WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 13:52 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 14:01 pm 

Group: 2nd Btln Royal Warwicks
Not an organiser purely an attendee

http://www.thevictoryshow.co.uk/

We'll be part of a large, multi group display, representing British 3rd Infantry Division during Operation Market Garden.

In this we will have

The Suffolks LHG
The East Yorks LHG
Emma Gs LHG
245 Provost LHG
Royal Warwicks LHG

There should hopefully be a pretty impressive display, including vehicles.

Who else is heading along?

www.royalwarwicks.com

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 19:56 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: That's so 2011...
We're trading there, come and spend your cash with us. :D

https://www.facebook.com/edwardsshed/

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Green floor length 1930s evening dress with sleeves set on net.
Blue and white rayon dress with peplum
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 22:24 pm 

Group: 202 Auxiliary
Hopefully the Saturday, weather permitting.

Andy 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 21:45 pm 

Group: Civil Defenders
Sounds good - I love it when different groups get together to make a larger one - as I have seen at Victory. Our RAF group will be joining others to (hopefully) present a good groundcrew show.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 13:11 pm 

Miss Spitfire wrote:

May have to come and throw some money at you :wink: the Schuu mine you guys did for me is great! (Just need to bury it in the back garden for a few days)

Hopefully should look pretty darn good, feel free to pop over and say hello, I know you will anyway Andy :wink:

Are you going to have aircraft as part of the groundcrew display?

Also hoping to have a mobile cinema working for the event in the evening which will be open to all re-enactors and off duty traders, no charge and bring your own beer ( and seats). It's a pretty big IF it'll work though as I have a tendency to break things. Victory will be its first literal field test so if you see flames.... you know what's happened :lol:

www.royalwarwicks.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 13:20 pm 

Having second thoughts about the show. Entrance fee is twice as much as the other two events we were looking at for that weekend.

Andy 8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 13:30 pm 

It won't be cheap, then again it is I think one of the largest shows in the UK (ish). It's why you need to join a group! *nudge nudge* :wink:

www.royalwarwicks.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 14:57 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
At the risk of being contentious here, why would we have to be a member of a group, do groups get in cheaper, or is it that if the group is displaying then you can get in free, whether your part of the display or just there for the day.

I have heard, (dont shoot the messenger) that Crich is charging re-enactors to display ...???
I do know that at Beck Isle Museum in Pickering re-enactors pay to display there too, something I cant really get my head around as without re-enactors there for the public to see there is no event surely, so shouldn't it be the other way around .. ??

On this point too if I may .. where an event is being organised and run by re-enactors themselves, cant they make allowances for bone fide re-enactors that only want to visit for the day, a concessionary price, pre-booked if necessary .. as Andy points out above it can be costly ... and anyway too as re-enactors, walking around in accurate dress etc, that adds to the day for the MOPS ... and the event too ...... doesnt it .. ??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 15:31 pm 

Correspondent wrote:
At the risk of being contentious here, why would we have to be a member of a group, do groups get in cheaper, or is it that if the group is displaying then you can get in free, whether your part of the display or just there for the day.

I have heard, (dont shoot the messenger) that Crich is charging re-enactors to display ...???
I do know that at Beck Isle Museum in Pickering re-enactors pay to display there too, something I cant really get my head around as without re-enactors there for the public to see there is no event surely, so shouldn't it be the other way around .. ??

On this point too if I may .. where an event is being organised and run by re-enactors themselves, cant they make allowances for bone fide re-enactors that only want to visit for the day, a concessionary price, pre-booked if necessary .. as Andy points out above it can be costly ... and anyway too as re-enactors, walking around in accurate dress etc, that adds to the day for the MOPS ... and the event too ...... doesnt it .. ??

As far as I've seen it with most events, although not all, is that re-enactment groups that attend, either by invite or request, or part of the show itself. Therefore they are (generally) on site for free as they themselves are part of the entertainment (and are also covered by PLI to attend). Charging re-enactment groups to display seems a little counter intuitive to me personally as the public pay to enter to see the likes of the re-enactment groups. If the groups aren't there, the lesser the experience for the paying public. However if that's how some shows are being organised, fair enough, but I won't be taking my group there.

