WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:45 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 17:25 pm 

Hello,

Sorry if this is a complex question but would the Ox and Bucks troops who were involved in Operation Deadstick have had brass 'colour' beret badges or white metal 'colour'. I know that one or two berets in the Pegasus memorial museum have white metal but I wonder if there is a difference in terms of officer/Nco etc?

Thanks for your help, I'm not very familiar with British insignia.

Thanks,

Tom

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 17:41 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: AFRA, Oxf & Bucks LI, British Airborne Platoon
Regimental War Chronicle Vol 2 1940-1942
Early in August (1940) Lieutenant-Colonels D.C. Covill, D.S.O., M.C. commanding the 43rd, L.W. Giles, M.C. commanding the 52nd, and G.E.
Whittal, M.C. commanding the I.T.C. , met at Cowley Brarracks and agreed on certain items which were circulated to all battalions as follows:

CAP BADGES:
Small shoulder title horn to be drawn by the Quatermaster from Ordnance, silvered privately and issued to the regiment at 2 1/2d.

As far as the 52nd were concerned this was not a new badge to them, they had already been wearing them as per the 52nds letter in the
Regimental Chronicle for 1927:-
“August 22.—Khaki Field Service Caps ordered to be replaced by all ranks with those of dark green colour as the former become unserviceable, the small bugle (shoulder bugle size of white metal) to be worn with the latter.”

For further details visit the following Website:

http://www.lightbobs.com/

The original batch were brass ones that had been silvered, later they were produced in white metal.

Originals of the right size/pattern in white metal can be difficult to find. Brass bugles of the type used on the shoulder titles do come up on Ebay from time to time, but have to be 'silvered'. Also remember that the shoulder title horns came facing either left or right, get one facing the correct direction!

I have a number of original and good quality repro ones which I sell to members of my group.

Please don't forget along with the cap badge should go the correct colour/material/size Rifle Green backing material.

Cheers,

Andy Ansell

Living History Group
An AFRA affiliated group

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 20:18 pm 

Thanks Andy,

Much appreciated. I know where I'm going now!

Tom