WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 17:25 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 20:47 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: The Stonewallers 29th Infantry Division, C Company
Sorry if this has been asked before, but which did the most damage - US pineapple or German stick?

Thanks,

Bob

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 14:16 pm 
1000+ Poster

Doctor Bob wrote:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but which did the most damage - US pineapple or German stick?

Thanks,

Bob

hi bob
my understanding any frag grenade- very dangerous- hence the term defensive grenade

german stick- blast grenade-able to be thrown and followed in in attack- US had similar blast grenade for offensive actions

germans added frag sleeve to stick grenade mid/late war to uprate its effectiveness

cheers
dave g
TFH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 17:51 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: The Stonewallers 29th Infantry Division, C Company
Cheers Dave :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 14:22 pm 

Group: The Fighting Fourth
Bob

I think it is generally accepted that the US Pinaple Grenade was more effective than the German Stick Grenade.

Tony

A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.
Albert Einstein

Trying to bring Authenticity to The MV world since 2006.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 14:24 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
Lethality, yes a heavy bodied frag grenade (US pineapple, Brit No.36 or Soviet F1) was more effective.

However, its much easier to throw a potato masher and you can throw them much further.

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 14:28 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: They Led The Way.
But can you blow them out the end of a rifle?

Plus, the german grenade took up more room, so you get less in a box and can carry less of them....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 15:07 pm 
4000+ Poster

True, you can't launch a Stielhandgranate from the end of a rifle, but rifle grenades are sooo last war :D

The Soviets had got rid of theirs pre-WW2 and the British also made limited use of them in WW2 and not many nations kept them beyond WW2, except for using in anti-riot capacity (with CS etc)

So rifle grenades, great for trench warfare, not so good for the more mobile warfare of WW2.

Bulkier to carry, yes, I suppose so but given the (real) weight of pineapples (etc), the real amount you'd carry probably equates to the same thing. I don't think I'd want to carry more than say four of any sort for long periods. Can you carry four Stielhandgranate, probably.

One or two grenades per man seems to have been the norm for nearly everyone, unless you are sitting still with a big box of them in the bottom of a foxhole.

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 17:28 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: They Led The Way.
Are you telling me all the N00b-tubers on CoD WaW are Farbs?! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 21:39 pm 
4000+ Poster

Yes, carrying 250 grenades is unrealistic :)