Some events have been known to pay for groups to attend (not a lot of shows though) but money is often offered to cover transport, especially in the case of period vehicles.

With regards to discount costs for individuals who are in period outfits, well outside my remit. Think it's a great idea but potentially difficult to enforce on the door (especially accuracy).

I suppose the bottom line is that if you don't want to pay the fee, don't go, if you have ideas you feel will make the show better, let the organisers know

www.royalwarwicks.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 15:55 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
Hi Will... I did pay myself one year to display at Beck Isle so I know that's a fact and I think it still happens, as for Crich if that's the way they are going then I think they will find groups will stop displaying, have to say though as ex Forces you can get into Crich for free by pre-booking and sending proof of service.

Which brings us to the other point of course ... hard to enforce on the day and at the gate as you say, but allowing for the fact that folks here and on FB of course, know of each other if not actually know each other, then perhaps a pre-booking system could be arranged with discounted tickets/passes sent out for day visitors as they do for attending groups ... over to the organisers on this I guess.

On being paid for an event, like a lot of others I don't do this for the money, but it does help of course and as an individual if asked I will ask for fuel money and/or where it is offered then I will take the expenses offered.

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 13:50 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
LeedsAndy wrote:
Having second thoughts about the show. Entrance fee is twice as much as the other two events we were looking at for that weekend.

I assume that you just wanted to come as a member of the public and maybe wear your gear?

In which case, unless the show is desperate for more uniforms (which Victory certainly isn't) then paying is the normal thing?

I mean, just because I turn up wearing some nomex overalls and a crash helmet, I don't get into a F1 race for nothing :)

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 15:14 pm 

Andrei Kozlov wrote:
LeedsAndy wrote:

I assume that you just wanted to come as a member of the public and maybe wear your gear?

In which case, unless the show is desperate for more uniforms (which Victory certainly isn't) then paying is the normal thing?

I mean, just because I turn up wearing some nomex overalls and a crash helmet, I don't get into a F1 race for nothing :)

Nah Andy and his Mrs come along to a LOT of the shows but are still deciding what to do impression wise and whether to join a group. Their civvie/ resistance/ Home Guard impression is great and always nice to see them at shows, sometimes I even take my kit off just for Andy :lol:

I think it's a pretty reasonable point to say if they've got a choice of shows price will be a factor on what to go to. Can recommend Stoke Bruerne though as an alternative :)

www.royalwarwicks.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 15:33 pm 
4000+ Poster

Group: Za Oberonyu! 13th GRD and WPFG
Ok, so I was right, the issue he was talking about was the ticket price as a punter.

Thats all I was trying to get to....

"I saw cities in Europe that were practically untouched by the war, countries that capitulated to the more powerful enemies even before war was declared, but we are not like that. Our grandfathers, our fathers, our older generation, our great leaders, fought here for each building, for each street." - First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on the 70th anniversary of victory at Stalingrad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 22:32 pm 

Andrei Kozlov wrote:
Ok, so I was right, the issue he was talking about was the ticket price as a punter.

Thats all I was trying to get to....

Yup it was just about the cost of tickets

The Victory show is £18
The Swindon & Cricklade Railway Event is £10
The Canal Event @ Stoke Bruerne is just £7.50

So we could attend the other two Events for less than it would cost us to go to the Victory show.

And as for Shifty without his top this is not the time of night to go in to that, it would give people nightmares.

Andy 8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:44 am 

:shock: :twisted: Too much Shifty to handle :wink:

www.royalwarwicks.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:52 am 
Forum Legend

Group: That's so 2011...
Shifty wrote:
Miss Spitfire wrote:

May have to come and throw some money at you :wink: the Schuu mine you guys did for me is great! (Just need to bury it in the back garden for a few days)

Oh please do! :D Lots of goodies and some original militaria tooooo

Be very careful about loaning original items...also, please keep an eye out for :
*Still missing* Because some folks are devoid of an ounce of honesty or integrity.
Women's Navy Great Coat
Green floor length 1930s evening dress with sleeves set on net.
Blue and white rayon dress with peplum
Black velvet halter necked dress with silver shot thread skirt (may still have Harrods label in it) I have photos of all of these items and I know where they are in Scunthorpe, but would appreciate a nod if they come up for sale. [/color]