WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 21:34 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: cleethorpes the END!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:24 am 

It is with great sadness, that we have had to cease 1940s events in Cleethorpes.

After last year's show, we had provisionally booked the site for 2018, and all was going well with arrangements etc, when just prior to Christmas we were informed by the owners of the site that our booking had been cancelled to allow a circus a 6 week run (as this was a more commercially viable booking). The site owners said they would give us (at no cost) a replacement date, which seemed to at least make the event viable, until we in early Feb, got the date. The date being offered was 7th and 8th July, the same weekend as both the Yorkshire War Experience and this year Woodhall Spa and Thorpe Camp. In our view this was not acceptable, and so the offer has been declined. Myself and the team, are so upset by the way we have been treated, that we have decided to call it a day here in Cleethorpes, and will no longer be putting on anymore 1940s events.

Can I personally thank all of those who have supported the event over the past 17 years (we started in a small way on the CCLR), and hope to see you all at events this year, again I can only apologize for the cancelled event, if anyone feels the need plese contact me.

This decision does NOT affect the Armed Forces Weekend, which is taking place on 29th 30th June and 1ST July, in the main resort area.

Chris

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: cleethorpes the END!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 22:51 pm 

Group: BBC War Reporting Unit
Gutted for us all - especially you guys :)

There seems to be a lot of this about - just been ousted from a site my other hobby's been using for 19 years. At one point you mentioned moving the event to Hull - there any mileage in that for 2019 ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:38 am 
Forum Legend

Group: That's so 2011...
Hull already has the veterans event but there are a lot of untapped venues...Might be worth you looking.

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Green floor length 1930s evening dress with sleeves set on net.
Blue and white rayon dress with peplum
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 14:05 pm 

Group: Northern Forties
Thanks Chris for letting us all know the situation. It is sad to see yet another event have to call it a day, but we do fully understand your predicament and those dates offered to you are a complete no-no as there are already so many events on that weekend already.
Look after yourself and if you do hear of anywhere else that the event may move to please keep us informed. Thanks for all the work you and your team have put in over the years!! Regards

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 0:18 am 
Forum Legend
 YIM  Profile

this is sad I was one of the first to attend the very first event and a lot of hard work went into the planning of it the end of an era chris very sad

Id sooner be 20 minutes late in this world than 20 years to soon in the next.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:39 am 

Group: Reichsgrenadier Div 'Hoch- und Deutschmeister'
Sorry to hear this Chris, my group the Hoch- und Deutschmeister, always enjoyed attending your event too!

Best wishes for the future and thanks for all your efforts for running this show in the past!