WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 20:22 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Canadian No4 mk1T
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 20:10 pm 

Hi guy's, I've just come upon 2 references to a Lee Enfield sniper rifle of ww2 with a sport butt stock on it, and was wondering if anyone knew anything about them, and how common they were. The references refer to them as Canadian Number 4 mk1T's, (ref. page 164, photo's on 4th page of illustrations, "With British Snipers to the Reich", and again in the Osprey Elite 68, "The Military Sniper since 1914" page 32). Kev

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Canadian No4 mk1T
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 22:17 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Probably mean the experimental rifles that either had the C No.67 (No.32 Mk4) scope or the "scout" rifles with various commercial trials scopes with cut down fore ends and windmill/flip out iron sights.
All of these has carved butt stocks with integral cheek rests instead of the standard one screwed to a standard No.4 butt.

so by their very nature of being experimental rifles they were not very common at all.

Currently in work so don't have access to my books. although a good one for Canadian sniper rifle reference is "Without Warning" by Clive Law.

Paul.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 23:00 pm 

Hi Paul, I was getting quite carried away with planning a replica using an old airsoft butt stock, and doing a Canadian Airborne impression, I'll certainly look out for the book though.

Kev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 23:47 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Hi Kev,

I'll have a look to see when they were issued so you at least have some dates to work with, although very little photo evidence exists of any of the experimental rifles in service. They were originally created to alleviate the issue that REL in Canada couldn't produce enough lenses to keep up No.32 scope production for the Longbranch conversion program.

Due to this they produced a number of experimental rifles with all sorts of stock and scope designs to find a good combination with readily available, abundant parts. Although the program was not finished before the end of the war from memory and nothing went into large scale production.

Nor do I know of who exactly the rifles were issued to.

Paul.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 21:55 pm 

Hi Paul, it's a bit of a grey area then.
Kev