WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:32 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:27 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: A.F.R.A, Road to Mandalay.
whilst browsing ebay i came across some clips to allow 45ACP rounds to be used in a MK6 webley, but i belive the chambers were altered, is this true and if so how?
Would it be possible to use 45ACP blank rounds in a MK6 webley with these clips?

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:06 am 

The cylinder needs to be shaved at the rear to allow for the thickness of the clip. This is somthing that was done years ago in the states but now collectors shun them. I wouldn't shave a cylinder on a shooter, theres no point, live .45ACP has a far higher pressure than .455 so most shooters of .45ACP conversions load there own to the same pressure as .455, so why not just load your own .455 to start with. I assume you have a Mk6 on licence and just wondered if you could use .45 auto blanks at shows instead? If that correct, have you thought about making adapters to use short .38 blanks, much cheaper and easier to comeby.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:15 am 
1000+ Poster

Nope, was mearly a speculation, had discussed with someone if they had ever seen a blank firing MK6 webley, as i had never seen .455 blanks, only ever .45ACP blanks.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 18:47 pm 
3000+ Poster

but you sure the clips are for a WEBLEY and not a Colt/Smith & Wesson M1917?

converting Webleys is a yank thing to get over lack of .455 ammo

If you have the last word and no one heard it - Did it happen? https://youtu.be/mQZmCJUSC6g

(No)

Last edited by lordduvet on Sat Mar 17, 2012 18:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 18:50 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: WW2 Tommies
lordduvet wrote:
you sure the clips are for a WEBLEY and not a Colt/Smith & Wesson M1917?

.455 ammunition is often quite difficult to get hold of in the US, so many Webleys over there were modified to use .45 ACP and moon clips á la the US M1917 revolver.

Doing an Airborne impression? Want to try jumping out of an original C-47?

http://www.wwiiadt.org

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 23:14 pm 
1000+ Poster

Ive seen .45ACP blanks, but i've yet to come across .455 webley blanks, they probably do exist but ive never seen them

― Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 23:26 pm 
3000+ Poster

if you were making a blank firing .455 webley then you'd be better using .45 colt .(maybe even 44 winchester or .380 rounds) anyway rather than .45 ACP. certainly would use a revolver round not an automatic one.

.45 colt is quite easy to find in blanks as the cowboy types use them (you can even chop up .410 shotgun rounds to fit )

If you have the last word and no one heard it - Did it happen? https://youtu.be/mQZmCJUSC6g

(No)

Last edited by lordduvet on Sat Mar 17, 2012 23:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 23:27 pm 
1000+ Poster

Making a blank firing MK6, is that legal? the only ones i ever see are de-acts!

― Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 23:28 pm 
3000+ Poster

i wasn't commenting on legality - just on the engineering process.

there are legally made blank firing revolvers out there though...

(No)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:01 am 
1000+ Poster

ahhh

factory ball .45acp such as yugo manufacture intended at least partly for smg was way too hot for the breaktop Mk6; skimming the rear of the cylinder was a plumbers' conversion although it it permit faster reloads for an amateur than loose rounds - but the associated downside was that extracted/ejected rounds remained in clips so you had to separate the unfired from the fired and fiddle them out of the clips to put any live back into the cylinder; you had to use rounds in a clip as without the clip the headspacing couldn't be sorted correctly..

never ever met any .455 blank, military or civilian; Kynoch '.450' blank in the (very) old red/green cardboard boxes was the job..military .455 was a pain to reload as Berdan primed but anything that will chamber with correct headspace should do the job but beware cardboard blank as it disintergrates may block the cylinder/barrel interface..

so long as legally possessed and authorised to fire blank, (clever but possible...just) then no problem -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 21:38 pm 
Supporter

there is actually a rimmed version of the .45 acp round specifically for these guns so that there was no need to use the half moon clips anymore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 20:57 pm 
Supporter

which i have 49 of in the " for sale " section

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:07 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A humble militaria collector at your service
The_Commander wrote:
i had never seen .455 blanks, only ever .45ACP blanks.

.455 blanks did exist, although they're a collectors item now and I doubt any have been made commercially for decades:

https://sites.google.com/site/britmilam ... lank-proof

Personally if I had the kit and expertise to scratch build a UK legal blank firing replica of a Webley MkVI, I would chamber it for plain vanilla rimmed 9mm blanks:

http://www.battleorders.co.uk/guns/9mm- ... -bo9m.html

Give the brightest light.
Safe in your place deep in the earth
That's when they'll know what you were really worth.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 20:29 pm 

sadbunny wrote:
there is actually a rimmed version of the .45 acp round specifically for these guns so that there was no need to use the half moon clips anymore

Its called a .45 auto rimmed, it's not specifically for the Webley although it is an older cartridge. The reason for converting Mk6 revolvers to .45 ACP is due to the abundance of .45 ACP ammo, far more abundant than .45 auto rimmed however if you have a converted cylinder and reload your ammo to .455 spec then the auto rimmed cart is probably a better option and looks more original.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 23:34 pm 

Group: The Great Exhibitonists
with regards to making blank firers out of deactivated, DON'T

if you have a friendly knowledgable registered firearms dealer and gunsmith , there may be a way BUT if you make a deact fire anything it is no longer a deact and therefore a firearm, or at least that's the basics of it

My RFD told me to just fit a new firing pin in my deact webley and use it for firing blanks, /shudder

If it's EVER fired live rounds you can't use it to fire blanks, or supposedly it's parts

so that superb pair of real grips for your blank fire 1911, technically could be on shaky ground,

but if the original weapon never ever fired anything at all, then you can use the parts as if they were spare parts,
(technical loophole?) as the weapon was obviously put together out of parts, just look at front venting blank firers of the western persuasion, it's easy enough to make a barrel similar to 'stafford hill' but the rest of the item might be effectively real if of the right quality steels. so be very careful modifying anything to fire blanks

its all very stupid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:17 am 

Group: Battlefront Living History Group
Daze wrote:
with regards to making blank firers out of deactivated, DON'T

if you have a friendly knowledgable registered firearms dealer and gunsmith , there may be a way BUT if you make a deact fire anything it is no longer a deact and therefore a firearm, or at least that's the basics of it

My RFD told me to just fit a new firing pin in my deact webley and use it for firing blanks, /shudder

If it's EVER fired live rounds you can't use it to fire blanks, or supposedly it's parts

so that superb pair of real grips for your blank fire 1911, technically could be on shaky ground,

but if the original weapon never ever fired anything at all, then you can use the parts as if they were spare parts,
(technical loophole?) as the weapon was obviously put together out of parts, just look at front venting blank firers of the western persuasion, it's easy enough to make a barrel similar to 'stafford hill' but the rest of the item might be effectively real if of the right quality steels. so be very careful modifying anything to fire blanks

its all very stupid

I somehow feel the laws in the UK were written by someone who's seen a gun in a photo once...

We use live weapons with either gas-restrictors hidden in the flashhider/gasbooster or blank firing barrels. It's almost funny to see guest reenactors from abroad twitch when you tell them the StG44 they're holding is able to live fire.

On the topic of using 9mm cartridges in .455s with an adapter, not a bad idea. Might have to look into that myself (since I am allowed to legally).
In my experience 9x19 blanks work fine in .38 Service Revolvers too, but that's to do with .38 Short blanks being in short supply here.