WWIIReenacting.co.uk Forums

Uniting UK Re-enactors since 2003

It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:15 am

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:21 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: FSSF-UK
Swiper wrote:
Cracking stuff however I feel that a good 14 man Compo ration is crying out for work as well ;)

Totally agree, though getting the information is like trying to find hen's teeth... Though I've put feelers out...

I have to agree, biltong is real nice, and I'm setting up my own drying/curing box :roll: I'd say it could have been shredded and compacted, or perhaps just a slab as in the same thickness as the thickest biltong...

One thing, I note from the last photo it mentions "though they may have different sizes" this even with the geeky Americans on their pedantic specifications stipulated tolerances in the actual sizes, and even in some cases just the weight, which is very much open to interpretation, this "I've got an original, so that's the only way it was" fails in my opinion... As long as the box can fit in a greatcoat pocket, it's good enough for us as it was good enough for them... :wink: :D

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

Support the Forum
END OF YEAR OFFER - HALF PRICE SUPPORTER MEMBERSHIPS - CLICK THE BANNER TO READ MORE AND SUPPORT THE FORUM

Username
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 16:28 pm 

perhaps just a slab as in the same thickness as the thickest biltong...

I thought about that too, but in the few pics i have seen the block of meat is rarely less than an inch thick. The thickest billy I have ever seen, & I have seen a lot, some of which has been dried by "Geniuses of the Billy world" is about 1/2 - 9/16" cured & that's a bloody THICK steak before its been dried, getting anything thicker than that to cure successfully would be a real challenge. I don't mind "experimenting" but giving myself terminal food poisoning is going beyond the call of duty. Also the thing that makes me think it was sort of flaked or similar is the descriptions I have heard of the blocks disintegrating in hot water. Billy would not do this.

Saddle, are you using a 60W light box for your billy box? Or a fancier construction?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:11 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

General Ignorance wrote:
perhaps just a slab as in the same thickness as the thickest biltong...

I thought about that too, but in the few pics i have seen the block of meat is rarely less than an inch thick. The thickest billy I have ever seen, & I have seen a lot, some of which has been dried by "Geniuses of the Billy world" is about 1/2 - 9/16" cured & that's a bloody THICK steak before its been dried, getting anything thicker than that to cure successfully would be a real challenge. I don't mind "experimenting" but giving myself terminal food poisoning is going beyond the call of duty. Also the thing that makes me think it was sort of flaked or similar is the descriptions I have heard of the blocks disintegrating in hot water. Billy would not do this.

Saddle, are you using a 60W light box for your billy box? Or a fancier construction?

This place recommends a 100w, I'm planning on making a sturdier construction, but check this out:

http://www.biltongbox.info/how-to-build-a-biltong-box/

Strange, they only post in my threads when it's controversial, seems they want to vent their spleens whilst claiming victimhood ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEwVpWFyy3M

"I don't use the pozi net ,because there are too many left wing oversensitive retards on there..."

"I reflect on the infamous 1987 photograph by American artist Andres Serrano that depicts a crucifix submerged in a glass of the artist's urine. I remember all the leftists that jeered and mocked me, and many Christians like me, for being bruised by that photograph (the title of which I would rather not verbalize). They scoffed and told us to get a life. These are the same people today, unsurprisingly, who are stridently arguing for curtailment of free speech not to offend Muslims."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:35 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Here's a thing, does anyone put metal strapping on their overseas US Army repro boxes?

I know, the answer is a resounding "NO"...

This is something missing on the repro C and K wooden crates, I'm looking at his if anyone is interested...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 23:23 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Group: Vereniging Historische Militaria
I will be in London tomorrow and leave again on sunday. Will see what I can dig up there concerning the 24h Rat pack.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:32 am 

I received a batch of Paddy's labels yesterday & can't get over what brilliant quality they are!

Top marks for a superb product, certainly a big improvement of some of the rubbish I have bought in the past.

Keep up the good work Paddy!

Mark F

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:57 am 
4000+ Poster
 YIM  Profile

paddys labels and money are all the best ive seen. the blokes tops to deal with to.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 23:02 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Researching the 24hr ration, reading Anthony Clayton's book "battlefield rations", he writes about the troops in Italy they where given a "24hr ration pack - bully beef*, chocolate, biscuits, tea and a hexamine burner"...

By 1944 in Normandy (he writes), they where given, well, the one we all know so well here...

Also, upon reading through the US Army QMC book, whilst they where testing the K rations in Sept. 1942, they gave some to the Canadians to try out, comparing them with their "mess tin ration"...

