WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:31 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 0:05 am 
 WWW  Profile

Location: On the river that the ferry crosses, but not on the plastic side
Group: 89FSS, "A" Group, Pathfinder.
Ive got a pair of BD trs copied from what a Airlanding medic said his were, 2 map pockets, not expandable type and I wore them at Arnhem in 99. While there I was suprised to speak to another RAMC vet who said he also had them and then found out that there is a scene in "Theirs Is The Glory" which shows another medic wearing them.

So theres another modification.

Slasher

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 0:08 am 
3000+ Poster

you make a perfectly good point Les, the problem we face is that some reenactors arn't always sencible and will take it to extremes. Unless a modification was standardised or widespread within a sizeable unit (1st ATF in Op. 'Dragoon' for example) then my personal belief is that it's best left as knowledge and not put into practice. I agree with you that we need to know these things, it's the kind of personal detail that gets left out of many texts, but unfotunately it often starts us on a slippery slope to sillyness. You only need to look at some of our septic friends, there's at least one reproduction M42 paratroop uniform thats sold with extra pockets on the arms as standard, even though this in reality was a limited "field" modification and only really applicable to a perhaps 5% of one Airborne division for a relatively short period, it looks cool so people start taking it out of context and doing the same, this then becomes as unrealistic as ignoring any and all modifications in the first place. I always feel the safest bet is to go for what the majority did, the rule rather than the exception., If for some reason a huge hole appears in our knowledge, we suddenly find overwhelming evidence that such and such was done by so and so unit as a whole but nobody had noticed until now (which does happen), then we can start looking at things on a case by case basis, otherwise I think we need to try our best to inform rather than interprit. I'm sure you know what I mean, the good old fashioned 'I've seen a picture' syndrome.

Korean War reenactment forum: http://www.theforgottenwar.proboards61.com/index.cgi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 18:39 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

I like knowing about modifications, finding out what different trades, Medic, Rad Op, Gunner, etc, did to standard equipment to ease or aid their jobs. Its the same arguement over Airborne tabs, everyone has an opinion over who took them off when and where, the same for all X-Type chutes had white webstraps, etc. Kit-wise, a lot depended on units, C.O's, and ultimately the individual's whim.

When i asked this question, it wasnt aimed at my adapting my kit to match a photo, I myself dont like the idea of First Person re-enactment. Its cos i am a nosy bugger who wants to know!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:20 am 

What is variation like within a re-enactment unit?

For example do a few of your guys intentionally not carry gas masks through "personal choice?" Is there allways one guy carrying a looted mp40? etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 15:33 pm 
3000+ Poster

Lance Jackass wrote:
What is variation like within a re-enactment unit?

For example do a few of your guys intentionally not carry gas masks through "personal choice?" Is there allways one guy carrying a looted mp40? etc

Nope not where I come from, the group I'm with is pretty much straight down the line standard kit. The problem you get is that when one person is different then everyone else wants to be and it gets silly. We are only showing a representative sample of what was originally a larger unit and to start getting too individualistic with kit could give the impression that the original unit was the same, which it wasn't really. Obviously there are minor variations like what people carry in pockets and packs, how the odd item is worn, but overall nothing that really stops everyone looking pretty much the same, like a unit that had been supplied, trained and working together for some time. To be honest, the unique variations that we all see in period pics. are very interesting and well worth recording, but 90% of soldiers never had the time, inclination or opportunity to be anything other than fairly annonymous standard khaki blobs doing a job.

Korean War reenactment forum: http://www.theforgottenwar.proboards61.com/index.cgi

Last edited by TALLERTHANBETTY on Sun Jun 26, 2005 16:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 15:59 pm 

Ah but surely if youre representing the last days of fighting around the oosterbeck pocket then you'd have some guys carrying enemy weapons etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 16:30 pm 
3000+ Poster

Indeed you would, and if you were representing Op. 'Berlin' you could quite accurately stand around wearing a pair of underpants and an army blanket, unfortunately we rarely get the chance to portray a specific event or certain short period, so we have to keep things quite generic. At most events we represent 'British Airborne soldiers' from the later part of WW2 and thats as specific as we can make it without confusing jo-public. If you get an occasion where you can portray a very specific event, such as the fighting in Oosterbeek late in 'Market Garden' by all means dump most of your webbing and start picking up enemy weapons, but unless you are able to sit the public down and explain 'We are X unit as they could have appeared at Y day in September 1944 during the fighting at Z part of the Oosterbeek permiter because of such and such' the pubic will generally get the wrong end of the stick, hands up anyone who's ever been asked at an event 'what country are you supposed to be from?'. Though all of us have quite specific campaigns or Ops. that we tailor our kit to we have to remember that many of those coming to see our displays don't have our level of knowledge, they really have to be lead by the hand on many aspects and it makes things more difficult the more specific we get.

Post subject: Re: Pocket Adaption.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 17:07 pm 

The main figure is Sgt Larry ansell of b company 2 para, on his nd trousers he has the addition of two grenade pouches taken off a parachutist over smock. The other guy with a sten, Unknown unit has the addition of a Denison smock pocket seen to his nd trousers. The bloke resting is lee Enfield is Pte Bernard salt also of b company 2 para. He has opened the rear of his smock up to carry extra kit.
Hope this helps.

Post subject: Re: Pocket Adaption.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:08 am 
3000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
We used to field quite large numbers with PBI (25+ at some events) and had standard 'do the norm' kit for everyone but one or two people each event might wear something 'non standard'.

For example Craig sometimes wore a civilian collarless shirt under his BD, one guy might have a sleevless 'tank' top type sweater but it was always very *rare* that anyone carried anything unusual and not issue and when it was it was usually stuff like 'knitwear'.

We tended to do homefront 'in training' impressions so captured weapons almost never featured.