WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 0:13 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:22 am 
Forum Legend

Group: Unable to commit
Ditto - looks lke I'll have to go with a Mauser...

Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 15:46 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A.F.R.A, Road to Mandalay.
So are these legal, or illegal in the uk, rather tempted myself as i dont have the kind of spare cash to fork out on a de-activated MK VI, so a replica MK IV is just up my street.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 21:29 pm 

Group: Blyth Battery
Yep they are legal.
I've handled one and it was pretty good with the only fault being the ball bearing and spring.
Battle orders always seams to have them in stock.

www.blythbattery.org.uk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:43 am 
1000+ Poster

sadly the only internet connection i have access to filters out everything so cant see they're website!

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 15:17 pm 
4000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

mmm £65 , not to bad.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 18:01 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: V.E.R.A+the 29th field kitchen. 16 PFA, 23 PFA
we got two off them for £55 each from stand up hook up last April they are grate for holster filling

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 19:10 pm 
2000+ Poster

How closely do they resemble Ww1 type?

I dare do all that may become a man; Who dares do more is none

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 17:58 pm 
1000+ Poster

ww1 type, the MK V and VI had a larger frame size, mk4's are alot smaller

― Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 18:06 pm 
2000+ Poster

Thought so. Anyone doing the .455 version?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 18:15 pm 
1000+ Poster

Nope

― Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 0:28 am 

Group: On Parade & The Law at War
A bloody shame. I've got a deactivated Webley .38 MKIV and though I love it - what i really want is a proper decent hand cannon of a .455

I saw a load at DnB at War and Peace last year and - whilst i salivated over them ever time i walked past - i couldn't justify that kind of money. I'd love someone to make a replica. I mean - if Denix are going to make replicas of things like the LeMat - then why not the .455 Webley ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:45 am 
1000+ Poster

agree totally, the money for mkvi's is silly.

― Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:02 am 
2000+ Poster

It is considering they cannot be particularly scarce. I had no idea til I started looking into it. Its preposterous.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 14:59 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A humble militaria collector at your service
It's just supply and demand in operation and there's no RRP on a deact. There are far more people who would like to own a deact Webley MkVI than there are examples for sale at any one time = high prices.

Give the brightest light.
Safe in your place deep in the earth
That's when they'll know what you were really worth.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 15:11 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: 53rd Welsh
Or even more simply - given plenty are on the market - its another example of artificial inflation.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 19:26 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A humble militaria collector at your service
Swiper wrote:
Or even more simply - given plenty are on the market - its another example of artificial inflation.

Other than Worldwide Arms I'm not aware of any dealers that have deact MkVI Webleys for sale in significant quantities. (Happy to be corrected) Anyway, that's only part of the determinant of value - another is desirability. E.g. A lot of WWII German stuff isn't numerically that rare, but they're still worth lots of money. Another factor is what did it cost the dealer to obtain and what is their profit margin?

I'd argue the only objective measure of whether something like a deact MkVI is priced too high is whether or not it sells. If you want to bring the prices of deacts down then don't buy them.

As you might have guessed, I find the question of 'how much is an item of militaria worth?' an interesting one. :) I'm not a dealer BTW, neither am I attempting to defend dealers with a 'kite flying' pricing strategy.

Cheers,

Mark

Give the brightest light.
Safe in your place deep in the earth
That's when they'll know what you were really worth.