WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 0:12 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: M1928A1 Thompson
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 16:45 pm 

Hi, I have a few questions that really need answering can any one help?

Firstly, I know that the majority of 1928 Thompsons imported into Britain had the vertical front grip.

Secondly, I know that the British Commandos used the M1928A1 Thompson.

However, did the British Commandos use the M1928A1 Thompson with HORIZONTAL front grip?

victory in spite of all terror,

victory, however long and hard the road may be;

for without victory there is no survival."

- Winston Churchill, 1940.

Last edited by high flyer on Sat May 07, 2005 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: M1928A1 Thompson
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 16:54 pm 

high flyer wrote:
Hi, I have a few questions that really need answering can any one help?

Firstly, I know that the majority of 1928 Thompsons imported into Britain had the vertical front grip.

Secondly, I know that the British Commandos used the M1928A1 Thompson.

However, the did the British Commandos use the M1928A1 Thompson with HORIZONTAL front grip?

Have a look at the website of auto ordnance. they have very nice pictures of WW2 soldiers carrying the M1928 and M1. There are a few pictures of britains carrying M1928A1's with M1A1 front grip.

http://www.auto-ordnance.com/

Wisdom from 225 years ago: "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book,"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 17:38 pm 

Hi thanks for the web site, however all the pictures i looked at only had british troops with vertical grips in use ....not the HORIZONTAL i'm looking for. Although i must say, very helpful site for other information. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 19:23 pm 

They certainly did.

The Commandos used all types of Thompson SMG, the main one being the 1928 but 1928A1s were used in some quantity. Need proof? Look at the stills and photos of 4Cdo on the Brandyball exercise in Cornwall in 1943.

Dan

Tony Blair announced today that he is changing the Labour Party's emblem to a condom because it more clearly reflects the government's political stance.

A condom stands up to inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation, protects pr*cks, and gives you a sense of security while you're actually being screwed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 19:57 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: WW2 JRA
Where was the brandyball excercises held then in Conwall?

Japanese Reenactors forum http://z13.invisionfree.com/IJA_Reenacting/index.php?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 20:23 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Vickers MG Collection & Research Association
here are some stills from the films By Sea and land and Rough weather landing show commando's using Thompson with the HORIZONTAL grip.

Tanaka

the film showing the landing Exercise in cornwall from what i was told was around some time in 1943.

Collecting anything related to the HBMGC/Tank corps, RTC and RTR 1916 to 1945

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 20:36 pm 
5000+ Poster

Location: Performing my Internationalist Duty in the People's Democratic Republic of Felixstan
Actually, I'd say it was rarer to see the vertical grip - which I believe was only on the M1921 and M1928 and not the M1928A1 (which is what the British Army were using, apart from the first batch which were a mixture of M1921's , M1928's and M1928A1's that the Home Guard were given by the Yanks, then the Commandos nicked them once they realised they were actually a damned good weapon!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:34 am 

Kozlov wrote:
Actually, I'd say it was rarer to see the vertical grip - which I believe was only on the M1921 and M1928 and not the M1928A1 (which is what the British Army were using, apart from the first batch which were a mixture of M1921's , M1928's and M1928A1's that the Home Guard were given by the Yanks, then the Commandos nicked them once they realised they were actually a damned good weapon!)

Bizarrely, not in photographs. The vast majority of Tommy guns photographed in the hands of Commandos tend to be the 1928 version. Odd.

Dan

Tony Blair announced today that he is changing the Labour Party's emblem to a condom because it more clearly reflects the government's political stance.

A condom stands up to inflation, halts production, destroys the next generation, protects pr*cks, and gives you a sense of security while you're actually being screwed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:50 am 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

cool, if anyone else has any info on the Brandyball exercise in 1943 that would be great, like the area in cornwall that they practised. i might see if i can go on a little hunt and see what its like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:44 pm 

Hi, thanks guys for the great images which certain do support my initial question. Can anyone tell me where those pics came from? A website, your own archives? I'm now curious to find out more on the Brandyball Exercise. However, does anyone know if the British Comando units used the 1928 A1 with the HORIZONTAL front grip during the D-day landings or any other operation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:51 pm 

Kozlov wrote:
Actually, I'd say it was rarer to see the vertical grip

I thought the vertical grip was rarer because apart from these photos above I have never really seen any British Commando using the Thompson with HORIZONTAL grip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 14:31 pm 

There is a pic of 6 Commando on D Day with gliders in the background and a guy watching some PoWs on a Jeep with a .45. One of the guys at right is carrying an M1928A1 TMC. It's easy to find.

See www.internet.com for details.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 19:25 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Vickers MG Collection & Research Association
high flyer

the pictures are film shoots of two films

By Sea and Land About RM commando after d-day

Rough weather landing About the Brandyball Exercise involving 4 commando

they come on a DVD with other films called Royal marines at war. you can get it from DD video or the IWM.

also to add about there use on d-day, 48 RM commando used them as well.

Collecting anything related to the HBMGC/Tank corps, RTC and RTR 1916 to 1945

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:31 am 

Hi, thanks Trunks that really does narrow it down. I thought all the pictures were stills of the "Rough Weather Landing" about the "Brandyball" exercie lol. Now if you say the photos were of RM Commandos after D-Day then that does partially answer my second question with excelent evidence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:19 am 
3000+ Poster

Tanaka wrote:
cool, if anyone else has any info on the Brandyball exercise in 1943 that would be great, like the area in cornwall that they practised. i might see if i can go on a little hunt and see what its like.

According to 'The fighting Fourth' the exercise took place at cliffs called the 'Brandys' near Zennor. A special party consisting of 3 troops and a detachment of the heavy weapons troop of No4 (Army) Commando moved to St. Ives from 31st May 1943 for what was officially termed a 'special boat and climbing exercise'. The exercise would be a mock raid on a target slightly inland including a seaborne landing from 'Dorey' boats and a cliff ascent. The exercise was to take place on the 7th June, with final rehersal on 6th, it would also act as a demonstration of raiding techniques to a number of senior officers and VIP's who would be observing. Before the exercise took place the plan was altered so that only 2 of the 3 troops, C (climbing) troop and D (boating) troop along with 1 Mortar and 1 MMG detachment would take part, and smaller canvas 'Goatley' boats holding 10-12 men would be used, launched at sea from LCT's

Regrettably the rehersal on 6th June met with tragedy when one of the boats of C troop attempting to land in the unexpectadly heavy swell was flooded and it's occupants sent into the water at the base of the cliffs. Despite brave rescue attempts by other's, 2 men were lost. The incident was captured in it's entirety by a cameraman and the footage is often shown in documentaries on the Commando's, though the events arn't normally mentioned. After the incident the rest of the rehersal was called off and the men returned to St. Ives. Despite being given the opportunity to pull out of the exercise all ranks decided to continue as planned the following day with the demonstration which took place in better weather and went faultlessly.

Korean War reenactment forum: http://www.theforgottenwar.proboards61.com/index.cgi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 14:34 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

cheers Jon, i'll look into that :D :D