WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 18:54 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Re: Levisham 2018
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 22:50 pm 
Supporter

Group: Reduit im Luft Neutral Airforces Swiss & Dutch
Looking at the 2018 programme, looks like Pickering is going into Levisham with a very unsubtle size ten boot.

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 14:00 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: I/II-AA Das Reich (W.A.R.S)
Not sure what you mean. 2018 display is over. Purile crap that didn't drag in the public. Was there from Friday night till Sunday morning helping the station staff where I could.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 19:47 pm 
Supporter

Precisely, the kind of stuff that would normally go on in Pickering or elswhere, but which the public wouldn't expect to see at Levisham.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 13:25 pm 
1000+ Poster

Masses of complaints went in, but what's done is done.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 15:45 pm 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
I was displaying at Newark Air Museum a month or so back and the topic of Levisham came up, there was a lady at my display who overheard what was being said, the conjecture etc about why NYMR has done what it has with regard to German re-enactors, and it transpired she was, she said, a member of NYMR and on some Committee or other there, I wont go into the detail of the conversations, but from the horses mouth so as to speak, it is about politics and money, NYMR desperately needs to repair three bridges on the line otherwise they may be closed, they have appealed to the Lottery for a grant to get the bridges done, and given the media (mis)attention regarding German uniform and insignia etc, there was some disquiet about the displays at Levisham, in a nutshell it seems it is being suggested to NYMR, pressure put on them, that they will have a better chance of getting the money if there is nothing untoward in the background to cause problems, ie; the German side of things. Make of all that what you will, as I say, this was a lady who did seem to know a lot about the inner dealings of NYMR and I can only tell you what she told us at the time, suffice to say it is it seems definitely back door politics that are involved in this decision and possibly too machinations and pressure from the Lottery Foundation grant people themselves..

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:55 am 
1000+ Poster

The ladies take on this is just about correct. It would seem a PR company retained by the line suggested this, and it also being a factor in being awarded season 2 of the TV documentary.. That said, the organisation has had grants in the past, even with our presence there, but the Daily Mail article, sank all hope. Without that article, they would have had the best of both worlds. TV, Fantastic displays and money from the Lottery.
The probability that elements within the organisation (and without) actually invited the Daily Mail, is however high.
As I said, what's done is done.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:42 am 
3000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Group: Independant
True Neil ... but oh boy, how it stinks ... and what price integrity on the part of NYMR ... ?

8th USAAF
Somewhere in England

... " I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals " ...

... " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them " ...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 18:25 pm 
Supporter

The grant(s) for the bridges would be specific payments, soon spent and gone. By retaining and improving on the 'Le Visham' display, which the NYMR had, they stood to rake in money for years to come, from tens of thousands of happy visitor-customers.

Perhaps a sea port somewhere, with naval history needs a Kriegsmarine Schnelle boot/U Boot display angle ? What happened to the hulk-Schnelle Boot, which Bruce Compton was sourcing bits for ? The shanty festival at Harwich falls around the same time as Le Visham +/- a week. Or if military matters have improved at Chatham ? There needs to be a welcoming venue somewhere, to present a balanced display to the public, possibly on a permanent basis.