WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 20:37 pm

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:07 am 

Group: They Led The Way
Hi guys wondering how much a full set up with deac mk vII 2 inch mortar, box, ammo holder with handle and the three tubes, cleaning brush, inert round and tool box with tools cost?

Also how common was it for the mortar to be carried in the small pack with canvas top over mortar?

Cheers, Scott

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 22:22 pm 
1000+ Poster

Group: Stars and Stripes LHG
A deact 2" mortar original not a replica dummy that you usually see at shows would for some strange reason fetch quite a high price over £500 if not more. These are only the spade plate models with the short angle iron base. The larger base plate mode used in earlier conflicts, well I have never seen one for sale or seen one in anyone collection for the years I have been collecting 2" mortar items. As for a transit box you would not really need this as this would be stored in an armoury but it's nice to have one to store your mortar in, that's if you have room to keep it. You would also need the carriers that hold the bombs which there are two type early and late war. The early one's made up of three thick cardboard tubes strapped together with metal end caps used right up and beyond the end of the war go for very silly money about £250, the late war carriers consists of a square metal frame that hold three loose cardboard tubes each carrier of both types hold 6 bombs, hard to find if your lucky. The mortar would have a cleaning kit pouch similar to the Bren pouch that include a two piece brush handle a brush head tin of oil, a tin of spares, a spanner and cleaning lint to swab the bore. You would also need the bombs which there are quite a few variants including HE, smoke, WP smoke, signal, para illum. Usually with rounds you would have smoke and HE together being the most commonly used. Wartime original smoke rounds are really hard to get hold of, most of the round are difficult to find in their original finish. Quite an expensive set up to gather
Not sure about your last question the mortar was carried on a Bren sling with a canvas bore cap strapped to the muzzle the earlier version was carried around like a Bren from a handle and was stored in a vehicle until needed. There was no small pack.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 0:06 am 

30thcammo wrote:
A deact 2" mortar original not a replica dummy that you usually see at shows would for some strange reason fetch quite a high price over £500 if not more. These are only the spade plate models with the short angle iron base. The larger base plate mode used in earlier conflicts, well I have never seen one for sale or seen one in anyone collection for the years I have been collecting 2" mortar items. As for a transit box you would not really need this as this would be stored in an armoury but it's nice to have one to store your mortar in, that's if you have room to keep it. You would also need the carriers that hold the bombs which there are two type early and late war. The early one's made up of three thick cardboard tubes strapped together with metal end caps used right up and beyond the end of the war go for very silly money about £250, the late war carriers consists of a square metal frame that hold three loose cardboard tubes each carrier of both types hold 6 bombs, hard to find if your lucky. The mortar would have a cleaning kit pouch similar to the Bren pouch that include a two piece brush handle a brush head tin of oil, a tin of spares, a spanner and cleaning lint to swab the bore. You would also need the bombs which there are quite a few variants including HE, smoke, WP smoke, signal, para illum. Usually with rounds you would have smoke and HE together being the most commonly used. Wartime original smoke rounds are really hard to get hold of, most of the round are difficult to find in their original finish. Quite an expensive set up to gather
Not sure about your last question the mortar was carried on a Bren sling with a canvas bore cap strapped to the muzzle the earlier version was carried around like a Bren from a handle and was stored in a vehicle until needed. There was no small pack.

Thank you mate! :) everything and more answered!

Scoty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:44 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: pegasusww2displays. the garrison 69th field
All that I could add is that the carrying of the 2" mortar under the flap of the small pack was only done by the airborne using the short barrel mortar. The mortar came in 2 barrel lengths the normal full length one being too long for across the shoulders.

It may of interest to you, I make the webbing sleeve and muzzle cover for the 2" inch.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 15:00 pm 
1000+ Poster

How much are your muzzle covers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 15:41 pm 
 WWW  Profile

30thcammo wrote:
How much are your muzzle covers.

PMd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 18:04 pm 

pegasus-drive wrote:
All that I could add is that the carrying of the 2" mortar under the flap of the small pack was only done by the airborne using the short barrel mortar. The mortar came in 2 barrel lengths the normal full length one being too long for across the shoulders.

It may of interest to you, I make the webbing sleeve and muzzle cover for the 2" inch.

Thats nice mate!!

Thanks i may be in touch!

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 14:15 pm 
4000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

Hi pegasus-drive, intrested in how much the muzzel cover is please.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:08 am 
 WWW  Profile

snowyx2622 wrote:
Hi pegasus-drive, intrested in how much the muzzel cover is please.

Pmd.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 22:09 pm 
3000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: Poor Bloody Infantry
I know a guy who can make replica ones that are very good and i think they are a lot less than £500 if anyone wanted one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 19:19 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Allied Assortment
I have a replica 2" Airborne mortar for sale if anyone is interested

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 19:25 pm 
1000+ Poster

Gadge wrote:
I know a guy who can make replica ones that are very good and i think they are a lot less than £500 if anyone wanted one.

The guy I think is from Poland and makes the base plate mortar as well. The original airborne mortar spade plate is flat along the firing mechanism so it lays flat as opposed to the picture's shown on this page where it would be awkward to pack on stow for airborne use.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:39 am 
1000+ Poster

You have to go back to the 1980's for the last time a batch of the early mortars came out with the large base plate complete with transit boxes.

I know someone who has a quantity of the later mortars and intended to make up the earlier base plates, but it has already taken him over 15 years and I can't ever see him getting round to completing the project. From memory there were Belgium manufactured 2" Mortars being sold at one time so make sure you get a British one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 13:37 pm 
1000+ Poster

A early base plate would be nice to have. Makes you wonder where they all went to.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:53 am 
1000+ Poster

The vast majority of the early ones were rebuilt to the later spec. Very few in early spec survived and only a small number appeared on the market.