swivel could mounted on either side of the grip, but not why. Thanks for the pictures, I may someday attempt to move the buttstock swivel to the top and it is good to know exactly where to cut the stock for the inletting of the swivel. I actually have a NOS Kerr sling to use.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:41 pm 

Group: F.I.R.E, AFRA
Anywhere it doesn't get in the way.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 15:45 pm 

"Anywhere it doesn't get in the way." This is very funny. The British army must be quite different from the US army. Here there would be little concern for the troop, but rather, does it look good to the commanding officer?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 0:12 am 

Group: Tay/5 & 1st American Sqdn., Home Guard
All the photos I've seen of Home Guards with M19128s (that show the swivel ), show it mounted on the right hand side of the forward pistol grip, right at the top of the grip.

Whether these are Enfield sling swivels or US I don't pretend to know.

Cheers,
Peter

Last edited by Cobblers on Sun May 15, 2011 17:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:25 am 

Thanks for the pictures, but they still are not enough to determine the exact position of the base. I really do need a picture of the vertical handgrip with the swivel installed.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 17:54 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Vickers MG Collection & Research Association
If you have a look at the Small Arms Training Manuals for the Thompson (No. 21, 1940, 1942 or 1944) they show various images of the position of the sling swivel (on either side and the horizontal grip). By the looks of it, they are all slightly different and there is no 'exact' position.

I have them to download at http://www.weapons.org.uk. If you want higher resolution images, then feel free to email me.

Richard

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 22:30 pm 

Thanks again for the additional material, but when the military decides to do something they issue very specific orders complete with diagrams and illustrations, including measurements and instructions. My military service leads me to believe that all armys operate about the same. I did simply think (mistake on my part?) that at least someone reading this forum had a deac Thompson with the vertical foregrip and the sling swivel installed. I still hold out hope that this exist somewhere. I have viewed all the images I could find on the internet and none really provide the certainty I need to begin cutting wood. Thanks again all. The stubborn Yank, John McP

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:41 am 

Group: F.I.R.E, AFRA
As I was trying to say, there does not seem to be a specific place for them. I wasn't joking when I said it would be anywhere that didn't get in the way. Most don't seem to have been set in, either. Literally just pick somewhere it's comfortable and put it there. With these things, some units chose to put a guide in the War Diary but most didn't bother. Unless it's for a specific unit, in which case you could look at the paperwork just use your common sense and put it where it's most convenient.

I don't want to seem smarmy but you are not going to find the exact answer you're looking for. There was no exact place.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:56 am 

If you look at the top photo it looks,as least to me, that the swivel mountis centred with the vertical bit that sticks up under the barrel and low enough that the swivel itself isn't higher than the top of the wood.

Image[IMG]

Peter

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:31 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Youth Vollunteers Initiative
Found this pick on the web a cuple of years ago when I was doing a thompson up for our group

Youth History and Re-enactment Group
Treasurer & Armourer

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 17:25 pm 

Now one can take one's pick. Left side or right side, both are correct.

Cheers
Peter

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 22:01 pm 

As has been said, they were fitted in various places, I have 2 and they are in similar but not the same place. I cant send photos as i'm in Italy at the moment. The problem with fitting the swivel to the front grip is that the wood is too weak there and splits. Often a Brit forgrip will have holes where the swivel has been moved and a repair affected on the crack. Dont forget that a large number of these early forgrip 28s went straight into service due to severe shortages.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 15:35 pm 

Thanks lt-deke , that is exactly what I was looking for. M3bobby, thanks also. I did note that due to the long mounting screw for the grip and the thin wood the mount would be a problem. It appears the screws straddle the hole drilled for the mounting bolt of the fore grip and thus the wood around the swivel screws will be very thin. I did suspect that someone worked out the best solution, if not the perfect solution, and that would be evident in the workmanship in the mounting of the swivel base. The Auto Ordinance company did offer a front swivel mount but it was a barrel band type and no examples are known. I really have always wondered what the function of a single attachment on the butt stock was good for but that is they way the guns were delivered. m3bobby, if you could post pics of your guns fore grip mounts I would greatly appreciate it.

Sorry if I seemed to be short in my response, no ill will intended ever. Just seeking a solution. I am in debt to all responses as they all provide additional information that will guide me in my efforts.