WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 20:13 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 13:34 pm 

Group: The Buffs 1939-1945
Hello

I have yet another question for this forum, I own both the red regiment shoulder titles for the Buffs and also the epaulette slide on ones in BD colour. I was wondering if anyone might be able to enlighten me as to when the red titles came in and if/when they replaced the slip on ones?

Thank you very much

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 23:02 pm 

White lettering on red, apparently was around post ww2 mentions as far back as the 1920s and into 30's.With all the Army council directives during the early war years, stopping wearing insignia for security purposes, it seems to become official June 1943 to wear all insignia, Inc shoulder, arm of service divisional etc.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 18:48 pm 

scottgpw42 wrote:
White lettering on red, apparently was around post ww2 mentions as far back as the 1920s and into 30's.With all the Army council directives during the early war years, stopping wearing insignia for security purposes, it seems to become official June 1943 to wear all insignia, Inc shoulder, arm of service divisional etc.

Thank you very much for that, so essentially, it was only worn post 1943? Do you know of any cases of it being worn unofficially before that date?

Thank you again

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 22:33 pm 

Sorry, should have written pre Ww2 not post, unofficial wearing, was common place, various regiments even changed the colour schemes, pride mostly in their own regiment to look different, the white on red being the normal, that's obviously for infantry . In reference books you see alot more wearing of insignia especially 1943 onwards, I suppose because of build up of troops for dday in France. Need being for identification, my great uncle served in Italy, you don't see many regimental shoulder insignia, mostly division patches etc.in pictures.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 18:52 pm 

scottgpw42 wrote:
Sorry, should have written pre Ww2 not post, unofficial wearing, was common place, various regiments even changed the colour schemes, pride mostly in their own regiment to look different, the white on red being the normal, that's obviously for infantry . In reference books you see alot more wearing of insignia especially 1943 onwards, I suppose because of build up of troops for dday in France. Need being for identification, my great uncle served in Italy, you don't see many regimental shoulder insignia, mostly division patches etc.in pictures.

Ah ok I see, thank you very much, very useful stuff.