WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2020 23:56 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Winmag suppliers?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:44 am 

Hi, can anyone help? I'm new to the forum & reenacting in general, I cannot seem to find a reliable supplier for 9mm Winmag blanks for my BF Sten MKll. What do you suggest please.
Regards Mike.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:48 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA, by far the most flexible way to re-enact
I understand the supply of Winmag is in a state of flux. The original maker has stopped production and the new one hasn't started. I think the order for brass is in the 100,000's and it takes a while to raise the cash for that type of investment. Steve 'Gurowski' is the man in the know [again] I think. Vickers Sporting Services may have some. 01530 249996.

Sean Tighe

Stigroadie@aol.com
http://www.afra.org.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:53 am 

Stigroadie wrote:
I understand the supply of Winmag is in a state of flux. The original maker has stopped production and the new one hasn't started. I think the order for brass is in the 100,000's and it takes a while to raise the cash for that type of investment. Steve 'Gurowski' is the man in the know [again] I think. Vickers Sporting Services may have some. 01530 249996.
Hi Sean,
Once again I'm in your debt, many thanks for your help. Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 18:14 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Don't bother with the winmag stuff, I have been using Steve Vickers red tipped russian surplus stuff with my Mk2 sten and my spring is still ok.

"When I go from hence, let this be my parting word, that what I have seen is unsurpassable"

Rabindranath Tagore 1861 - 1941

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 19:31 pm 

birminghampal wrote:
Don't bother with the winmag stuff, I have been using Steve Vickers red tipped russian surplus stuff with my Mk2 sten and my spring is still ok.
Hi Birminghampal, thanks for your info, this is just a quick reply but, I have just bought the Sten, the seller had a "red" spent cartridge jammed in the barrel so I cleared it and tried a winmag rounds - which load, fire and eject well. When I compared the two types it seems that the nose on the red round is slightly more bulbous, although both rounds are the same length. When I tried to manually load it in to the barrel, with a clear breech, the red round will not go far enought into the barrel (I think thats how he came to have a compressed casing jammed in there) the winmag on the other hand just sits far enough in for the ejector to be able to do it's job. To be fair to the seller he did warn me not to use the reds in this particular sten. Could it be something to do with the fact that it is a scratch built BF and not a converted deact? Anyway obeying the maxim "If it ain't broken don't fix it" I am leaving well alone. I don't want to risk a red 'un just in case it jams in the barrel again - it was a bugger to get out. By the way if you want the 90 reds you can have 'em for the P&P cost, give me a posting. I'm trying to get hold of winmags at the moment - cheers and thanks for your help. Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:42 am 

Hi
Firstly if the Sten is scratch built it should be made from a strong steel that is strong enough to accept the star crimped red tip 9mm's.
I have a scratch built Grease gun and have never had any problems with the red tips, but did find that they would not chamber, this may be due to a need of force the push them in [ job of the bolt ].
Do you know who made the gun if not try and find out who made the gun a see if you can can contact him. On the other hand it may be a scalemead one that used to be as common to buy as 8mm hand guns were, and may be made of a weaker metal.
In any case if you come across black tip 9mm's DO NOT use them as these can do one of two things either go bang or boom, if they go boom you wont have much of a gun left, so stay well clear of the black tips, they are reall y for the section five weapons that need a extra wack to make up for the lost gas venting out the front.
If you need any help on where to find suppliers on 9mm red tips I know of a few, send me a private message and I'll send the details on.

good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:32 am 

Group: Second Battle Group
FYI lads, the difference between the russian blank and the win mag blank is the powder charge. A winmag in 5 grains and a russian is 6.7 grains. In an average BF, they will both work you only need a bigger vent hole for the Russian stuff. If you are having trouble with jamming then look to either a crap buildup in the chamber or the chamber is slightly tight.
Try cleaning with sandpaper.
All my BF's will run on either ammo, its just a case of can you handle the bigger bang from a top venter.

Gurowski

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:48 am 

Glen wrote:
Hi
Firstly if the Sten is scratch built it should be made from a strong steel that is strong enough to accept the star crimped red tip 9mm's.
I have a scratch built Grease gun and have never had any problems with the red tips, but did find that they would not chamber, this may be due to a need of force the push them in [ job of the bolt ].
Do you know who made the gun if not try and find out who made the gun a see if you can can contact him. On the other hand it may be a scalemead one that used to be as common to buy as 8mm hand guns were, and may be made of a weaker metal.
In any case if you come across black tip 9mm's DO NOT use them as these can do one of two things either go bang or boom, if they go boom you wont have much of a gun left, so stay well clear of the black tips, they are reall y for the section five weapons that need a extra wack to make up for the lost gas venting out the front.
If you need any help on where to find suppliers on 9mm red tips I know of a few, send me a private message and I'll send the details on.

good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:50 am 

Hi Glen, many thanks for the info, and the tips. I know this is the whole point of the Forum - so many thanks for your help...Mike
Glen wrote:
Hi

good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:53 am 

Steve, again many thanks you for your advice, I will take a look at the chamber ( you're right not the barrel!) I suspect the chamber has some stuff in there and is stopping the blank seating correctly....regards Mike

steve wrote:
FYI lads, the difference between the russian blank and the win mag blank is the powder charge. A winmag in 5 grains and a russian is 6.7 grains. In an average BF, they will both work you only need a bigger vent hole for the Russian stuff. If you are having trouble with jamming then look to either a crap buildup in the chamber or the chamber is slightly tight.
Try cleaning with sandpaper.
All my BF's will run on either ammo, its just a case of can you handle the bigger bang from a top venter.

Gurowski

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 19:52 pm 

Group: Second Battle Group
Quote:
I suspect the chamber has some stuff in there and is stopping the blank seating correctly

What I have found is the powder buildup appears to catch the front of the case and hold it after firing. This is what gives you jamming and extraction problems. Also ensure that the extractor is in good condition.

Gurowski

Post subject: winmag suppliers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 15:03 pm 
5000+ Poster

Group: 16PFA / AFRA
hi,can anyone tell me how much these rounds cost?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 17:24 pm 
There's a company that sell's 9mm Winmag blanks for around £170 inc 24hr p+p for 500rnds. Very god quality ammo, never had a problem running it through my Mk5 Sten. The company is Kynamco, sorry no phone nmber but there based near Mildenhall in Suffolk.

What ammo is your sten rated for? I only ask because my will only run on Winmag as it would not take the pressure of red tip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 22:22 pm 
5000+ Poster

thanks broadsword, i don't have a bf sten at the moment i just wanted to know to see if i could afford the ammo if i did buy one!,but thanks for replying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 22:22 pm 
5000+ Poster

thanks broadsword, i don't have a bf sten at the moment i just wanted to know to see if i could afford the ammo if i did buy one!,but thanks for replying.