WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 5:07 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Cockle Mk 8
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 20:33 pm 
2000+ Poster

Location: The wild border lands between Lancashire and Yorkshire
Group: HMS
We are currently reproducing a Mk. 8 Canoe, as one never made it through to the present day. We fancied it as it was a 4 man (less work for all) and that it was motorized as well. Hopefully it will be ready next year. If you're interested in the project - get in touch.

Here's a photo of progress on the middle section.

The original photo is from Quentin Rees' book on the canoes. Essential reading for anyone interested in the canoe. He has another one coming out soon too. Sounds very interesting.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

()) ---- ())

Historical Maritime Society
WW2 Royal Navy & 30AU

“Now landsmen all, whoever you may be, If you want to rise to the top of the tree, If your soul isn't fettered to an office stool, Be careful to be guided by this golden rule-- Stick close to your desks and never go to sea, And you all may be Rulers of the Queen's Navee.”

If God had meant us to be in the Army, we would have been born with green, baggy skin.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Cockle Mk 8
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 20:34 pm 
2000+ Poster

Floor now in place.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

()) ---- ())

WW2 Royal Navy & 30AU

“Now landsmen all, whoever you may be, If you want to rise to the top of the tree, If your soul isn't fettered to an office stool, Be careful to be guided by this golden rule-- Stick close to your desks and never go to sea, And you all may be Rulers of the Queen's Navee.”

If God had meant us to be in the Army, we would have been born with green, baggy skin.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 20:40 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: 95th nacht abt..attached 85th gebirgs
wow guys nice one

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 23:45 pm 
2000+ Poster

Stern section framework completed today.

Also have the first consignment of ping pong balls which were used as buoyancy. We will eventually need nearly 1500.

So if anyone has a large number they don't want - let me know.

They were sewn into bags of 48 each.

()) ---- ())

WW2 Royal Navy & 30AU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:08 am 
2000+ Poster

cracking project, but just remember what happenned to them !!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:03 am 
2000+ Poster

It's OK - we don't intend taking it in harm's way... particularly where marine borers (of all kinds) are concerned.

Most interesting has been the research into the materials - particularly the ply used. You wouldn't think there'd be an expert on the historical use of plywood - but there is.

Modern quality marine 3mm ply is so much more efficient and well made than 1940's ply - they're almost like 2 different materials I never thought I'd be able to bore on the subject of ply but I can!

All donations of ping-pong balls gratefully received (should that be wiff-waff - a la Boris).

It won't be a cheap project though - I can't see it coming in under £3,000 as some of the engineering around the engine will have to be farmed out. Might even be considerably more.

()) ---- ())

WW2 Royal Navy & 30AU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 13:45 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Commando D
Outstanding work Gentlemen!

Have been reading more about the Cockles recently and our group has discussed the idea of heading in this direction in future to further our training disciplines and experience.

If, and only if you gents might be interested in producing further models in future for resale, we would be most interested for sure.

Very much look forward to seeing finished results in action!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 14:35 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: VHK Erika Brno
Interesting one!
Have you got original blueprints or is based on photos?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:33 am 
2000+ Poster

The original plans were unfortunately destroyed about 10 years ago. As a result we've had to draw up our own on autocad. As luck would have it we have a lot of data and a lot of photos. Quentin Rees has a lot in his book and we've been able to have a look at a lot of the aluminium ones which have some fittings which are identical - hatch covers, outrigger slides, etc.

Quentin has helped us quite a lot with information and sizes, etc. we weren't quite sure about.

We were not able to source a reliable supply of obeche wood for the frame so opted for a close relative idigbo - which looks and behaves so closely I don't think it matters too much. Everything else is correct but again of course modern marine ply is so much better than wartime stock that the finished product that our canoe will probably be stronger than the original. The same thing applies to modern glues.

The difficulty with producing more than one is obtaining the original power unit. I only know of 3 currently in existence and two of them are in museums. if anyone is sitting on a Britannia power unit and wants to pass it on - best prices paid :-). Let me know.

I think we'll end up with a pretty close replica of a Mk. 8, given that they did suffer a number of field mods as well, we're going for an early unmodified version.

()) ---- ())

WW2 Royal Navy & 30AU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 17:23 pm 
2000+ Poster

Latest photos.

After a lot of discussion around how we'll never fit four of us in... I can say we're quite wrong. We fit fairly easily and the man in the engine room has loads of space. Also rudder now complete and on.

Next job is to skin the boat. Plywood ordered.

Also managed to get an engine running - most amazed.

()) ---- ())

WW2 Royal Navy & 30AU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 18:11 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Group: MECo
Superb work on this, really coming together, glad to have found this thread with it's reawakening, I'll keep an eye on it!

What type of engine is it?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 19:02 pm 
2000+ Poster

6 Commando wrote:
Superb work on this, really coming together, glad to have found this thread with it's reawakening, I'll keep an eye on it!

What type of engine is it?

Water cooled flat twin two stroke.

()) ---- ())

WW2 Royal Navy & 30AU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 19:48 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Group: MECo
Capacity? I'm presuming as you said you only know of 3 originals it's close but not an exact match to the design of engine used in the original Mk. 8s? What sort of top speed does it give the canoe?

Got to ask where did you find it and how much did it take to get it running?

Sorry for all the questions, you've tapped directly into my enthusiasm :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 20:44 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: Unable to commit
TBH, a little bit of leeway should be given to the propulsion unit - if it isn't seen, then a suitable replacement should be used...

Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 21:17 pm 
 ICQ  Profile

Nice job, Chris. :wink:

The Garrison (UK)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:49 pm 
2000+ Poster

Thanks for all your support. The canoe seems to have stimulated a lot of interest.

We hope to have it ready for next late May Bank holiday. Maybe the Gloucester Docks event, if it comes off.

Surprise too, another power unit has emerged. Sadly we can only look - not use, as it's still new and boxed and its owner wants to keep it that way. Bugger! Obviously they aren't re-enactors.

The original engine was rated at 4hp and drove the canoe at a max. speed of 7 knots fully loaded in a moderate sea. Extra fuel was carried in several tanks scattered around the canoe giving a range 70-90 miles. 1 carbon tetrachloride fire extinguisher was on board (we might have a modern one too).

Auxilliary equipment included items like a lateen sail, a P8 compass, a repair kit, a hand-bearing compass, battery powered signalling gear and of course 1536 ping-pong balls in canvas bags of 48. Apparently they were occasionally armed with a Vickers K gun, but I don't have any proof of this.

Crew is one officer, one petty officer in the 'engine room', one rating and either another rating or Royal Marine (in the front) who could (I repeat could) get out, swim ashore and take samples from beaches, etc.

Our current engine, although similar to the original, is only rated at 3 hp but we don't intend taking it on the sea where it's all rough and we might get our delicate skin injured by the combination of salt water and wind.

()) ---- ())

WW2 Royal Navy & 30AU