WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:11 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 21:04 pm 

Group: They Led The Way
Can you travel on a train with a deactivated weapon if it is in a bag?

I need to go from glasgow to england and was wondering if this would be legal?

It would be in a repro rifle bag marked us, and I would have the deact certificate on my person, along with my provsional drivers licience. May also be travelling down in hbts.

Any help with this would be most appreciated! Cheers lads :mrgreen:

Scott

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 21:12 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: GI44-45
arnhem44mad wrote:
Can you travel on a train with a deactivated weapon if it is in a bag?

I need to go from glasgow to england and was wondering if this would be legal?

It would be in a repro rifle bag marked us, and I would have the deact certificate on my person, along with my provsional drivers licience. May also be travelling down in hbts.

Any help with this would be most appreciated! Cheers lads :mrgreen:

Scott

Shouldn't be an issue, a bag is a bag is a bag, even if it looks like a rifle bag. Your not openly showing the dealt in public and it's covered at all times and under your control with the dealt cert to hand. I can't see a problem with it.

After all a train is no more public than purchasing it from a show and driving it home where you may have to stop for fuel, rest breaks etc.

Just keep it covered and under your control at all times.

brought my battalion to the briefing prior to Normandy, I had the finest combat-ready force of its size that will ever be known. By the time I gathered them together in Normandy, half were gone. I charge you: put us down in Holland or put us down in hell, but put us all down
together in one place, or I will hound you to your graves."

Lt. Col. Mendez, Commanding Officer 3rd Bn 508th PIR 82nd Abn Div

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 21:16 pm 
3000+ Poster

Not illegal - however -You want to make it as invisible as possible - rifle bag is a bit obvious - I'd go in civvies as well. the less obvious the better.

people panic - call people - armed police arrive - etc etc. quite possibly end up in the papers too.

Be carefull - be paranoid - even though you are not doing anything wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 21:27 pm 

Group: They Led The Way
gliderinf wrote:
Not illegal - however -You want to make it as invisible as possible - rifle bag is a bit obvious - I'd go in civvies as well. the less obvious the better.

people panic - call people - armed police arrive - etc etc. quite possibly end up in the papers too.

Thanks to both of you lads! Big help! :mrgreen:

Fair point mate thanks, will travel in civvies and take the hbts in a bag, will have to have a think about the rifle bag, might just rap 2 black bin bags up around it. and tie it off with elastic bands

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 21:30 pm 
2000+ Poster

yes, but disguise it as said

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 21:42 pm 

Depends on the rail companies terms of carriage. However if you do as suggested you should not have a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 22:11 pm 
5000+ Poster

Group: 16PFA / AFRA
gliderinf wrote:

Sound advice, keep your hands on the bag at all times.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 22:13 pm 
3000+ Poster

jw wrote:
Depends on the rail companies terms of carriage. However if you do as suggested you should not have a problem.

you will have a problem if you carry something that appears to be a gun or leave it anywhere.
use a golf bag or non gun bag - guitar boxes are good

don't use bin bags

go to your mums to get your uniform ironed before travelling too

If you have the last word and no one heard it - Did it happen? https://youtu.be/mQZmCJUSC6g

(No)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 22:38 pm 
2000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: VERA
I used to travel down to Newcastle with a deac and never had a problem - I did once take my Bren down and as I was going into Motherwell station a kid shouted "nice gun Mister" then as I was getting off the train an old boy said "I havent seen one of them in years" - I thought I had it well wrapped too - just the carry handle sticking out the top - it did have me slightly worried as I walked down to the metro and had to pass a couple of police officers but they didnt seem to notice.

If possible I'd break it down as much as possible - even if it just shortens it a bit it makes it less gun-like

Alistair

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:16 am 
1000+ Poster

Break the rifle down, it will fit in a smaller bag
If not use a fishing rod bag, its much bigger but less threatening to passers by.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:25 am 

Group: FFL LHG, The Other Allies LHG and WW2 in Colour
I carried my Bren home on the train a few months ago. Broken down in a rucksack. No problems as long as it's not obvious.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 22:06 pm 

Group: 1st Infantry Division (USA)
Break it down definitely, I travelled the length of the district line through London during the olympics with a stripped down weapon in a bergan, no one gave me a 2nd look.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:42 am 

Group: Normandy 44
Break down the weapon would be more of a concern to the police if they found out scott so keep it hold keep it covered and you wont have a problem have all your paper work to

Scott
No point in putting it in golf bags or owt like that as it makes it look more suspisios

And you can carry a gun/rifle in a public place as long as its covered
London bylaws on the trains wont let you have any form of rep deac or live shooter in the stations in london i bet thats just what they are like down there but most rail networks will allow it

Scott

Www.n44.co.uk

Rangers lead the way !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:41 am 
3000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
WAYNE15071965 wrote:
Break the rifle down, it will fit in a smaller bag
If not use a fishing rod bag, its much bigger but less threatening to passers by.

That's how I use to transport my BAR on trains. Big padded carp rod bag. Worked a treat :)

http://www.afra.org.uk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:58 am 
1000+ Poster

There's a difference between getting away with something and it being legal. As previously stated, it's really dependent on the terms of carriage of the train company and the bylaws of whoever owns the stations you are using. The problem is getting a straight answer out of anyone, as deacs aren't generally mentioned in the "rules". The people who get paid to field enquiries such as this tend to have a gut feeling that deacts aren't allowed (even though they can't find where it says so) and the more you ask, the more obstacles will be put in your way to deter you from doing it.

If there really is no other option than to use the train, I'd suggest simply making it look as inconspicuous and non gunlike as possible. If you've done such a bad job that a kid shouts "nice gun mate", then don't be surprised if you find yourself in all sorts of trouble

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/no ... an-toy-gun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 18:21 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: A.F.R.A, Road to Mandalay.
Hmmm, very interested in this as next month i shall be travelling almost entirely by train and taking an smle with me, so will have to construct some kind of bag of large wooden box with carrying handle on to transport it i think.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt