WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:31 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

Post subject: Durham Light Infantry
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 22:20 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

The DLI corporal in this photo is wearing coloured chevrons and there is another NCO in a different battalion wearing the same on his 'combat' BD. According to Bouchery (I know, I know), the DLI coloured chevrons are buff on dark green. These don't appear to be that colour combo. Thoughts?

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 22:32 pm 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
It's a troublesome photo in several regards.
Where are all the iron cross, ostfront and assault badges on the Germans? They are mostly lacking litzen too.
Sorry I don't know about the DLI chevrons.

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
"Truth is incontrovertible, ignorance can deride it, panic may resent it, malice may destroy it, but there it is."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:43 pm 
Forum Legend

Group: Unable to commit
I suspect the NCO is 9th Bn, who had a Black Diamond behind their Capbadge - I believe that they were originally Rifle Militia, hence the Rifle Bde(?) Chevrons. (further to this the entire Bde was made up of Territorial Bns, their histories are below)

6th Battalion

The 6th was formed in 1860 as one of Durhams several rifle volunteer admin battalions. Numbered as 2nd, the battalion was consolidated as the 2nd Durham Rifle Volunteer Corps in 1880. It consisted of six companies and had its headquarters at Bishop Auckland. The 2nd Corps later became the 2nd Volunteer Battalion, Durham Light Infantry, and as such was awarded the battle honour, `South Africa 1900-02'.

During the First World War, the 1/6th suffered heavy casualties at Ypres and as a result was temporarily amalgamated with the 8th Durhams to form 6th/8th Battalion. The 2/6th, as part of the 59th Division, served in France as a garrison guard battalion, and the 3/6th became part of the 5th (Reserve) Battalion in 1916.

In 1940, the battalion went to France with the BEF. It later fought at El Alamein and was to take part in the June 1944 assault landings in Normandy. The battalion is now represented by D (Rifles) Company, 5th Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers at Bishop Auckland.

8th Battalion

The 8th Durham Light Infantry was originally the 4th Durham Rifle Volunteer Corps, which had been formed in 1860 by the amalgamation of several Durham rifle companies. The 4th consisted of ten companies, many of which dated from the beginning of the Volunteer Movement in 1859.

In 1887 the 4th Durham RVC became the 4th Volunteer Battalion, Durham Light Infantry, and in 1908 its C Company transferred as the Durham University Contingent of the Officers Training Corps. The remainder of the battalion provided the 8th Durham Light Infantry which saw active service throughout France and Belgium during the First World War.

In the Second World War, the battalion served in N Africa, and in 1944 was involved in the assault landings in Normandy. The 8th DLI is now represented by D (Rifles) Company, 5th Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers at Bishop Auckland.

9th Battalion

In 1880 the 5th Durham Rifle Volunteer Corps was formed by the amalgamation of several rifle volunteer units from the Gateshead, South Shields, Blaydon Burn and Winlaton areas. The 5th later became the 5th Volunteer Battalion, Durham Light Infantry, and in 1908 the regiment's 9th Territorial Battalion.

Members of the battalion served in South Africa during the Boer War. In 1914 three battalions were provided for war service, two members gaining the Victoria Cross while serving in France.

In the Second World War the battalion also saw service in N Africa, Sicily and NW Europe. Another Victoria Cross was awarded to a member of the 9th Durhams, Pte. Adam Wakenshaw, for his part in an action at Mersa Matruh in the Western Desert on 27 June 1942. Wakenshaw was killed that day and is buried in the El Alamein War Cemetery in Egypt.

In 1948 the battalion was converted as the 17th Battalion, Parachute Regiment. This battalion is now represented as part of the 4th (Volunteer) Battalion of the Regiment.

Quote from Wikipedia

Lo, There Do They Call To Me, And Beg Me To Take My Place
In The Halls Of Valhalla, Where the Brave Shall Live Forever

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

One enemy is never enough, two is far too many
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."
Jo Hukam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 13:48 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

It just seems odd that they should wear rifles rather than their own coloured chevrons. I wonder how many DLI reenactors would get away with that at an event?

The problem for me is that the backing looks like it isn't green as well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 14:15 pm 
Forum Legend

It's not - It's KRRC, Red backing...
As for re-enactors getting away with it - its a TA thing...

In the chaos of battle, when the ground beneath your feet is a slurry of blood, puke, p**s and the entrails of friends and enemies alike, it's easy to turn to the gods for salvation. But it's soldiers who do the fighting, and soldiers who do the dying, and the gods never get their feet wet.

Jo Hukam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 14:34 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Oggy, as always, thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 15:05 pm 
Forum Legend

No Worries Thomas

Jo Hukam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 16:15 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Vickers MG Collection & Research Association
'I suspect the NCO is 9th Bn, who had a Black Diamond behind their Capbadge'

When Montys men chose to portray the 9th Bn DLI a couple of years ago we had a lot of help from the DLI Museum
And had access to there photo archive the 9th didn't wear a black diamond but a square of rifle green.

http://www.living-history.org.uk/mm/index.htm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Collecting anything related to the HBMGC/Tank corps, RTC and RTR 1916 to 1945

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 16:49 pm 
1000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

So it wasn't 9th DLI then? Do we know who it is? They're clearly (I can see now) wearing red stripes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 18:05 pm 
Forum Legend

So it's either the 6th or 8th Bn...

Jo Hukam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 19:14 pm 

This a photo of 9th DLI.

I can take you to the exact spot in a sunken lane just outside Lingeveres where this was taken. The prisoners are from the Panzer-Lehr. Its from a well known series of AFPU pictures of the Medical section of the 9th...

The stripes are buff on rifle green and I believe appear dark as discussed in this thread here:-

viewtopic.php?f=81&t=74350

If they are the red stripes (Still a possibility) then he would be a member of 6th Bn which was the battalion that moved through the 9th while they held Lingeveres.

PJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 0:33 am 

Group: BEF Society, Spirit of Britain
Here's another picture identified on http://durhamlightinfantry.webs.com as Sgt Ingram, 6 DLI. Again the stripes look like black on red, as worn by the KRRC, so are these two men 6th battalion?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 21:26 pm 

Group: V.E.R.A
interesting thread!! I am thinking of badging up as DLI.....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:30 am 
Forum Legend

canloan wrote:
This a photo of 9th DLI.

I can take you to the exact spot in a sunken lane just outside Lingeveres where this was taken. The prisoners are from the Panzer-Lehr. Its from a well known series of AFPU pictures of the Medical section of the 9th...

The stripes are buff on rifle green and I believe appear dark as discussed in this thread here:-

viewtopic.php?f=81&t=74350

If they are the red stripes (Still a possibility) then he would be a member of 6th Bn which was the battalion that moved through the 9th while they held Lingeveres.

PJ

It's just the 50th Div Flash shows up as roughly the same shades - confusing isn't the word. However, thinking about the units involved and their histories, I may have a solution...

Jo Hukam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:31 am 
Forum Legend

brummie76 wrote:
interesting thread!! I am thinking of badging up as DLI.....

The Durham Pals may be able to help more Brummie...

Jo Hukam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 15:57 pm 

Group: V.E.R.A
yeah they may do Oggy! but i am currently trying to get cash together for new ww1 kit....when that is done i may look at ww2 DLI?? I just cant believe there are so few groups (if any) in this country who portray DLI?