WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 20:02 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 16:33 pm 

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
I know that the "Royal Marine Commandos" arch were a real thing (also, which one is correct? The "long" one, left, or the "short" one, right,?),...

ImageImage

...and the "Royal Marines" strip (when used with "No.??" number strip above and "Commando" strip below) were a real thing,...

... - but what about the "Royal Marines" arch that I see being 'reproduced'? They seem so few and far between with only a few places reproducing them compared to the other variants listed above. Were these a genuine wartime item, or post-war, or fictional?

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 18:17 pm 

Nobody knows?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 19:41 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: WW2 Tommies
I've seen both the straight 3 piece type (number, Royal Marines, Commando) and something similar but curved, but I can't recall ever having seen photos of the 'short' one piece 'Royal Marines Commando' one in use during WW2. I'm not 110% that they weren't used, but I strongly suspect that they are postwar.

http://gallery.commandoveterans.org/cdo ... n.jpg.html

Doing an Airborne impression? Want to try jumping out of an original C-47?

http://www.wwiiadt.org

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:14 am 

I acquired a 'short' RM Commando shoulder title last year & enquired about it on the British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum & received the following response:

"Nato Stock No.8455-99-135-3357, in use from 1954 to 1976 and thence worn on Jersey, Wool Heavy since.

Royal Marines Routine Orders 235 1952 and RMRO 253 1971 also refer.

Trust this will assist."

Did no more digging beyond that, though, I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 16:54 pm 

Group: LHA.
Okay, this can be completed so I will keep it as simple as possible.....

1 On joining the RM you were issued a curved, 'woven', Royal Marines shoulder title.

2 On completion of commando training you were issued a straight, 'cash's tape', Commando shoulder title that would be placed below the RM shoulder title.

3 On joining an RM Cdo unit you were issued either a 'woven' or 'cash's tape' unit numeral that would be placed above the the RM shoulder title.

So initially you would have a mixture of seperate 'woven' & 'cashs tape' shoulder titles, but then.....

1 A straight 'cashs tape' Royal Marines was produced.

2 A 'woven' Commando shoulder title was produced.

3 A 'cash's tape' unit numeral was produced.

So now you could now have either all 'woven' or all 'cashs tape' or a mixture of 'woven' & 'cashs tape' shoulder titles, but then.....

1 A curved 'woven' shoulder title with Royal Marines, Commando, and Unit numeral was produced.

2 A straight 'woven' shoulder title with Royal Marines, Commando, and Unit numeral was produced.

So now you could have either of the above, all 'woven' or all 'cashs tape' or a mixture of 'woven' & 'cashs tape' shoulder titles, but then.....

1 Some RM Cdo units had their own titles produced that differed to that of other RM Cdo units.

2 Some units would only wear certain style of shoulder title on specific battledress (denims, working battledress or walking out battledress for example)

3 Some longer serving individuals preferred to wear a certain style of shoulder title.

So depending on the individual, the RM Cdo unit, and the period of the war you wish to portray the answer to your question should be somewhere above, but then.....!

Steve

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 17:08 pm 

Cheers for that! Really helpful and interesting answer!