WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 0:08 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:30 am 

Group: Battlefront Living History Group
Thought I'd share, maybe someone can provide info which I haven't come across myself yet.

Info:
Hammer has been ground off, then reblued, and it was converted to a Mk 1*, however was never stamped with the *, as would be done after the conversion.
Double Action only, as per the above conversion.
Made in 1932, one of the first 22,000 made. Serial B1###.
At some point it was tested and released to civil use (markings on the barrel, right side, in front of the cylinder).
Wood Grips were replaced with 1942 type Wood Grips.
Is marked "42" in large stamps at the back of the gun, between the grips.
Also seems to have been arsenal opened in 46' if my understanding of the stamps is correct, internal mechanism is the only non matching s/n part on this gun (grips don't have a s/n, but they are technically non matching too).

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 20:10 pm 

If your seeing the marking of 46 in photo 8 as a date its actually a inspectors mark and the 46 is the inspection number. As well as the nitro proof marks on the barrel, each chamber in the cylinder will also have a stamp in the flutes.

Don't worry about the grips, they are quite scarce, they are from a limited run where the manufacturer wanted to use up the surplus escutcheons (the nut in the right grip) used on the Mk1 grips. They were orignally designed to have a large brass disc similar to the stock disc found on Lee Enfield rifles and Brens inserted into the disc and the grip screw would screw into the disc.

You may have seen this image before

But these grips have never been noted before so could be experimental

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 14:17 pm 

Group: Battlefront Living History Group
Thanks for the information! The image with the grips is indeed the one I got the year 1942 off of.

Is it possible that the 42 stamped on the back is when it was opened? Or would that be a unit number of some sort?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 15:30 pm 

The 42 is more likely to be a armoury/rack number and as the side plate would have been removed quite regular for cleaning and re-oiling, marking it every time would mean running out of space to stamp quite quickly. The only marks ever made on the gun refering to maintenance or repairs (In UK and Commonwealth) would be FTR which is a Factory Thourough Repair.