WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 17:49 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:50 pm 

Group: 2nd Armoured In Europe
Ah fair point...arsenal rebuild then....will check the mount when i have done the housework..;-)..she who must be obeyed has given me a list of stuff to do...that doesnt involve OD or web or WW2 MV stuff.....:-(

Will report back

Regards

Lloyd

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 14:50 pm 

Righto Bryn mate i have had a chance to strip my TSMG out... so some questions

its serial number is 59947*.....so what year is this..anyone ?

the rail the forestock sits on is NOT solid....so does that mean it could have had the reenforcing band on as standard ?

i take it all the AOC stamps are Auto Ordnance Corporation stamps...and the S stamps are Savage parts

Bryn the only place i can find that does these parts are the TommyGunner and they DO NOT ship gun parts internationally...

so the southern softie is issuing a plea for help..:-)

Regards

Lloyd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 15:15 pm 
3000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
Certainly sounds like it should have had the band with that mount, Lloyd. They were retro fitted once the flexing problem was discovered, as far as I know. Perhaps a previous owner has removed it, thinking it was wrong? Correct on the AOC and S markings, mate. Is the upper Auto Ordnance or Savage? AOC made much fewer M1A1's than Savage, so that number could be fairly late for them, but no records exist. My M1 upper is Auto Ordnance and 35XXXX, and definitely made between April and October '42, which is when the M1 was in production. Could you not get a mate in the USA to get you one?

http://www.afra.org.uk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 15:42 pm 

How can you tell the difference mate....i do have a receiver and trigger group serial number match so thats good......

i am keen to learn about my TSMG now

Regards

Lloyd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 0:20 am 
3000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Savage M1A1's have an S before the serial number, Lloyd. Nice to have matching numbers. Mine is an Auto Ordnance upper on a Savage lower. Bit more dating info for you: The M1A1 was only made from October 1942 until late '43, so the M1 amd M1A1 were only manufactured for about 18 months. Approximately 1,400,000 M1 and M1A1's were made in total by both companies. That's about all the information you'll find. As Savage made many more than AOC, if you figure on maybe a 600,000/800,000 split, it would put yours late in the AOC M1A1 production and mine towards the end of their M1 production.

The only real difference between the M1 and the M1A1 is the bolt, which has no separate firing pin on the M1A1, just a pin cast onto the bolt face. Most M1's were retro fitted with the M1A1 bolt. Some were stamped with the extra A1 and others not. Early M1's had the simple Lyman L rear sight, like mine, later ones and the M1A1's had the rear sight with the side protector bits. Some early M1's had this retro fitted.

Funnily enough, all of Rex Cadmans M1A1's have the M1 bolt in them, with separate firing pin, one of which got damaged at Beltring.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 18:50 pm 
3000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Just a few reference photos of the band and fore grip which I received today to send on to Lloyd:

What do you reckon to that, Lloyd :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 20:06 pm 

I reckon that will be just the ticket Bryn mate..will enhance my M1A1 in the Ardennes 99th Infantry march in December and on all subsequent armored recon european trips and events....

You sir are a star..i owe you one

Regards

Lloyd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:26 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: EAFVG, EMLRA & other
Hi.

Where did you get hold of the fore grip & band from please?

Cheers. Rob

Freedom of expression is essential in enabling democracy to work and public participation in decision-making. Citizens cannot exercise their right to vote effectively or take part in public decision-making if they do not have free access to information and ideas and are not able to express their views freely. Freedom of expression is thus not only important for individual dignity but also to participation, accountability and democracy. Violations of freedom of expression often go hand in hand with other violations, in particular the right to freedom of association and assembly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:53 am 
3000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

It was just a chance thing, Rob. A friend of mine in the USA (Sean Foster on the US forum) saw the photos of my Thompson on FaceBook and, when I commented that it had faint traces of the band on the fore grip, he asked if I wanted one to complete it because he'd replaced the front end of his M1A1 with a NOS grip. I said I didn't need it, as mine has the original stronger mount and the traces of the band being there are so faint you can hardly see them, so he said if I knew of anyone in need they could have it for free. I immediately thought of LLoyd, asked him if he was still after the band, and Sean posted it to me to forward on. Lloyd is a lucky boy :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:09 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: EAFVG, EMLRA & other
Well done.. good to see people working together.

Still on the hunt for a good rear grip you see.

Looks like a hunt at Beltring next year.

Cheers. Rob

Freedom of expression is essential in enabling democracy to work and public participation in decision-making. Citizens cannot exercise their right to vote effectively or take part in public decision-making if they do not have free access to information and ideas and are not able to express their views freely. Freedom of expression is thus not only important for individual dignity but also to participation, accountability and democracy. Violations of freedom of expression often go hand in hand with other violations, in particular the right to freedom of association and assembly.