WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 7:52 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Another DENIX M1928
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 13:25 pm 
 WWW  Profile

once in a while i participate on reenactment events, collectors meets aso

my favourite WW2 (and earlier weapon) is and ever was the M1928 Thompson with Cutts compensator and Lyman sight

so up to now i usually took one of my deact M1928 Thompson with me

carrying an original weapon sometimes is a bit delicate and actually i wanted to keep the originals in the closet rather than carrying them around

also due to the fact that the laws even here in Germany get more and more strict - and in case if i want ot get to some international events like Bastogne, Normandy i decided to purchase one of those DENIX repops

price was less 160.- euro for a new one so i ordered one of the "Drum Mag Thommies"

when that thing arrived it really didn't look like an original

see some "before" pics

i replaced the handgrip and forend stock with originals, added a swivvel to the aft stock, tried to match the colour tone of the original woodwork with the DENIX rear-stock and think i got a "thing" pretty similar to the reality ...

see some pics after the mods

off course there is still some space for additional improvement - especiall the slot in the actuator knob for aiming - but so far i'm satisfied with the result

i had the woodwork as well as the swivvels "on the stash" so was not necessary to buy any additional stuff

the whole "action" took less than 8 hours and 3 cups of coffee

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Another DENIX M1928
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 13:32 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: lytham wartime
excellent work , good to see them improved :D

james

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 16:23 pm 

I used a junior hacksaw and a small round file to achieve the notch in the actuator.

I have also found out that the bolt assembly from an MGC thompson will fit the Denix reciever.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 0:52 am 

Group: Keystone Arsenal Replicas
This work is excellent. These are the types of things we do here in our shop. Your mods make all the difference in the world to the realism of the gun. The Denix out of the box is only OK, and need some attention to make it look good, or at least correct. I must admit, I never thought of adding a bolt head to the bottom of the Pistol grip. The original Denix pistol grip can be made to the correct shape with some sanding, and made to the right color with proper staining. Denix uses a horrible red colour stain. I have done this many times, but looking at your pic with genuine furniture gave me an idea.....I never tought of adding the bolt head to the bottom of the stock Denix Pistol grip!!...it's also nice to see some one lese is offended by the wrong diameter cutts comp...lol....Kudos brother, we do this all the time in the shop, and we could not have done it better. again, great job!!

Sincerely,

Gary C.

ReplicaGuns.com
KeystoneArsenal.com