WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 23:22 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 17:06 pm 

Group: AFRA
Hi, I have a 1928 Ishapore SMLE and have just bought a new nose cap for it as it's in better condition. The problem I have is that after removing the two screws I cannot get the old one to budge!

I'm a bit puzzled by this as it should be straight forward to remove, and I have even tried giving it a tap with a hammer. The only conclusion I can arrive at is that the old one has been fixed to the barrel during the deactivation process but that makes little sense to me.

Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 17:08 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A.F.R.A, Road to Mandalay.
try tapping it the other way with a hammer, might loosen the welds if it is, but more likely just seized on?
Have you tried a little penetrating oil?

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 17:25 pm 

I'm guessing it's seized on too as welding it would make little sense. I tried tapping the sides and the front, but it made no difference. I'm a little nervous about going at it too hard or using a screwdriver in case i damage the wood. I assume WD40 may help loosen this up?

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 17:38 pm 
1000+ Poster

always worked for me!

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 17:53 pm 

Just given it a good squirt with WD40, I'll leave it a while to soak in so hopefully it'll help.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 18:52 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
Which buffoon let the ROC have rifles anyways. ;) Hope it works out alright though mate. If not, bring it along to Peterborough and I'll see if I can give a hand....with Taiters and Nick looking over my shoulder. ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 19:44 pm 

Shrrup you! :lol: Got it sorted now, there's a difference between the one I just removed and the replacement though, anyone know why?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 19:45 pm 

Well the good news is that it must have come off already when the rifle was deactivated. Next bit of good news is that if it had been welded on, you would see it as there is no way to weld it on from the inside.

Have you go a bayonet for it? If you have, fit it and use a nylon faced hammer or a copper faced hammer and tap on the back of the bayonet. You can give the wood work and bayonet finish some protection by pacing a wrag around the area for some protection. It will come off, it's just tight, probably knocked on with a hammer after it was reassembled.

Oh, you could also remove the mid barrel band and then remove the top wood to remove some of the friction and get a good look in that area.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 19:49 pm 
1000+ Poster

dunno, different make? my old smle had a simular nose cap with no fixing for the piling sling.

― Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 19:51 pm 

I see you've done it.

The one on the left is the later Indian nose cap, often seen on the late Mk3 and 2A/2A1 7.62mm (Indian NATO version of the SMLE). The one on the right is a variation between the early type with piling swivel and the later type with the unfinished piling swivel boss. Note there are no lightning slots under the foresight protector ears.

Which one have you just fitted?

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 19:54 pm 

I've just found the answer, it's an Ishy just like the rifle which is why it fits ok, the bad news is that it's from 1966!! Looks like this one is going on eBay, and I'll re-blue the original.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 19:55 pm 

http://lagniappeslair.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... or-me.html

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 19:57 pm 

Can you show us a photo of your complete rifle?

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 20:12 pm 

It's a 1928 Ishapore SMLE No.1 Mk.III. I've just now replaced the nose cap with the one it came with as it's the proper one, though it's puzzling why it's not got the usual oval cutouts.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 20:39 pm 

No, that's all correct. Your rifle would have had that type of nose cap fitted. The first type had the rounded ears (Sht LE Mk1 & 1*), the second type was the normal early type fitted to the MkIII with piling swivel, small head screw, lightning cuts etc. The 3rd variation is yours, 4th variation has the solid piling swivel boss (Aussie), 5th variation is the 4th variation with holes in the ears to drift adjust the fore sight. 6th variation is the Indian type you have got.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 20:48 pm 

m3bobby wrote:
No, that's all correct. Your rifle would have had that type of nose cap fitted. The first type had the rounded ears (Sht LE Mk1 & 1*), the second type was the normal early type fitted to the MkIII with piling swivel, small head screw, lightning cuts etc. The 3rd variation is yours, 4th variation has the solid piling swivel boss (Aussie), 5th variation is the 4th variation with holes in the ears to drift adjust the fore sight. 6th variation is the Indian type you have got.

Cheers for the info, I'd not seen a solid nose cap before and thought it was Indian specific. A friend of mine has a similar Ishapore No. 1 Mk III, and his does have the cuts, I guess like many things in WW2 there were different mods and variations on a theme.