WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 0:14 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:47 am 

I want to buy an example of de-ac Thompson SMG that would have been used by British Para's or Commando's circa 1944 and I'm not sure what to buy.

Ryton Arms in Notts. have a ' Thompson Sale ' at the moment and they a pushing Thompson M1's that were supplied to Russia in 1942 with 20 round mags.

But wouldn't the 30 round mag have been used by Para's and Commando's ? They seem a bit cheap at £250 / £260 is there a catch ?

Would it be best to go for a M1A1 and pay a bit more ?

Still new at collecting weapons, so any help would be appreciated and gratefully received.

Thanks,
Alan

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:22 pm 
5000+ Poster

Location: Performing my Internationalist Duty in the People's Democratic Republic of Felixstan
Safest bet for a British issue Thompson is a M1928A1 (ie top cocking).

I believe *some* Commando units did use the M1A1 (US issue, side cocking) but this was quite rare - Paul Watson is probably the man to tell you about oddities in the Commando ;-)

Magazines are the last problem on your list to be honest, although I would be inclined to stick to 20rnd sticks or the 50rnd drum (although I don't think the drum was still in use by 1944). Doesn't really matter as the stick mags are readily available in both sizes.

What you really want is a nice old spec M1928A1, now as it happens...

Andy "machine gun" Kelly
Chatham Home Guard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 13:56 pm 

Maddog

For commando you want a 1928A1 with 20 round magazine. The 30s were for the trigger happy yanks.

There is very little (if any) use of the M1A1 by the commandos.

By 1944 the only British airborne unit using the Thompson is Second Independant Airborne brigade in Greece as they are supplied through US supply chains. They also use the M1A1 folding stock carbine. 1st and 6th airborne are fully re-equipped with STENs and all the Thompsons are given up to the special service brigade.

Having said that this is re-enactment and most people dont seem to give a flying f**K what is correct anymore as doing any research is too much like hard work! They will just carry what looks cool and ignore what actually happened, usaully accompanied by some cock and bull story about winning it in a card game!

All the best

PJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 14:53 pm 
5000+ Poster

Location: Performing my Internationalist Duty in the People's Democratic Republic of Felixstan
I thought the British SMG of the Med campaigns was always the Thompson for unified supply purposes... rather than US supply ;-)

So about that M1928A1 you need....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 15:32 pm 

Andy,

Not strictly true mate. There were units who landed in Sicily armed with the STEN and carried them all the way up through Italy.

If by "unified supply" you mean the .45 arriving on US ships from America along with much of the other War Aid gear (KDs, Battledress, OD shirts) and never having been anywhere near the UK, then yes. The supply through the Italian campaign was anything but unified though.

The Canadians in Italy did use the M1A1 Thompson. That doesnt help Maddog with his question though.

All the best

PJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 15:51 pm 

Thank you gents for your input. I must admit it will not be used for re-enactment I just want to collect good examples of weapons used by the British Armed Forces and I have always liked the look of the Thompson.

I know it was a bit of a broad question, and I suppose I should have realised that nothing was really standard in WWII, but I didn't want to be ripped off with an Al Capone copy.

Thanks guys that will give me something to think about and I think I will give the cheapo one's a miss. Her indoors will have to be told yet another lie about what a bargin I got !!!!!!

Regards,
Alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 16:46 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Location: On the river that the ferry crosses, but not on the plastic side
Group: 89FSS, "A" Group, Pathfinder.
But Al

You want the Al Capone copy :shock: :D (1928A1)

Slasher

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:30 pm 

Hi ya Slash,

True, I do want the Al Capone copy, the top cocking one along with a twenty round mag.

Hope to see you in Oosterbeek in September mate, Andy Payne is threatening to come over with me so it could be an entertaining weekend !!!!

Best Regards,
Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:42 am 
2000+ Poster

I've seen regular British troops in photos from Monte Cassino using the M1A1. This led me to believe that the Thompson was more widely used than I had originally thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 22:55 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Location: On the river that the ferry crosses, but not on the plastic side
Group: 89FSS, "A" Group, Pathfinder.
Al

I'll be there for a very long weekend the way its going :D 1st jump is (possibly) on the thursday and then jumps every day :D :?

See you there

Slasher

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 17:46 pm 
If you do find a 'Brit' Thompson, it should have a marker disc on the right side of the butt, or at least a place for one to go, just a small circle 0.5" dia. Also the sling loops were moved from under the butt and forward grip to the left hand side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 18:21 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Ryton have a few thompson 28's, the prices vary, Ryton and www.worldwidearms.com do them...

Ryton did have a thompson for £2000, though it was a minty example and presumebly a low serial number :wink: