WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 0:19 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Levisham 2018
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:42 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: I/II-AA Das Reich (W.A.R.S)
The incident, if indeed it ever happened (Both ourselves and the station staff are at a loss) is one complaint. There are far more complaints about Allied reenactors behaviour over the weekend and that's a fact :-)

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 13:04 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
I don't doubt that for one minute ... seen some questionable things happen over the years to be honest !

Its not as though there arent other questionable things going on at these events though ... grown men dressed as school kids, cap short pants etc for one ... I mean ... W T F is going on there .. what on earth has that to do with re-enactment .. ??

As dedicated (genuine) re-enactors, I think we put up with a lot at these public events. On the one hand we have all the hard work, research etc to get things right, not to mention trying to honor those we represent from those times in our presentations and displays, then on the other you get the wally dress up brigade poncing and strutting around .. and who do the media and MOPS go for 90% of the time ... it could be soul destroying, but we are made of more than that I think, so we carry on regardless.

A word maybe to NYMR, and other organisers, enforce your own rules, take responsibility if you don't.

I think you will find out this October .... this is most definitely going to be your loss ... !!

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 13:32 pm 

Neily Baby wrote:
Its always been a Home front event. Well, allied military only. The show organisers place Levisham at the disposal of Axis groups as a trial 12 years ago. It worked, so was permitted to continue there. But only there.

Thank you for the answer to my question.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 18:08 pm 
Forum Legend
 YIM  Profile

one would go to see axis uniforms at le visham instead looking at them from behind glass in a museum I was one who attended the very first year as a re enactor before it was taken over and improved to the standards it is now with no axis troops what's the point of going to the 1940's weekend anymore ?

Id sooner be 20 minutes late in this world than 20 years to soon in the next.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 18:58 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

[quote="NOMAD" with no axis troops what's the point of going to the 1940's weekend anymore ?[/quote]

Doesn't that depend on the theme of the event/weekend, if it is advertised as a Home Front event then surely you wouldn't expect to see any .. and like it or not, as responsible re-enactors, don't we also have to honor the rules of the event organisers for the weekend .. ??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 20:44 pm 
1000+ Poster

" and like it or not, as responsible re-enactors, don't we also have to honor the rules of the event organisers for the weekend .. ??"
Couldnt Agee more. One should always honour the sport of the event. If not, then don't attend. Simple.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 21:36 pm 
Supporter

Group: Reduit im Luft Neutral Airforces Swiss & Dutch
Equalities legislation being cited as a reason for not having axis units, sounds highly dubious. If it was a legitimate fear, we would have heard of it before now. Putting up signs warning people who may find offence, is a reasonable adjustment to such fears. Unless an organisation is pushing this directly at reenactment, can't see what the problem is, 'fear of offence being caused' is totally ludicrous . If an organisation is using this line, to attack reenactment, then it needs to be rebutted, widely, because it won't stop there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 21:49 pm 
Forum Legend
 YIM  Profile

Yes true correspondent / Neily baby, point taken I stand corrected

Id sooner be 20 minutes late in this world than 20 years to soon in the next.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 21:56 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

You know looking at this from another perspective, it must have been hard for Neils group to have uniformed allied personnel walking around 'Le Visham', must have spoilt the effect for them a little.

I was told that you weren't allowed to carry weapons there, (as a Warco I'm not armed of course), which is understandable, but in not allowing German uniforms in Pickering, then perhaps there should have been a rule not allowing allied uniforms in Le Visham .. ??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:35 am 
1000+ Poster

Would have been impossible. We were happy to have the quantity of public we did. A few Allied uniforms in among the throng were not a problem :-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 15:06 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
I was just thinking we've come a long way on this forum.... from an alleged "anti axis bias" to all of the (well, the somewhat limited) users here being supportive of Neil and his "no Germans" woes...

Progress I think :)

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 16:09 pm 
1000+ Poster

Hits like button :-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:24 am 
Supporter

Group: Reduit im Luft Neutral Airforces Swiss & Dutch
NYMR are in the process of receiving a £4.6 million Heritage Lottery Fund grant. So it looks highly likely that they've pulled the plug at Le Visham, either due to a perceived threat to the grant, or a direct warning. Daft, as had even a fraction of the money gone on improving Levisham events, would have reaped dividends. Still, when you consider someof the carbuncles which the lottery has funded. The concrete tit at Duxford, which is only fit for a V-2 themed expo. You know, the one designed by a tit, glass fronted, doesn't open, and you have to take the wings off planes, to get them in and out! (seriously)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:45 am 
1000+ Poster

Yes, this has been discussed as a possible reason, but over the 12 years we've been there, they have applied for and been given grants.
Like I said before, no biggie. Its the railway and ultimately the publics loss.
I wish them every bit of luck in the future.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:10 am 

Neily Baby wrote:
" and like it or not, as responsible re-enactors, don't we also have to honor the rules of the event organisers for the weekend .. ??"
Couldnt Agee more. One should always honour the sport of the event. If not, then don't attend. Simple.

I've just read this on The Ironbridge WW2 Weekend 26th & 27th May 2018 site:-

Axis re-enactors who wish to leave the arena and go e.g. into the town are requested to do so in civilian clothing.

What more can the organisers do?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:51 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

True, .. not a lot perhaps ... and the serious re-enactor will obey the rule, then again of course you do get the ego types among our ranks, and sad to say the wally wannabes who have nothing to do with re-enactment persay. They will be the ones who will ignore that rule, they will be the ones to spoil it all ... and unlike Pickering or ELR or numerous other events, with Ironbridge being a Heritage tourist place, what visitor there for the day will expect (or want) to see a German uniform when they are there for the place itself .. here more than anywhere else perhaps can I see the media having a real field day if someone is idiot enough, or allowed, to walk around the bridge/town area in axis uniform .. ??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next