WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:59 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Help identifying a sword
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:01 am 

Group: AFLHA
Hi chaps and chapettes,

I got talking with a friend of mine recently about the hobby and he got talking about a sword he had from his great grandad that he knew very little about and asked if i would take a look at it for him. I am no expert really but said i would. There are no markings on it what so ever so i am stumped. I was wondering if there is anyone here that may be able to shed some light on exactly what it is. I assume its a ceramonial sword due to it not being sharpened, but any help would be appreciated. By the look of it i believe it may also be WW1, maybe even pre that, but like i said, im no expert. On the last picture there does seem to have been a more 'modern' repair to it as there is a rusted nut on the base of the handle.

Any help or advice would be greatly welcomed.

Cheers
Chris

Well, what I mean by that, sir, is... if you was to put me and this here sniper rifle anywhere up to and including one mile of Adolf Hitler with a clear line of sight, sir... pack your bags, fellas, war's over. Amen.

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disgused as another dude!

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:18 am 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: WW2 Tommies
I'm no expert, but that doesn't look like it's a military sword. My guess is that it is a cheap souvenir to hang on the wall.

Doing an Airborne impression? Want to try jumping out of an original C-47?

http://www.wwiiadt.org

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:23 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: Thunder From Heaven Retired list
Chris

1822 or 1842 Infantry Pattern Sabre, they made them according to your rank and purse.... some are blued and gilded - some not so....

Have a freind with a similar one, poor quality but still brings water to a Frenchmans eyes....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:22 am 
2000+ Poster

A curved blade would suggest a Light Cavalry or Light Infantry sword but there is only one hanger so it would flap about uncontrollably

CSM "Are those your best boots corporal?"
Cpl "No sir, I have no favorites"

You want it when? :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:26 am 

Group: Isle of Man Home Guard Re-enactment Society
It's a wall hanger as BJ states and not a genuine item.

regards

Baz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:42 am 

I have one myself....If you look on one side of the blade it should say 'Made In India' very faintly..

''Keep your eyes wide open. Tune yourself to the top most pitch. Be nimble as a greyhound, as tough as leather, as hard as Krupp steel and so you shall be the German warrior incarnate.'' - Fallschirmjäger Commandments No.10.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:37 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A.F.R.A
from a blade makers point of view, things don't weigh up with it being a proper blade let alone a military blade, the bolt on the end of the tang... is it just screwed on or riveted over? if it is screwed on then the natural loosening of this bolt with use would cause looseness between the blade tang and the fittings, causing the blade to rattle and not something you want to swing around. the handle has been bound properly but the material looks like stippled leather, most military blades of the time would have had shagreen binding the handle due to the grip nature on the hide but i suppose normal stippled leather could be used on lower end blades, on the 6th picture down it shows large gaps between the tang on the blade and the guard, this looseness is something that would intensify rattling if the nut where to be loosened, as with a proper blade you would make all the fittings to be flush with the blade. I myself have a similar length and styled but differently patterned blade that is an indian made wall hanger, this also has a nut on the end of the tang but with brass hilt fittings and considerably less quality than the one you have! :) , a telltale sign of a wall hanger is if you hold it you will notice it is 'blade heavy' ? that is to say there is not much balance to the blade?
another thing to prove it is not a british sword, does it not have a sigil to the monarch at the time? the 1845 pattern infantry officers sword I have has a sigil to queen victoria and the 1897 pattern sword having a sigil to king George V these being the monarchs sigil with the crown above it.
having said all that, it is non the less a very nice wall hanger of good quality :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 20:41 pm 
3000+ Poster

cheap indian repro of 1840 french heavy cavalry sabre also used by the americans.

If you have the last word and no one heard it - Did it happen? https://youtu.be/mQZmCJUSC6g

(No)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:00 am 
3000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
Yes, cheap Indian souvenir type sword. Not military at all. My dad has an identical one that he purchased at auction back in the late '60s/early '70s, along with a Khukri. Nothing but wall hangers I'm afraid.

http://www.afra.org.uk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:11 am 

Not to worry. Take it to a martial arts center and pretend to be a samurai. It'll fool them.

''Keep your eyes wide open. Tune yourself to the top most pitch. Be nimble as a greyhound, as tough as leather, as hard as Krupp steel and so you shall be the German warrior incarnate.'' - Fallschirmjäger Commandments No.10.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 14:10 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Location: WPFG Centre. (Operating within Moscow Centre's Scale of Norms)
Group: Za Ob/WPFG Complex e i gentiluomini.
Fallschirmjäger wrote:
Not to worry. Take it to a martial arts center and pretend to be a samurai. It'll fool them.

Het.

"We have internal enemies. We have external enemies. This, comrades, must not be forgotten for a single moment"
( Comrade Stalin, 1928)

"Who watches The Watchmen?"... The NKVD.

"The Devil came to me one night, he struck his claws into my hands, I prayed for him to stop but he wouldn't .....so I told him to F' off..... he did".
(An old Russia lady)

"We will fight for peace until there isn't one stone left standing on another".
(Soviet folk-saying)

"Gesplitzenblitz !" ( Peter Sellers)

"To err is to be arrested ".
"To forgive is not within the Scale of Norms".