WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:49 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Levisham 2018
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:49 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: I/II-AA Das Reich (W.A.R.S)
I received a phone call Saturday, and it is with great sadness, I have to inform you that due to the negative daily mail article about last year's show, the NYMR board have decided to end our tenure at Levisham station, effective immediately. In future, no Le Visham, no Axis displays. I've experienced anger, sadness and disbelief, but it is what it is. The station volunteers are all really upset and angry. They are not at fault here and remain our friends. We've had a good run together. Made a lot of friends, created some of the most amazing displays ever seen. Entertained a lot of folk and had a huge amount of fun. Focus on that. Be proud of your part in what became one of the most famous and iconic shows in the calendar.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Levisham 2018
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:47 pm 

sorry to here this Neil the paper has a reputation for stirring crap but unfortunatley most missinformed organisers get twitchy when the various laws etc are pointed out to the public this way. i dont see the paper having a go at the allied reenacters wearing ribbons for medals to which they are not entitled and have not been awarded, the american reenacters in particular are breaking the US law on stolen valour but i would assume it cant be enforced in the UK.

Private When i said there was a camel close by for you to ride i meant you could ride it into town !!!!!!!!!

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

http://vietnamreenactors.myfastforum.org

http://vietnamuk.moonfruit.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 13:22 pm 

UNBELIEVABLE!
There were two sides in the war and your displays, always excellent, depicted the axis side without prejudice or judgement. They were simply historical education and combined that education with a bit of fun.
How small minded of the organisers to scrap this very informative part of the whole event all because one opinionated newspaper wrote a derogatory article. The event will be a much poorer place without you. Thank you for all your efforts in the past.
Hope some of the NYMR event organisers read this. Shame!
Georgie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 13:39 pm 

from the article "The display of Nazi symbols is strictly prohibited in Germany, unless it is for historical or filming purposes.

This includes not only the swastika, but SS runes and falls under the 'incitement of the people' law, which also bans Holocaust denial.

Despite the historical purposes allowance, SS reenactors are also banned in the country, as they are in Austria. What the hell has this got to do with it we are in britain not germany or austria.

"The Public Order Act 1936 prohibits the wearing of political uniforms in public places or meetings and was passed to combat movements perceived as extreme, most notably Oswald Mosley's British Union of Fascists." once again this has little to do with anything as german wermacht or for that matter SS uniforms unless the black ones are not (in my opinion) political uniforms.

"But the wearing of Nazi uniforms as part of wartime reenactments is legal in the UK and tends to be a matter for those managing the events to judge."
Once again they mention "NAZIS" when there was no such thing as the nazi party or indeed no member of the party ever called themseves nazis, that word i believe was coined by churchill as a catch all for all germans during the war. Unfortunatly it has now become a bye word for the national socalist democratic party of that era.

"Re-enactors dressed as soldiers from both sides of the war, with some wearing SS stormtrooper badges "
As i understand it stormtroopers were an elite faction in WW1 and absolutley nothing to do with WW2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormtrooper

it is interesting to read some of the comments on the article

Private When i said there was a camel close by for you to ride i meant you could ride it into town !!!!!!!!!

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

http://vietnamreenactors.myfastforum.org

http://vietnamuk.moonfruit.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:59 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
That's a great shame Neil.

I wonder how many events are just one Daily Fail article away from pulling the plug too?

The article doesn't even f'ing well talk about any specific problems at the event!

I'm going to write an article about Crufts:

Quote:
Crufts was a dog show in Birmingham.

Last year 9,036 people were bitten by dogs in Australia.

In Canada a dog stole a car and ran over a child.

Dogs are banned in most museums in Paris.

The black death was caused by dogs scientists now believe.

Stick a few photos of dogs from Crufts looking a bit snarly and there you go, banned.

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:13 am 

Group: YWE organiser 2012,13,14,15,16,17,18.
Sad news indeed !
Your all more than welcome, to join us at the Yorkshire Wartime Experience Show 6-8th July www.ywe-event.info

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 13:32 pm 
3000+ Poster

Group: Za Oboronu! (For Defence!)
dcdl12976 wrote:
Once again they mention "NAZIS" when there was no such thing as the nazi party or indeed no member of the party ever called themseves nazis, that word i believe was coined by churchill as a catch all for all germans during the war. Unfortunatly it has now become a bye word for the national socalist democratic party of that era.

The D in NSDAP was for Deutsches not Democratic.

I've read it started out as an insult used by their German opponents in the 20s and 30s in response to them using Sozi for Sozialist. I have also read that they briefly tried to reclaim it but gave it up as a bad job.

Quote:
"Memory is deceptive because it is coloured by today's events." Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:30 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: "They Led the Way"
Words fail me!!

Good luck with everything else that you do mate.

Wullie

Wullie Mulgrew CSRT
http://theyledtheway.freeforums.org/index.php

http://www.facebook.com/theyledtheway.

Rangers Lead The Way!

https://www.wisepropertycare.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 16:15 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
Been watching a TV prog recently about NYMR, a year in the life, shot all last year I think it was ... ??
Thing being everyone on there, management etc seemed so sensible, with a good outlook too, the other thing was that I have noticed they had a theme for each program .. Start of the Year .. Easter .. Summer and I thought OK, the next one or the one after would be about the 1940's weekend ... strangely the fourth program last week wasn't aired .. its not on tonight again either .. given their actions over the Mail article you have to wonder I suppose if the ripples have spread .. ??

Damn Shame, ... I'm ashamed to say I only made 'Le Visham' once, well impressed, such a shame the 'PC' brigade can be allowed to get away with all that they do ... to the detriment of many many others ..!!

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 16:58 pm 

Correspondent wrote:
Thing being everyone on there, management etc seemed so sensible, with a good outlook too, the other thing was that I have noticed they had a theme for each program .. Start of the Year .. Easter .. Summer and I thought OK, the next one or the one after would be about the 1940's weekend ... strangely the fourth program last week wasn't aired .. its not on tonight again either .. given their actions over the Mail article you have to wonder I suppose if the ripples have spread .. ??

What a shame and just thought that I missed the programme.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:47 am 
Supporter

Group: Reduit im Luft Neutral Airforces Swiss & Dutch
Daily Mail.... scum of the earth. They can be truely proud of themselves, this time. I managed to make it to Levisham twice, when the event was on, and it was an amazing display of living history, the jewel in the crown. The public loved it, and it bore no relation to the pastiche/promenading elsewhere. If it had run its course, different matter. Perhaps a watery venue may welcome a schnelle boot or u-boot.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 16:45 pm 
 YIM  Profile

What a load of Bollocks!

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:05 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
You are referring to the Mail article and NYMR's response I trust ???

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 16:43 pm 

Makes you wonder who's running the daily mail these days???. Me think but better not say in writing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:27 am 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
pioneer64 wrote:
Makes you wonder who's running the daily mail these days???. Me think but better not say in writing.

If you examine their articles over the last dozen years you'll see they are pretty much equal opportunity haters.

They hate any and everything.

I suppose this one is because Germans are "foreigners" - it can't be for any other reasons...

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 14:34 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: That's so 2011...
So, not just referring to Levisham here....but there *has* been some very negative press and some of it was valid surely? So a large concern like NYMR is protecting its investors?

I remember this all being discussed when the old planning meetings used to take place in the late 90s and when axis troops were 'banned' the first time around. We all know that certain 'reenactors' made that situation worse with their behaviour...ignoring calls not to go into Pickering in axis kit etc so why are those same faces still welcomed on the scene?

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Green floor length 1930s evening dress with sleeves set on net.
Blue and white rayon dress with peplum
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]