WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:58 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 18:07 pm 

Can anyone tell me the going rate for a new spec carbine? I am looking at selling one of mine but not sure of the going rate! it's a National Postal Meter S/no 4354..., Dec43-May44?, flip safety,flip rear site, U below the serial number which I believe stands for US&S, X on a round bolt, P and MARLIN stamped on the barrel and NS on the fore site and would be sold with an original sling and oil bottle.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 22:55 pm 

Group: Great British Bigfoot Appreciation Society
I bought a new spec Postal Meter one a few years ago for around £150, no idea if the prices have changed since though!

CAN I GET A HOOAH?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 23:05 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: E Co. 2 Batt, 16th Regt. 1st Infantry Division
New spec Carbies seem to be about £450 odd at De-Act dealers.

YMMV.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 23:14 pm 

Group: Sapper Eagles. 307th Airborne Engineers
Guy i know managed to pick one up for around 350 just before christmas

"We're having a great time. I cleaned up all my best war stories for her. I was just telling her how we chased the teddy bears into their cuddle bunkers, then had to tickle them out with machine hugs and fun throwers! They say the more soldiers you tickle, the easier it gets. Well, sir, it doesn't" Grandpa Simpson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 23:16 pm 

Group: 2nd Armoured In Europe
Rob...how "mullered" is it inside.......and how new spec is new spec.....i know that sounds like a silly question but with carbines...older "new" spec carbines were not too bad still had the hammers in and most of the internals.

The round bolt(post war).....and rebarrelled Marlin barrel.......make it a right mixmaster.....but the inverted U on an NPM make it a sub contract carbine....nice.

any slot looking top down onto the bolt....left hand side...? and does it have the correct woodwork..or is it a type 5 pot bellied stock..?

Regards

Lloyd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 19:20 pm 

Group: Great British Bigfoot Appreciation Society
2ad82recon wrote:
Rob...how "mullered" is it inside.......and how new spec is new spec.....i know that sounds like a silly question but with carbines...older "new" spec carbines were not too bad still had the hammers in and most of the internals.

The round bolt(post war).....and rebarrelled Marlin barrel.......make it a right mixmaster.....but the inverted U on an NPM make it a sub contract carbine....nice.

any slot looking top down onto the bolt....left hand side...? and does it have the correct woodwork..or is it a type 5 pot bellied stock..?

Regards

Lloyd

Lloyd didn't I sell my M1 carbine to you a few years ago?

Tom

CAN I GET A HOOAH?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:57 am 

Hi Guys and thanks for all the replies, here are some pics of the Carbine it's a 2004 which is also when I bought from Sherwood. Looking on the inside it looks pretty mullered :( to me, I may sell the original bag with the Carbine too as I have two others, the bag is a Tweedie 43.

Thanks again
Rob

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 16:45 pm 

Thats not too bad mate at al...apart from the round post war bolt...and the flip sight being on the wrong way round.....;-) you look through the "peep hole"......not the conical reticle...BE careful you dont drive it out the wrong way when changing it...

wood is correct pattern and NO M2 "slot" and yes it has been pretty mullered inside.....no hammer and you can bet yer arse some dick has dot punched the trigger housing so you cant remove the fuckin rotary safety.

IF the bag is original i would sell it seperatley..they bring good $$$$$$ on flea bay to the US carbine collectors....:-)

Value of that carbine...£275-£325...depending on what comes with it.

But there aint many good ones about just lately.....

Regards

Lloyd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 17:12 pm 

2ad82recon wrote:
Thats not too bad mate at al...apart from the round post war bolt...and the flip sight being on the wrong way round.....;-) you look through the "peep hole"......not the conical reticle...BE careful you dont drive it out the wrong way when changing it...

wood is correct pattern and NO M2 "slot" and yes it has been pretty mullered inside.....no hammer and you can bet yer arse some dick has dot punched the trigger housing so you cant remove the fuckin rotary safety.

IF the bag is original i would sell it seperatley..they bring good $$$$$$ on flea bay to the US carbine collectors....:-)

Value of that carbine...£275-£325...depending on what comes with it.

But there aint many good ones about just lately.....

Regards

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd,
Thanks for all your help sir, I'll change the flip site round :oops: so it's correct! As you said it's nice apart from the post war bolt.

When I sell the Carbine it will come with an Original sling and oil bottle and some pouches (not sure how many yet as I need some for my other carbine), one mag (in the carbine), and a couple of inert rounds, so i'm more inclined to go for the hire price.

Thanks again
Rob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 17:33 pm 

No worries mate..and you are correct it is a sub contract NPM.......made by Union Switch and Signal.......quite a rare beast.

If i didnt already have an NPM carbine mate..i would have had it.....Marlin is a replacement barrel......by the way too

Yeah £325-00 c/w....oiler/sling/ mag and pouch is afair sale price mate....the correct woodwork is the saving grace of that carbine as the buyer will stillneed to buy a type 1 barrel band and push safety to complete and be correct.

Regards

Lloyd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 17:45 pm 

2ad82recon wrote:
No worries mate..and you are correct it is a sub contract NPM.......made by Union Switch and Signal.......quite a rare beast.

If i didnt already have an NPM carbine mate..i would have had it.....Marlin is a replacement barrel......by the way too

Yeah £325-00 c/w....oiler/sling/ mag and pouch is afair sale price mate....the correct woodwork is the saving grace of that carbine as the buyer will stillneed to buy a type 1 barrel band and push safety to complete and be correct.

Regards

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd,

Thanks again mate for all your help, I also posted on a U.S forum and a couple of guys said that a MARLIN barrel with a 'P' NPM's proof firing mark is correct for a Carbine produced in mid to late 43, they were delivered around 29.000 barrels between April and December of that year from Marlin, and they produced around 314,000 in total! amazing stuff when you look into it all.

Repro type 1 barrel band on Ebay 190488015358 $7.95, plus $15 p+p

Thanks
Rob