WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 16:28 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 18:53 pm 

The Joseph Lucas company of Birmingham produced a No. 4 Enfield spike bayonet made of 7 pieces of sheet metal welded together and then pinned and welded to a spike. I find this wonderful (and dreadfully ugly) device evidence of the determination of Great Britain to overcome all in winning WWII. I want to display this single bayonet with a diagram of the individual parts showing how the bayonet was assembled. I can use about any image that might illustrate this regardless of source. Does anyone have such an image they would be willing to share? Thanks in advance, Your Yank friend, John McP

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 20:41 pm 

try graham priest's Spirit of the pike. It's an excellent book with loks of diagrams and phots.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 16:39 pm 

The Priest book looks promising but the nearest library copy is several hundred miles from me and buying a copy is out of the question due to the limited use and costs. Does anyone here have a copy who would care to take a look and see if there is a diagram of the parts? Thanks in advance, John McP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 17:05 pm 
1000+ Poster

I assume you are refering to the No.4 Mk.111 Bayonet.

http://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Identi ... kes_2.html

Quite if these engineering drawing exist is questionable. You could always try an e-mail to the company which will probably totaly confuse them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 17:59 pm 

REME 245 wrote:
I assume you are refering to the No.4 Mk.111 Bayonet.

http://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Identi ... kes_2.html

Quite if these engineering drawing exist is questionable. You could always try an e-mail to the company which will probably totaly confuse them.

I have a copy of priests book, but not sure which variant your refering to as the spike was either pinned to a forged socket or cast onto it. As far as i can see there arn't any that are made from sheet steel.

Do you have a pic of the one you want diagrams for?

I should have also added that there are spike based bayonets which are made from sheet metal which were intended for the sten gun.
Doug

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:54 am 

In fact it is the No 4 Mk III bayonet. And yes, they are made of 7 pieces of stamped steel into which the spike was pinned and then welded. These were the least expensive of the No 4 bayonets and the finish shows that. All that said, they worked as well as any, but were just ugly. If Priest overlooked this variant then he has erred greatly. About 200,000 of these were made and in 1946 they were removed from service and I suspect sold as scrap. Only Lucas made this variant.

It is because it represents to me the lengths that Churchill would go to in winning that I want to create a display for this object. One may consider the Sten much in the same mold, and I agree there also. I am a great admirer of the effort of Great Britain in WWII. I enjoy my trips to England and always find someone who was there in WWII to talk to about their experiences. These are wonderful experiences for both myself and my wife.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 14:31 pm 

jdmcomp wrote:
In fact it is the No 4 Mk III bayonet. And yes, they are made of 7 pieces of stamped steel into which the spike was pinned and then welded. These were the least expensive of the No 4 bayonets and the finish shows that. All that said, they worked as well as any, but were just ugly. If Priest overlooked this variant then he has erred greatly. About 200,000 of these were made and in 1946 they were removed from service and I suspect sold as scrap. Only Lucas made this variant.

It is because it represents to me the lengths that Churchill would go to in winning that I want to create a display for this object. One may consider the Sten much in the same mold, and I agree there also. I am a great admirer of the effort of Great Britain in WWII. I enjoy my trips to England and always find someone who was there in WWII to talk to about their experiences. These are wonderful experiences for both myself and my wife.

It would have helped if you had posted a pic of the bayonet.

Anyway, I've found reference to the drawings you're after. It's Bayonet No4, Mk3 :DD(E) 3453 1 to 8 on page 106 of Graham priests book spirit of the pike. He may have be able to help you with copies of the originals.
You could try contacting him yourself directly. He lives in chippenham Wilts UK.
Doug

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 17:14 pm 
1000+ Poster

It would have helped if you had posted a pic of the bayonet.

Anyway, I've found reference to the drawings you're after. It's Bayonet No4, Mk3 :DD(E) 3453 1 to 8 on page 106 of Graham priests book spirit of the pike. He may have be able to help you with copies of the originals.
You could try contacting him yourself directly. He lives in chippenham Wilts UK.
Doug[/quote]

There was a picture and full description of the Bayonet on the link I posted.