WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:31 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Coming together...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 15:26 pm 

Group: Civil Defenders/No10 Commando 3 Troop
Now then guys and girls...
I have been looking at trying to get as many commando groups in the UK and outside, getting together at an event next year to create a, hopefully not, one off super group to rival all the cherry berets you see around. I haven't considered a venue etc yet as I would like all those involved and interested to give input and have their say about it. Anyway, let me know how you all feel about it.
Craig

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Coming together...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:34 am 

Group: AFRA
Sorry completely overlooked this post so apologies for late response. Putting it simply, I'd be interested in both such a gathering and to hear what others have to say. I suppose such a gathering would need to be fairly central as events at either end of the country can be hard to travel to some folk. Additionally a gathering of commando re-enactors of various kinds may need an agreed focus so all involved are on the same page etc. Maybe such a gathering could take place at an established event?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:22 pm 

Yes, my thoughts exactly! Somewhere such as Ruffled Abbey perhaps? I think something fairly generic would be best such as 2 days after DDay perhaps.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 22:55 pm 

Group: They Led The Way
What about at the commando monument atop Speanbridge?

Scott

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:45 am 

That is another option that I would fully endorse. The only issue is accessibility for everyone as I would like to try to get as many people there as possible. If enough are interested it may be worth getting in contact with the RM Commandos to try and get their support.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 23:16 pm 

Group: AFRA
Although the Commando monument and associated locations around Spean bridge/Achnacarry etc would be great -and indeed I know there has been 'commando marches' there and similar events over the years, its not a 'central' location in the UK that would be easy to travel/access to for a weekend event. I suppose there are other towns/cities that were the initial home of commando units around the UK -but these most likely are on the coast (like Weymouth where No.4 commando were linked to) that also may be difficult to get to for some people. I wonder if an event would 'support' a 'gathering of commandos' -so it had that as a focus/theme point -just as events have a Battle of Britain etc theme sometimes. I suppose if an event did support it-then also veterans and possibly the Army/RM Commandos might be interested in getting involved. -Could extend it a little further and say 'a gathering of commandos and rangers'??

To add, it would be good to see more Army (and RM) commando groups out there -especially at events that have a suitable backdrop or commando related history.