My thoughts;
What is this "mess tin ration"?

Does this mean that the Brit 24 hr ration was simpler in Italy than the Normandy one?

Perhaps the "mess tin ration" and "24hr ration" are one and the same?

* I'm presuming a tinned item ...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:10 am 
4000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

Group: AFRA
That looks a lot like a sardine can in the mess tin to the far right?

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
"Truth is incontrovertible, ignorance can deride it, panic may resent it, malice may destroy it, but there it is."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:32 am 

As posted on the FB group...

Below are a couple of quotes from the War Office publication "OPERATIONAL FEEDING
THE USE OF FIELD RATIONS
1942"

"B. TYPES OF RATION.
The following are types of ration issued in operations involving landings in areas where normal supplies are not immediately available...

(a) The mes.~ tin ration or 48-hour ration"

It continues

"2. Mess tin ration. This consists of tinned commodities of a sustaining nature packed in a form suitable for carrying in the two halves of a mess tin, together with a Tommy cooker, which contains enough solidified fuel to make hot drinks. The food items are :-preserved meat, bisouits and dripping, which are suitable for a breakfast meal; and cheese, chocolate and boiled sweets which make a suitable mid-day meal or haversack ration, and in addition there is a tin of tea powder ready mixed with dry milk and sugar which will make a mug of tea with each cooked meal. There are NO cigarettes. This ration is issued either before embarking, if the voyage is a short one, or during the voyage if it is a long one-BUT-wherever the ration is issued, it is important to remember that it is for consumption during the first two days after disembarkation. Therefore, troops must not get inquisitive and sample the tins before they disembark or they will go hungry after landing, when they really require good feeding. The ration must be packed in the mess tin in accordance with the diagram issued with the rations, and produced intact when instructed for inspection by an officer, which should be a daily routine. Opening the tins before landing may result in salt water getting into the biscui·ts or tea mixture and making them useless. It will be the only food for the first two days and if lost or eaten
before disembarkat.ion NO MORE CAN BE PROVIDED DURING THIS PERIOD."

It also lists the following...

Emergency ration. (a small tin box about the size of a 2-oz. tobacco tin)
Armoured fighting vehicle ration pack.
Composite ration (14-man pack).

Notice no 24hr ration pack. This would suggest that it was introduced sometime after 1942 and I would also suggest that the issue of 2 x 24hr rations replaced the 'Mess Tin' ration because it was lighter, better packaged and actually fitted into a mess tin (which judging by the description I doubt the same could be said of the 'mess tin ration'.)

Ed Storey's article in 'VICTUALLING THE TROOPS' (The Armourers, Sept / Oct 2005) seems to also support this idea. It also has an interesting period picture of the mess tin ration which differs somewhat to the picture posted at the start of this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:41 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

So prior to at least Overlord, they where simply:
"24hr ration pack - bully beef*, chocolate, biscuits, tea and a hexamine burner"..."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:29 am 

Group: Special Operations Australia
SaddleTramp wrote:
Researching the 24hr ration, reading Anthony Clayton's book "battlefield rations", he writes about the troops in Italy they where given a "24hr ration pack - bully beef*, chocolate, biscuits, tea and a hexamine burner"...

By 1944 in Normandy (he writes), they where given, well, the one we all know so well here...

Also, upon reading through the US Army QMC book, whilst they where testing the K rations in Sept. 1942, they gave some to the Canadians to try out, comparing them with their "mess tin ration"...

My thoughts;
What is this "mess tin ration"?

Does this mean that the Brit 24 hr ration was simpler in Italy than the Normandy one?

Perhaps the "mess tin ration" and "24hr ration" are one and the same?

* I'm presuming a tinned item ...

The ration in the sardine-style can in the mess tin was, funnily enough, not called a "mess tin ration" and was very different to the Canadian Mess Tin Ration, which itself was a similar format to the British 24hr ration. The ration in the big sardine-style tin in the picture is a British Jungle Ration Mk. 1.

It was a trials item issued to British troops in the Far East in 1942, and it contained several components which would later appear in the 24 hr Ration. It was issued with a normal 12 oz tin of preserved meat and some tobacco, thus comprising the full Jungle Ration Mk. 1 for one man for 24 hours.

Mystery solved I hope :-)

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:26 am 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254209470475 ... 1555.l2649

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 15:30 pm 
5000+ Poster
 WWW  Profile

New and improved 24 hour ration:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254236599198