WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:30 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 19:10 pm 
1000+ Poster

Seen a MkIV for sale marked War Finish but barrel looks short to me. Will it be a police item or did our forces use them too?
It has RAF lanyard but that could have been added of course.

It is also marked "Webley conversion". What does that mean?

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 19:16 pm 
1000+ Poster

A quick Google has answered the second question I think. Probably a .22 conversion.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 21:19 pm 

Group: Volkssturm Werwolf
I've got a 'war finish' 3'' barrel large grip Webley that's in .38 ..I suspect these may have been some kind of Frankenstein conversion, using a pocket revolver barrel ( the finish on barrel is slightly different too ) ..I've seen a few of these.... also seen a 2'' barrel version aparently for sale in USA see pic below :shock:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 23:34 pm 

They used the original barrel, cut the end off, machined the barrel off the removed section to leave the ribb and forsight. They then milled off the rib left on the kept section to the same size as the cutt off section and silver soldered the 2 together. If you look carefully you can usually see the tell tale line of solder. The 'Webley Conversion' can be found on the MkIV and the Enfield No.2 revolver and appears to be associated with conversions to blank fireing guns.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 0:41 am 

Interesting..tho the one I've got in front of me right now ( 3'') is def not cut down , the barrel is a one piece forging with the upswept foresight base rib as integral..... I can see the line of solder in the pic of the 2'' now you mention it ... I've just seen another 2'' one on internet, again in USA, those must be a very rare gun.
....I do rather like these little 'snub' Webleys myself !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:38 am 
3000+ Poster

my book says it was made in 3, 4 and 5 inch .....

shorter barrels would be police or colonial organisation but did find their way into military hands

If you have the last word and no one heard it - Did it happen? https://youtu.be/mQZmCJUSC6g

(No)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 18:53 pm 

With the 2'' ones both being advertised in USA I suspect they were converted over there at some point ( in the way M3bobby describes ) ..snub nose concealed guns being a bit of an American thing clearly ! .... the other one has the non spur so called 'tanker' type hammer ( double action only ) ..cool little guns!..here's a pic...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 21:23 pm 

The idea is a copy from the Enfield conversion for the Police trials in the 50s. In the end some Police forces bought brand new Enfield No.2s, the last to be produced.

This is my Police revolver. The rear sight blade is missing in the photo but I do have it.

Late production No.2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:34 am 

I thought it would be likely to be more of a police type of weapon, mine is very like yours, only has the black Webley named grips ( full size) and lanyard ring, the frame says War Finish above trigger, I suspect it's been converted ( maybe in the 50s ? ) from a standard wartime mk IV using a commercial Webley 3'' barrel, the finish on barrel doesn't quite match..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 16:40 pm 

Anyone know if they made a specific holster for the 3'' barrel version ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:55 am 

I very much doubt there will be a military holster but there may be a civilian, Police or Foreign power holster for them as they made thousands of revolvers with varying barrel lengths and variations for those markets.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 19:22 pm 

Sounds about right ! ....Many thanks for the informed intel on these short Webleys btw :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:57 am 

pete the dog wrote:
I thought it would be likely to be more of a police type of weapon, mine is very like yours, only has the black Webley named grips ( full size) and lanyard ring, the frame says War Finish above trigger, I suspect it's been converted ( maybe in the 50s ? ) from a standard wartime mk IV using a commercial Webley 3'' barrel, the finish on barrel doesn't quite match..

Yip, I suspect you are right. The War Finish Webleys had a 5" barrel and just as you indicated a civilian refurbish job was done using a 3" commercial Webley.