WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:00 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Peak Rail 2016
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 13:17 pm 

Group: lha 1st division
PEAK RAIL 1940S WEEKEND
Saturday – Sunday - August 6th – 7th - 2016
Peak Rail Rowsley Station, Nr Matlock, Derbyshire. - Postcode: DE4 2LF (East Midlands)
Peak Rail is a Steam Railway running from the middle of Matlock to Rowsley in delightful Derbyshire Countryside. This event is a unique opportunity to experience life in World War 2 from civilian and military perspectives. There will be non stop period entertainment in the marquee from a variety of performers. These include cabaret artist Paul Harper, Natasha Harper, The Ashby (little) Big Band (playing hits from the 40s), swing dancers, and more. Visit the French café in occupied France and look out for the French Resistance on the trains. Across the lines opposing German and Russian forces will be dug-in in the woods. Interact with British and US forces as they prepare to defeat the 3rd Reich. Expect them to come under attack through the day from snipers, and injured troops return to a US field hospital by train or vehicle. Each day reenactors will stage a battle featuring Russian, American, and German forces, culminating in German surrenders. Home Front re-enactors will recreate scenes from WW2, exhibits include an Anderson Shelter, and local Spitfire Fundraising. There will be a wide range of civilian and military vehicles and equipment from the period. Vintage traders will be at Rowsley. Darley Dale station with its original buildings will have a Home Front theme, period educational films will be playing. Matlock Station is right in the middle of Matlock, and it’s a short walk up the main street where there are many vintage and antique shops.
Booking enquiries by:
Email: peakrail@peakrail.co.uk Visit: www.peakrail.co.uk

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
 Post subject: Re: Peak Rail 2016
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:18 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
Going to try this one this coming weekend .... arriving for the day by car so can anyone advise the best place to park for the event as a whole please ??

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 21:53 pm 

Group: 1st Infantry Division (USA)
Last yr you could park right next to the event, large parking area of hard standing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 22:59 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Sounds good .. thanks

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:06 am 
1000+ Poster

Group: Independant, AFRA Member
Hopefully see you there on the Sat Allen ?

S.L."A" Flight, 105 Sqn, 8 Group PPF

2nd S.A.S. Forward Recce

Glider Pilot Regiment Sgt Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 13:06 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Yes, hope we run into each other ... looking forward to it as its a new one for me .....

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:10 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

So ... Peak Rail ... yes liked the setting, some good displays, very few traders though, if you go for that of course, but some folks do ... Surprised there wasn't more going on at the other stations, OK its a very short line its true .. but there seemed to be little to attract folks to travel ??

I found it very quiet compared to what I had been led to believe it would be, then again it was Saturday folks are working or shopping, and there was a massive steam traction rally event just then other side of Matlock which wouldn't help, perhaps I chose the wrong day, who knows, I liked it though, great setting, saw some old friends, met some new ones and will give it a try again next year .

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 16:15 pm 

Group: Beyond the Chindwin, Burma campaign.
Agreed, first time for us, great spot they gave us and a lovely location.
Show was very, very quiet.

I'd go back again though.

Chindits, 1st Batt South Staffordshire regt - Operation Thursday.

2nd Batt King's African rifles, Burma campaign.

CORA Combined operations reenactors association.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 14:27 pm 

Group: non
did the show as a trader for the past 12 years but after last year not any more trade pushed out to side nothing to say where we was not bothered about us at all so will not be going back and as for the steam rally it is on same weekend for years and does not affect show at all but think the show as lost the loyality value and fairly expensive for re enactors and one of the big vehicles went as was going to be charge to come on to the site £12 each so they turn round and went into matlock. use to love the show but feel let down

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 19:46 pm 

Been going to Peak Rail for about 6/7 years now as it's local. This year as Home Guard 5th Derbys. It isn't as big as it was but the battle was better this year than last year and Paul Harper no longer does his Richard Dimbleby impression!
There is only one station, Darley Dale, between Rowsley South and Matlock. There has been Home Guard based at Darley Dale before but not this year and being a single line trains are over a hour apart. I rode to Matlock and never got off and spent 54 mins from the event. If you got off at Matlock you'd spend 2 hours 8 mins away from the event. It's not a Yorkshire Moors Railway event. I thought Saturday was busy as the carriages were quite full.
Trade, as mentioned, has fallen off. As Elvis says, these event organisers just don't appreciate why we do this and the cost, dedication and expertise involved. It wouldn't be a 40s event without 40s reenactors and they don't seem to realise that their actions will slowly kill the event.
Peak Rail 'peaked' a few years ago as an event maybe the 40s interest peaked as well. But it's a nice setting, a pleasant train ride and always friendly reenactors to have a natter to.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 22:27 pm 

Group: lha 1st division
Many thanks to all groups who came. And if anyone lost a leather belt at the back of the loco shed - maybe near a trailer that was parked there, give me a shout and I can mail it you. (Description required!)

Tried to get groups at Darley, we started out in 2000 with all home front at Darley, and anything else at Rowsley, but unless there's enough there folks feel a bit left out, and the General Manager doesn't like things happening she can't monitor.....

We could run a 2 train service but there would be a train waiting to arrive at Rowsley whilst the battle was on. And we haven't enough engines at the moment.....

We moved traders to a variety of locations, none of which seem to satisfy them. Its not really an event run for the benefit of traders though.

All booked 'big vehicles' arrived. If the folks at the gate can make judgements about whether people can come in for free or not depending upon their vehicle/dress there are going to be arguments. Book first.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:26 am 

Group: non
harveycoppock wrote:
Many thanks to all groups who came. And if anyone lost a leather belt at the back of the loco shed - maybe near a trailer that was parked there, give me a shout and I can mail it you. (Description required!)

Tried to get groups at Darley, we started out in 2000 with all home front at Darley, and anything else at Rowsley, but unless there's enough there folks feel a bit left out, and the General Manager doesn't like things happening she can't monitor.....

We could run a 2 train service but there would be a train waiting to arrive at Rowsley whilst the battle was on. And we haven't enough engines at the moment.....

We moved traders to a variety of locations, none of which seem to satisfy them. Its not really an event run for the benefit of traders though.

All booked 'big vehicles' arrived. If the folks at the gate can make judgements about whether people can come in for free or not depending upon their vehicle/dress there are going to be arguments. Book first.

quite right no event should be run for traders but every show needs traders as they bring valuable revenue go all over the country advertising what shows they are going to and have like my self web sites that again advertise the shows but it seems a few show seem to treat traders as a second thought putting up prices or putting them in places where they do not have a chance to even try to make a living.remember doing peak rail where there was 14 traders of all descriptions and the show was a big show but as the years have gone by got less and less.you may not think you need traders fine traders will find elsewhere no problem but it is bad that even local traders will not support you as can not make a living. not asking for much reasonable spot signs to show where trade is and advertising 5 shows this year sent me leaflets to hand out all over on my stall and for Saddleworth and Meltham, papplewick and even Twinwood gave out over a 1000 leasflets